Persistent Standing Policy | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Persistent Standing Policy

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The law is the law end of! However, and it's not Argyle's fault, all seaters have killed the rawness of what used to be.

I see both sides of the debate, the club is exactly right in the way it's dealing with it but I do really understand the ire of those that want to stand.

Someone explain to me again how Exeter City fans are allowed to stand and Plymouth Argyle fans are not? I know it's a rhetorical question but it does point the silliness of what the administrators are trying to do.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
No win situation for the club...

They are trying to do the right thing but many want to stand up, this is where the stewards get flack, they will try to enforce this but will get shouted down.....then it's the inevitable 'our stewards are knobs'

No win

Aug 5, 2016
IJN":258rorbh said:
The law is the law end of however, and it's not Argyle's fault, all seaters have killed the rawness of what used to be.

I see both sides of the debate, the club is exactly right in the way it's dealing with it but I do really understand the ire of those that want to stand.

Someone explain to me again how Exeter City fans are allowed to stand and Plymouth Argyle fans are not? I know it's a rhetorical question but it does point the silliness of what the administrators are trying to do.

It would be nice if the club turned a blind eye to the back half of the Devonport end, let those who wish to stand do so without obscuring the views of others. If fans don't like it there is plenty of scope to move to the Lyndhurst.

Enforced sitting is the ultimate atmosphere killer.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":2gdptu4j said:
IJN":2gdptu4j said:
The law is the law end of however, and it's not Argyle's fault, all seaters have killed the rawness of what used to be.

It would be nice if the club turned a blind eye to the back half of the Devonport end, let those who wish to stand do so without obscuring the views of others. If fans don't like it there is plenty of scope to move to the Lyndhurst.

Enforced sitting is the ultimate atmosphere killer.

Can you really see the club turning a blind eye to half a stand of people flouting the law ? What if it was noticed by the powers that be and the club were forced to close a stand , should the fans that stand ,then be allowed to stand at the back of the Lyndhurst hoping not to be noticed ?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lol, never going to happen.

If the EFL closed a stand due to persistent standing then I think the football family would come together to protest the absurdity of it.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":1b79xxgh said:
Lol, never going to happen.

If the EFL closed a stand due to persistent standing then I think the football family would come together to protest the absurdity of it.

lol , keep doing it then , and get ready to protest if the EFL decide to make an example of a club , if it's ours , there's every likelihood you'll be protesting from outside the ground lol

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
This whole subject makes me laugh, it's surrounded in utter b.s.. I mean what's the difference ( in terms of safety) between persistent standing and standing when a goal is scored? I wouldn't mind betting that most of the injuries quoted by the OP were In the immediate aftermath of a goal being scored! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want anyone's view to be spoilt by people standing, but this issue & the issue of safety are totally separate. I may be wrong, but I know of no one that's been successfuly prosecuted for persistent standing. It's either safe to stand or not! No if buts or maybes. It can't be safe to stand temporarily if standing is un safe.
I just wish the football clubs would come together and take the football authorities on ... Overturn this ridiculous Hippocratic rule and get standing back ASAP..

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It would also beg the important question as to how the Club will pay its' players wages, when no revenue is coming through closed turnstiles? I cannot see any Gov, of any particular colour, changing legislation because a few hundred guys in Plymouth alone, prefer to watch footy from a standing position.

There is definitely a case for designated standing areas in football stadia, but this would need to be approached nationally. It would then raise the question as to how large that area should be. Would it be a fixed percentage of the maximum gate, or would it be graded depending upon the League a particular club played in. There would then be a possibility of a well supported club like Argyle being granted licensed standing for an inadequate number of spectators. The issue is a can of worms, that is for sure.

Feb 24, 2008
I hate Seats ! Get back to how it was ! Standing Terracing behind each Goal with Seats along each side ! Easy ! If you want to Sit & Clap go in the Stand and if you want to Stand & Sing go on the Terraces ! Sitting behind the Goal is Crap anyway !

I'm Old School and got so many fantastic memories of standing on the Terraces Home & Away ! Fantastic Atmosphere !

pafc cobbie08

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
You’re allowed to install railed seating. Spurs new ground has a large section, Wolves installed it this summer, Shrewsbury have also.
The new Green Guide says you can in persistent standing areas.
99% of clubs have massive sections that stand.
Many clubs have specific areas that likeminded people can generate an atmosphere, Man UTD have one, Reading have one, Cardiff have one.
Club needs to use its brain really and not pee the supporters off.
Too many moaners in our club I’m afraid.
If you want to sit, go at the front. If you want to stand, go at the back. So simple.

Mar 23, 2019
BradCobbs":30cvqhji said:
You’re allowed to install railed seating. Spurs new ground has a large section, Wolves installed it this summer, Shrewsbury have also.
The new Green Guide says you can in persistent standing areas.
99% of clubs have massive sections that stand.
Many clubs have specific areas that likeminded people can generate an atmosphere, Man UTD have one, Reading have one, Cardiff have one.
Club needs to use its brain really and not pi$$ the supporters off.
Too many moaners in our club I’m afraid.
If you want to sit, go at the front. If you want to stand, go at the back. So simple.

Spot on.

No doubt you'll get someone on hear disagreeing though - it's what they do best!

Jun 2, 2016
Not having safe standing is just madness. There is no remotely practical reason we cannot have it. Just politics putting us in this ridiculous situation.
Argyle should be pushing on every front to get that for us.

C

CiderAndPasties

Ultimately, Safe Standing really is very safe (if anything its safer than what we currently have*). Its designed so those sat down can still see over a person stood up (due to the raised height of the chairs). The government and FA need to get off their arses and legalise it for all clubs. Fans should be able to have the choice to sit or stand in my opinion.

Also, as a fan, I think its unreasonable to moan about fans currently standing in the Devonport as the DPE has a reputation for being "the green wall" and if you dont want to stand, you shouldnt be buying a ticket there when both corners and the lyndhurst are all "sitting" areas (i agree that its ok to complain about standing in the lyndhurst as standing isnt expected nor desired).

If you do moan about standing in the devonport specifically, either shut up or move somewhere else in my opinion. you get a better view and you can sit down in the Lyndhurst but why should everyone have to sit because you bought a ticket in the wrong part of the ground.

*I feel safe standing is safer than what we currently have because overcrowding cannot happen (one of the key "problems" with a terrace) as you are allocated a seat. Fans WILL stand regardless of wether it is a terrace or a seat so you might as well make it standing friendly (with a safety bar). Its frustrating that the government cannot/choose not to see this.

Tom Cobbley

Jam First
Aug 7, 2011
Oldham
Not against safe standing but the club has to able to afford to install it. Ticket costs would be the same. Clubs need to justify the cost with no increase in revenue.

Apr 29, 2016
Bedfordgreens":1z40u3f0 said:
I hate Seats ! Get back to how it was ! Standing Terracing behind each Goal with Seats along each side ! Easy ! If you want to Sit & Clap go in the Stand and if you want to Stand & Sing go on the Terraces ! Sitting behind the Goal is Crap anyway !

I'm Old School and got so many fantastic memories of standing on the Terraces Home & Away ! Fantastic Atmosphere !

I’m bu@@ered then cos I want to sit and sing!