Plymouth Argyle's new manager? | Page 96 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle's new manager?

Who do you want? New poll 25 May

• Ian Holloway

Votes: 114 50.0%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Michael Flynn

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Sol Campbell

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Jocelyn Gourvennec

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Keith Hill

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Adam Sadler

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Warren Joyce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Ryan Lowe

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
May 16, 2016
Knibbsworth":2wy7872j said:
All a load of nonsense. One of the criticisms of Mike Flynn is that all he does is play it long to a big man up front. So you can get to playoff finals launching it with no finesse apparently, at the same time as making the point that the game is far too advanced and nuanced for Ian Holloway to understand any more. Which overly simplistic point are you pushing this time?

As for Holloway's last three jobs being failures (getting Crystal Palace to the Prem?), can you talk me through that. Millwall and QPR have hardly kicked on significantly since he left (Millwall only just about stayed up again this season), which suggests he wasn't the problem holding those clubs back. Millwall aren't particularly a force in the second tier and QPR have issues of their own - Holloway was sacked in 16th position 12 months ago and they finished 19th this season under Steve McClaren.

He brought through some promising young lads at those clubs, Smyth, Manning, Osayi Samuel and particularly Eze at QPR, a very promising young player who is getting better and better. He was 18 when Holloway gave him a run of starts, and he made 42 appearances in the Championship last season aged 20 which suggests subsequent coaches agree he's good enough for them too. The other youngsters got loaned out and replaced and then McClaren finished 3 positions lower! Holloway did it with Gosling before with us. He knows how to pick a young player out and make a first teamer out of them, exactly what we could do with more of next season at Home Park.

I'd love to see Ollie come in and make Cooper his number 1, build the lad up and make him feel like a world beater. Do Ryan Lowe and Mike Flynn have previous for doing this the way dinosaur Holloway has?

You consider Holloway a failure at QPR and yet whilst giving youth a chance he was only marginally behind Harry Redknapp as having the best win percentage of the Tony Fernandes era - better than McClaren, Hasselbaink, Mark Hughes and Chris Ramsey. And he did better using a lot of youngsters. So how does that constitute failure exactly? Spending nothing, giving academy lads a chance and doing better than your predecessors as well as ahead of 8 other clubs at his time of sacking is hardly failing in my book.

Makes you wonder why he's still out of Managerial work or ever had to leave or been sacked really. At least he's consistent in that theres always 'something' with him.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":2tlxscog said:
All a load of nonsense. One of the criticisms of Mike Flynn is that all he does is play it long to a big man up front. So you can get to playoff finals launching it with no finesse apparently, at the same time as making the point that the game is far too advanced and nuanced for Ian Holloway to understand any more. Which overly simplistic point are you pushing this time?

As for Holloway's last three jobs being failures (getting Crystal Palace to the Prem?), can you talk me through that. Millwall and QPR have hardly kicked on significantly since he left, which suggests he wasn't the problem holding those clubs back. Millwall aren't particularly a force in the second tier and QPR have issues of their own. He brought through some promising young lads at those clubs, particularly Eze at QPR, a very promising young player who is getting better and better. He was 18 when Holloway gave him a run of starts in the Championship, and he made 42 appearances in the Championship last season aged 20 which suggests subsequent coaches agree he's good enough to start for them. Holloway did it with Gosling before with us. He knows how to pick a young player out and make a first teamer out of them, exactly what we could do with more of.

I'd love to see Ollie come in and make Cooper his number 1, build the lad up and make him feel like a world beater. Do Ryan Lowe and Mike Flynn have previous for doing this the way dinosaur Holloway has?

At Palace he lost the dressing room inside a year by his own admission.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/23/ian-holloway-leaves-crystal-palace-mutual-consent

At Millwall his win ratio was 22.6% over 62 games.

And at QPR they were looking to reduce the wage bill and bring youth through. Yet he only won 26 of his 80 games and lost 40 games (50%) of them. He was doing an OK job but l hardly call it successful because he blooded a few youngsters. They still had some decent players with experience in that team.

Have a look at what Holloway does. He goes into a club. Brings his positive vibe. Yet will it last? Or is he just a passionate footballing wordsmith of a man who sounds great but his actions have proved they are just sound bites. We need someone long term, not a short fix solution just because we are in league two.

My point remains the same. At Palace he gained promotion but it quickly evaporated in front of him in months and so who was the last club he had sustained (and this is the vital word) at. I would say Blackpool but even if we take Palace’s promotion into account that still means it is still 5 or 6 years ago.

I never called him a dinosaur. I think he talks a lot of sense. The problem is that Holloway represent successful years from Argyles past and this romantic notion we have of him (like we do we ex players eg (Lavery)) is all built on the past.

We should be looking forward. Not back.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ugivczt said:
Knibbsworth":2ugivczt said:
As for Holloway's last three jobs being failures (getting Crystal Palace to the Prem?), can you talk me through that. Millwall and QPR have hardly kicked on significantly since he left, which suggests he wasn't the problem holding those clubs back. Millwall aren't particularly a force in the second tier and QPR have issues of their own. He brought through some promising young lads at those clubs, particularly Eze at QPR, a very promising young player who is getting better and better. He was 18 when Holloway gave him a run of starts in the Championship, and he made 42 appearances in the Championship last season aged 20 which suggests subsequent coaches agree he's good enough to start for them. Holloway did it with Gosling before with us. He knows how to pick a young player out and make a first teamer out of them, exactly what we could do with more of.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/23/ian-holloway-leaves-crystal-palace-mutual-consent

And at QPR they were looking to reduce the wage bill and bring youth through. Yet he only won 26 of his 80 games and lost 40 games (50%) of them. He was doing an OK job but l hardly call it successful because he blooded a few youngsters. They still had some decent players with experience in that team.

Have a look at what Holloway does. He goes into a club. Brings his positive vibe. Yet will it last? Or is he just a passionate footballing wordsmith of a man who sounds great but his actions have proved they are just sound bites. We need someone long term, not a short fix solution just because we are in league two.

My point remains the same. At Palace he gained promotion but it quickly evaporated in front of him in months and so who was the last club he had sustained (and this is the vital word) at. I would say Blackpool but even if we take Palace’s promotion into account that still means it is still 5 or 6 years ago.

I never called him a dinosaur. I think he talks a lot of sense. The problem is that Holloway represent successful years from Argyles past and this romantic notion we have of him (like we do we ex players eg (Lavery)) is all built on the past.

totally agree here about holloway.he will give our young players a chance.

Mar 23, 2008
Knibbsworth":td54qup3 said:

As for Holloway's last three jobs being failures (getting Crystal Palace to the Prem?), can you talk me through that. Millwall and QPR have hardly kicked on significantly since he left (Millwall only just about stayed up again this season), which suggests he wasn't the problem holding those clubs back. Millwall aren't particularly a force in the second tier and QPR have issues of their own - Holloway was sacked in 16th position 12 months ago and they finished 19th this season under Steve McClaren.

He brought through some promising young lads at those clubs, Smyth, Manning, Osayi Samuel and particularly Eze at QPR, a very promising young player who is getting better and better. He was 18 when Holloway gave him a run of starts, and he made 42 appearances in the Championship last season aged 20 which suggests subsequent coaches agree he's good enough for them too. The other youngsters got loaned out and replaced and then McClaren finished 3 positions lower! Holloway did it with Gosling before with us. He knows how to pick a young player out and make a first teamer out of them, exactly what we could do with more of next season at Home Park.

You consider Holloway a failure at QPR and yet whilst giving youth a chance he was only marginally behind Harry Redknapp as having the best win percentage of the Tony Fernandes era - better than McClaren, Hasselbaink, Mark Hughes and Chris Ramsey. And he did better using a lot of youngsters. So how does that constitute failure exactly? Spending nothing, giving academy lads a chance and doing better than your predecessors as well as ahead of 8 other clubs at his time of sacking is hardly failing in my book.
Please stop talking reasonably, you have to be respectful of those still living in 2007 and are still angry. You'll wake them up with a jolt if they realise time has marched on :funny:

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":1pia03li said:

Davie Nine and I have started to agree since DA left and now I find myself listening to Knibbs arguments and nodding my head in agreement :shock:

I was very angry when Olly did the dirty on us in 2007 but time is healer.

The above is a sound argument for Olly against others.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The pro Holloway arguments seem worth considering but my 2 main concerns are :-

a. I believe he is past his sell by date and does not have the same motivation, enthusiasm and charisma that he had last time.
b. Holloway mk2 = Sturrock mk2.

However, if the Board appointed him it would be an interesting ride and there are no others on the list that enthuse me now that I have written off the Lowe option.

Mar 8, 2016
So it’s not looking like it will be Ryan Lowe anymore. Flynn seems to be 2nd favourite but I’d be surprised if he’s even been interviewed with everything he’s had on with Newport over the past few weeks, so unlikely to be him. I have a feeling it will be someone way done the betting list. What about Sol Campbell? I really can’t see it being Holloway, surely this week is the week to find out?

Apr 5, 2008
Sol Campbell would be a good fit.What we need is someone who can teach this lot how to defend.To concede 80 goals last season is totally unacceptable.

Big price still so worth a punt.

Oct 20, 2015
Derriford
No. I believe the intention was always to announce sometime later this week. Lowe is the only name in the public arena but others were interviewed we know nothing about. Just wait and see.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The Lyndhurst Sage":1bwjfrv9 said:
No. I believe the intention was always to announce sometime later this week. Lowe is the only name in the public arena but others were interviewed we know nothing about. Just wait and see.

Apparently not according to some reports

Dec 22, 2015
68 days until the start if the season and we look no closer to finding a new manager than what we did the after we sacked Adams and to be honest I'm not shocked. We are not exactly a desirable club to manage. The rebuild is huge. Several players will leave with out best ones 90% guaranteed to leave us. We have no money to reinvest and are pinning all of our hopes on a stadium to generate cash to make us competitive. Our board wants a manager that will wear many hats and not just one, but will be paid peanuts for it. We are a mess! The one person who seems to want the job (Holloway) I doubt has even been interviewed and if he has then scared off by the huge lack of investment. There isn't anyone that that list apart from Holloway I want to manage us. My options would be Michael Appleton or Chris Powell.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Ian Holloway is on talkSPORT at the moment at Wembley covering the championship play offs... anyone know if his next job has been mentioned??

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":3u0oobnt said:
Knibbsworth":3u0oobnt said:

So you appreciate Holloway had a mission to reduce the wage bill at QPR, had no money and went for a policy of developing youth, but yet justify his sacking and believe it proves he hasn't got what it takes any more? When they were 16th? Even though a former England manager actually did worse without committing to develop the futures of 4-5 teenagers?

Holloway's job went sour after winning promotion to the Premier League at Palace, his signings were bad value and his judgement was poor. But if he had done well he wouldn't even be an option on the fourth tier. Trying to over analyse a season in the Premier League several years ago four divisions above where we find ourselves is just about as lacking in relevance as it gets.

It would be like suggesting Derek Adams is past it if the Plymouth Parkway job came up, because he lost the Argyle dressing room, and instead supporting a bloke called Mitch Matthews who did well at Callington and has done the FA's latest courses. That is pretty much how I equate your efforts to throw mud at Holloway when he is in a field of candidates who have never managed a (small) club in the Premier League, have no experience of those unique pressures and probably never will.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Knibbsworth":1vucpsad said:

Totally agree with Knibbsworth. To me Holloway has not been unsuccessful in his last 5-6 years, it’s all relative .. you should only be compared to your resources, and in the last 5-6 years at Millwall and QPR Holloway has very little in the way of comparable resources.. so to me keeping both teams in the championship was decent if you ask me.

What I like about Holloway is that he plays good attacking football on the ground and he’s not afraid to blood youngsters if he needs to - our academy is improving and we’re starting to see the benefits I think, but we need a manager to play them.