Persistent Standing Policy | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Persistent Standing Policy

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
demportdave":1p532eyd said:
Biggs":1p532eyd said:
I would imagine any safety officer would be looking at the Lyndhurst as the most direct and only available equivalent to the Grandstand, rather than a home ‘end’ or away ‘end’.

Argyle are working so hard to get this grandstand open in time, that they really don’t want even 1% chance of unwanted delays. For anyone doubting the likelihood of safety issues delaying the opening of a new facility... Spurs had to wait months for all their certificates to be signed off (not all standing related issues, I’m aware). It doesn’t seem to be that much of a coincidence they were issuing exactly the same sort of statements that Argyle are now.
None of the Tottenham issues were standing-related, it was all to do with the electrics and being able to demonstrate that they could evacuate a large crowd in a safe and efficient way.

How could they have standing issues in a ground that had never been used.

If there is a standing issue at HP, it is with the hundreds who stand at either end, not 20 or 30 in the back of the Lyndhurst. If I was the Safety Officer I would want to know why the club are apparently content to allow wholesale standing at both ends of the ground in blatant contradiction of their own regulations. If there was a match day safety audit, Argyle would be found badly lacking; they need to get their own house in order.

Watch how long it takes to evacuate the Lyndhurst this afternoon because the fans are not politely stewarded to leave the stand at their nearest point of exit. Instead, many will wander down the full length of the stand to compound the bottle-neck at the Devonport End corner exit, with people of all ages queued back up the steps trying to get out whilst others clamber over the seats in their frustration. Meanwhile, there are a load on numpties in yellow jackets lined up down the side of the pitch ready to stop a pitch invasion that’s never going to happen. The safe and efficient evacuation of the ground does not concern them.

All very inefficient, unprofessional and so typically “non-League” by Argyle yet again. Based on their own performance, they should be concerned about getting a Safety Certificate for the Grandstand.

It doesn't feel unsafe though, just frustrating.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Would like to give my perspective on this as a season ticket holder in Block 14 that also happens to be disabled. I cannot stand, whilst I can walk with sticks, it is physically impossible for me to stand still for more than a few seconds and a struggle to get stood up in the first place. I originally had a ticket in Row A. Ideal I thought, plenty of leg room, no need to stand to let people pass, nobody standing in front of me. Unfortunately my seat was by the quaintly named 'Vomitory' aka Entrance/Exit. This means for the first five minutes of the game you see nothing towards the Dempot as the slow drinkers who cannot take their alcohol past that point stand in your way (Ignored by the stewards who seem to be on first name terms with them). Anyway, calms down then and you see some of the game. By 20 minutes our chums that have spent all lunchtime in the pub need to pee. Of they go, something happens and they stand in front of you again, 10 minutes to half time it starts again, 5 minutes after half time and for at least 10 minutes before the final whistle. What does this have to do with the standing in the stands policy? Well it is not just the two back rows is it? I moved up a few rows this year so I can see all the game. Bit awkward to get there but I manage. Unfortunately in the row in front of me now I have the Stone Island Twins. Overheard today, 'No f******s going to make me sit down innit'. And no they did not. This is not just in moments of excitement but throughout the game. Hence I have still only seen the goals we have scored at the Barn Park end this season. Ask them politely to sit and you get told to 'Go and sit with the Spackers, innit' I should say this is not young lads but men in their 40/50'.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
bigalf":2qmn9kyx said:
Would like to give my perspective on this as a season ticket holder in Block 14 that also happens to be disabled. I cannot stand, whilst I can walk with sticks, it is physically impossible for me to stand still for more than a few seconds and a struggle to get stood up in the first place. I originally had a ticket in Row A. Ideal I thought, plenty of leg room, no need to stand to let people pass, nobody standing in front of me. Unfortunately my seat was by the quaintly named 'Vomitory' aka Entrance/Exit. This means for the first five minutes of the game you see nothing towards the Dempot as the slow drinkers who cannot take their alcohol past that point stand in your way (Ignored by the stewards who seem to be on first name terms with them). Anyway, calms down then and you see some of the game. By 20 minutes our chums that have spent all lunchtime in the pub need to pee. Of they go, something happens and they stand in front of you again, 10 minutes to half time it starts again, 5 minutes after half time and for at least 10 minutes before the final whistle. What does this have to do with the standing in the stands policy? Well it is not just the two back rows is it? I moved up a few rows this year so I can see all the game. Bit awkward to get there but I manage. Unfortunately in the row in front of me now I have the Stone Island Twins. Overheard today, 'No f******s going to make me sit down innit'. And no they did not. This is not just in moments of excitement but throughout the game. Hence I have still only seen the goals we have scored at the Barn Park end this season. Ask them politely to sit and you get told to 'Go and sit with the Spackers, innit' I should say this is not young lads but men in their 40/50'.

That is pretty awful and I feel for disabled fans who have their enjoyment spoilt by others. They are getting second class treatment and that's not right.

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
Dorset Pilgrim":3awjzqx5 said:
bigalf":3awjzqx5 said:

That is pretty awful and I feel for disabled fans who have their enjoyment spoilt by others. They are getting second class treatment and that's not right.

Yes, not good, pass your match day experiences to the club, I am sure they would try to sort the issues that you refer to.

C

Cult Of Personality

bigalf":2p2ztw92 said:

Can I ask you what Row you sit. Because as a fellow Block 14 person. I did not see anyone standing up for prolonged time.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Just as a related observation, I watched Jeff and co on SSN yesterday afternoon and couldn't fail to notice that, when Merson was commenting on the Brighton vs Saints game at the Amex, the projection of the crowd behind him showed the vast majority standing up watching the action. Are the FA/Prem etc going to address that too? Don't hold your breath - I suspect it's much easier to pick on the little guys rather than big ones. :think:

Mar 23, 2019
PMPilgrim":hyd2u01r said:
Ok.

One last time.

THEY AREN’T TRYING TO OPEN A NEW STAND WHICH REQUIRES A SAFETY CERTIFICATE.

Both Fulham and Forest fans were standing yesterday and they're having a new stand built needing a safety certificate....?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":2rkpt5zm said:
PMPilgrim":2rkpt5zm said:
Not next month they’re not.

... and they won’t be applying for that safety certificate from Plymouth City Council.

Also, if they get refused the certificate because of persistent standing, that’s not our problem. If PAFC get refused certificate, that IS our problem.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
bigalf":2sof8j2q said:
You may want to remind the club of its Values and Visions statement.

Aug 5, 2005
Emeraldinho":29alz4u5 said:
Just as a related observation, I watched Jeff and co on SSN yesterday afternoon and couldn't fail to notice that, when Merson was commenting on the Brighton vs Saints game at the Amex, the projection of the crowd behind him showed the vast majority standing up watching the action. Are the FA/Prem etc going to address that too? Don't hold your breath - I suspect it's much easier to pick on the little guys rather than big ones. :think:

See my post on the previous page about Man Utd having to warn Liverpool fans not to stand at the end of last season.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
PMPilgrim":2qyb3a6f said:
L G":2qyb3a6f said:
bigalf":2qyb3a6f said:

I’m so ashamed of my club sometimes.

Me too - well, ashamed of a small proportion of our fans at least. Honestly, you wouldn’t believe it in this day and age. For some people the school playground just doesn’t stop being their preferred space even in their 40s and 50s. Pathetic and crass. It gets in the way of a proper (grown up) debate about the issue because of the kind of bile that comes out of these people’s mouths. Sadly some people just want to stand regardless of others because they are utterly selfish and couldn’t give a toss.

Jun 2, 2016
Forest of Dean Green":1pq0ibaz said:
PMPilgrim":1pq0ibaz said:
L G":1pq0ibaz said:
bigalf":1pq0ibaz said:

Me too - well, ashamed of a small proportion of our fans at least. Honestly, you wouldn’t believe it in this day and age. For some people the school playground just doesn’t stop being their preferred space even in their 40s and 50s. Pathetic and crass. It gets in the way of a proper (grown up) debate about the issue because of the kind of bile that comes out of these people’s mouths. Sadly some people just want to stand regardless of others because they are utterly selfish and couldn’t give a toss.
When everyone in the back row wants to stand, how does that affect anyone else. I'll wait for your genius reply.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
the_corkscrew":38y2ietd said:
Forest of Dean Green":38y2ietd said:
PMPilgrim":38y2ietd said:
L G":38y2ietd said:
bigalf":38y2ietd said:

When everyone in the back row wants to stand, how does that affect anyone else. I'll wait for your genius reply.

Where is standing in the back row mentioned in the posts that you have commented on? :think: