Persistent Standing Policy | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Persistent Standing Policy

Heathrow Green

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 12, 2011
An airport just outside London
PlymouthCasual":3txucd6l said:
Heathrow Green":3txucd6l said:
PlymouthCasual":3txucd6l said:
Talk about project fear! Cant beleive that somebody has stated that the EFL will force us to close a block or even a full stand if people continue to stand :funny: :funny: This site is comedy gold at times I must say.

The thing is thought it's not the EFL. As has been stated quite a few times it is the law that requires supporters to be seated.

The authority that can revoke our safety certificate, thereby closing a stand or the ground, is the Sports Ground Safety Authority. These are the people the issue the "Green Guide" that clubs need to abide by. You will have seen JonB mention this guide several times when talking about grandstand re-development.

Green Guide
Statement on Standing in Seated Areas

And while SH has gone out of his way to make the point about this, you can be sure that the same message was received by every PL and EFL club and that each will, in there own way, have put out the message out there, no persistent standing in seated areas.

Ok so its not the EFL who are driving this, who is then? Which governing body are trying to uphold the LAW and keep supporters seated as much as possible? Surely its not the Police?

Nope not the police. It’s the SGSA. They have the power to tell the local authorities (PCC) to revoke part or all of our safety certification and the local authorities are bound by law to implement those requirements. At which point Argyle are playing in an empty stadium.

I support the safe standing initiative, but at this point, as the doc pointed out above, if you’re standing you could seriously affect the chances of the updated grandstand getting the required safety certification. If that happens then you put a millstone around Argyles neck.

Ask yourself. Do you want to do that or not. Then decide whether to stand or not.

Heathrow Green

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 12, 2011
An airport just outside London
I’ll add one extra point. It’s quite possible that because Argyle have a new/updated stand, waiting for certification than the SGSA are leaning heavily to make sure the point is made.

Edit: Just seen PMPilgrim's post below. This does indeed look to be a case of "Hard Ball"

Jul 3, 2013
Having just spoke to 2 stewards from the Colchester game it appears nobody will be thrown out for just standing up, in fact, all ejections are recorded and the less the better. Nothing more than a tick box exersize on the clubs behalf.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PlymouthCasual":1abgkcds said:
Heathrow Green":1abgkcds said:
PlymouthCasual":1abgkcds said:
Talk about project fear! Cant beleive that somebody has stated that the EFL will force us to close a block or even a full stand if people continue to stand :funny: :funny: This site is comedy gold at times I must say.

The thing is thought it's not the EFL. As has been stated quite a few times it is the law that requires supporters to be seated.

The authority that can revoke our safety certificate, thereby closing a stand or the ground, is the Sports Ground Safety Authority. These are the people the issue the "Green Guide" that clubs need to abide by. You will have seen JonB mention this guide several times when talking about grandstand re-development.

Green Guide
Statement on Standing in Seated Areas

And while SH has gone out of his way to make the point about this, you can be sure that the same message was received by every PL and EFL club and that each will, in there own way, have put out the message out there, no persistent standing in seated areas.

Ok so its not the EFL who are driving this, who is then? Which governing body are trying to uphold the LAW and keep supporters seated as much as possible? Surely its not the Police?

It is a club's Local Authority that issues safety certificates and even though they all follow the same legislation, they don't all interpret and apply it in the same way. Plymouth City Council could be putting pressure on Argyle to reduce the amount of persistent standing at Home Park whereas elsewhere the problem could in fact be a lot worse than at HP but the Local Authority there could be sympathetic to how hard it is to implement and are therefore prepared to go with the flow. It all comes down to the local council's policy.

May 1, 2011
PMPilgrim":1oijcv7l said:
I'm simply relaying what the club has been told.

Just like I did when I was the first to say Adams was being sacked....and that Lowe was being appointed.

The club believe that a block (or two) could be shut in the Devonport end if standing persists. This is linked to the safety certificate needed for the new Grandstand.

(Safety executive: Will the new grandstand meet all the current health and safety regulations?

Argyle: Yes

Safety excecutive: Including the rules on standing?

Argyle: Yes

Safety executive: The evidence suggests otherwise. If we can't believe you on this then what else are you hiding?

Why do you think Spurs took an age to move in to their new stadium?

FFS. Just sit down.

Because their ground wasn't completed. This argument is so boring and pedantic.
Ever since all seater stadiums were introduced certain sections of supporters of all clubs have stood up. You mention Spurs, watch them at Man Utd away and they will stand for 90 minutes.
Certain Argyle fans will stand up home and away, nothing you or anyone can say will stop it.
It's like moaning about people doing more than 70 MPH on the motorway. Be realistic.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
It's only the upper sections of block 3,4 and 15 that stand. If people want to sit then just don't buy a ticket in that area. These people are therefore, not blocking anyone's view. They are the only areas that add a bit of atmosphere.

The closing of zoo corner and now these threatening statements to try ensure people who stand (not necessarily blocking anyone's view) just makes me feel incredibly disconnected with the club.

As if people are supporting this all seating policy is laughable. As I have stated their are way to accommodate those who want to stand and those who want to sit. Heaven forbid some of these pro seating enthusiasts had to endure 90minutes in a Leeds away end etc. :facepalm:

Zoo

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I've been following this thread for a while so thought I'd pop my thoughts in.

It's very clear that the club are having their arm twisted on this, it doesn't seem to me to be an attack on individuals and an attempt to make them feel disconnected. I appreciate this is an emotive issue for some people, however it isn't the end of the world if there's a temporary sacrifice to be made for the greater good.

I agree there should be some provision of safe standing, I do however note that the law is dictating this, and just like the jobs worths that introduced the law (rightly or wrongly at the time) there are plenty more who are willing to enforce it without any applying any common sense or experience of football.

There is no outcome from this that'll help anyone, I just hope that the club, SGSA and PCC use some discretion in anyway they might have to go forward.

I dont think anyone's complaining about their view being restricted by those standing any more, anyone in that position would have moved their seat over the break, what's left is the authorities pressing down on the club.

Fingers crossed this dies a death soon with no repercussions on club or supporters.

Mar 23, 2019
HC Green":1phezoxx said:
Celtic closed a section of their ground due to persistent standing.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23580358

Celtic also have Safe Standing section. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43589867) Also, for the Old Firm games, every person in the whole stadium stands, thats 60,000 people.

This thread is so tiresome. I wish our fans had some balls like Germans/Italians and boycotted because of this. Just for a game or two to show people on this thread and the people higher up that Home Park would be an absolute morgue and would have all the atmosphere of a DJM game without these 'disgraceful standers'.

Football without fans is nothing. Stop treating the most loyal that were there in 2011 during the darkest days (Still standing) with such contempt.

May 16, 2016
Action Jackson":797x8rvk said:
HC Green":797x8rvk said:
Celtic closed a section of their ground due to persistent standing.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23580358

Celtic also have Safe Standing section. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43589867) Also, for the Old Firm games, every person in the whole stadium stands, thats 60,000 people.

This thread is so tiresome. I wish our fans had some balls like Germans/Italians and boycotted because of this. Just for a game or two to show people on this thread and the people higher up that Home Park would be an absolute morgue and would have all the atmosphere of a DJM game without these 'disgraceful standers'.

Football without fans is nothing. Stop treating the most loyal that were there in 2011 during the darkest days (Still standing) with such contempt.

HP is like a Morgue at times despite the Standers. If the Grandstand licence is delayed or, Sections of the Ground closed due to Standing - which someone else will get blamed for that ?

Its obvious that there's an outside influence into the Club making a minor issue of standing at the moment. Just do your bit (like apparently, only the Standers did in 2011) for the Club and obey the Rules for a while. Let it blow over and then get back to singing one of the 3 Songs they never get all the way through.

Mar 18, 2014
Bristol Rich.................good analogy about the motorway.

1. It is my choice whether to speed on the motorway, same as whether to stand
2. when I drive more than 70 I am being reckless, and don't care about other road users...................
3. I am breaking the law, and if caught face prosecution, a fine and points on licence, and eventually banned from driving..............this could be a good policy reference standing
4. when I do speed it is normally due to a bunch of ignorant Removed by Site Admin hogging the middle lane for no reason, sort of same reason I sometimes stand at the football
5. I don't speed all the time, only occasionally

I think you should contact the club and put forward a plan of fines/ points/ bans to control standing :thumbup: same as driving on motorways then

From a personal standpoint, and I doubt I'm the only one of a certain vintage, but when I sit down for too long, sometimes as little as a couple of minutes, then I can barely stand up again as my back hurts so much. For me, it's for medical reasons that I find it hard to sit for too long.

To follow the latest directive therefore, I have three options:

1. Watch a game in agony.
2. Stand and run the risk of being ejected
3. Don't go

Mar 23, 2019
Bermudian Green":22mqam88 said:
From a personal standpoint, and I doubt I'm the only one of a certain vintage, but when I sit down for too long, sometimes as little as a couple of minutes, then I can barely stand up again as my back hurts so much. For me, it's for medical reasons that I find it hard to sit for too long.

To follow the latest directive therefore, I have three options:

1. Watch a game in agony.
2. Stand and run the risk of being ejected
3. Don't go

At some grounds, some of us can't even sit if we wanted too! Lots of seats aren't made for the larger gent :lol:

Apr 5, 2008
Every club has to do the same thing then.You can’t release a statement like that and then expect supporters to sit down the whole match unless a goal is scored then meanwhile at leeds or liverpool, the majority of the crowd is standing the whole match,but that’s ok because it’s not Argyle!

Every single club has to follow the same rules then,or your just picking on your own fans!

This club is an utter joke sometimes! :facepalm: