Rate the Ref v Wigan - Gavin Ward | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref v Wigan - Gavin Ward

Rate the Ref v Wigan

Votes: 32 24.6%

Votes: 24 18.5%

Votes: 31 23.8%

Votes: 24 18.5%

Votes: 6 4.6%

Votes: 5 3.8%

Votes: 5 3.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Wigan should have had 2 red cards, that shouldn't really even be up for discussion, Carey had a goal scoring opportunity and Powell swung out at Carey off the ball, weak refereeing but the other officials should take their share of the blame as well.

Extremely frustrating because unfortunately we as fans can't do anything, we just have to watch as the standard of officials in the lower leagues deteriorates and the more fans/managers whinge about the ref's, the more the FA will bury their heads in the sand and defend their officials.

Sep 25, 2010
Cobi Budge":3t749qjb said:
Wigan should have had 2 red cards, that shouldn't really even be up for discussion, Carey had a goal scoring opportunity and Powell swung out at Carey off the ball, weak refereeing but the other officials should take their share of the blame as well.

Extremely frustrating because unfortunately we as fans can't do anything, we just have to watch as the standard of officials in the lower leagues deteriorates and the more fans/managers whinge about the ref's, the more the FA will bury their heads in the sand and defend their officials.

Blimey, I think you are completely wrong, on every point you make here

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Cobi Budge":d76zstoc said:

:iagree:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":jryutdfo said:

There is everything you can do about it. You are young enough to get out there with a whistle and raise the standards of young referees coming through. The pool of youngsters taking this route is so small that it is inevitable that the quality is going to be lower than it could be.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Do you really expect the referee or assistant referee to see every off the ball incident?

I was in a good position in the Grandstand to have seen what happened but, probably, like the referee and his assistant, I was following the ball and the first I knew was when Carey was on the ground holding his face. Clearly, there was contact but I don’t think any supporters near me saw what happened. He can’t give what he or his assistant didn’t see.

He didn’t have the best of games and there were several incidents that he could have dealt with more severely.

However, I can’t help going back to his performance in the Rochdale game when he was given 9/10 by many of us. Perhaps he just had an off day.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Penlee":3e3s9etv said:
There was a drop bar in the first half for a 'head' injury to their cb when we were attacking - 35 yards out. Sarc and I think Carey were clearly saying to the ref that can we play it a a drop ball (ie one from each side contest it) but he insisted Wigan kick it back to Remi Matthews.

What's that all about? How can the ref dictate how a drop ball is played?

New rule or another example of his ineptitude (other than the above he was incredibly weak and had no idea on the basic premise of the advantage rule)

I've answered my own question (FA rules - rule 8 restarting play)

Q3: Why are referees not allowed to ‘manufacture’ a dropped ball?

The wording makes it clear that the referee has no authority to decide who can challenge for a dropped ball and/or where the dropped ball is to be kicked.

If, for ‘fair play’ reasons, the players agree who will kick the ball and where they will kick it, the referee can agree but it must come from the players – it can not be an instruction from the referee as the referee has no authority to do so as a dropped ball is a ‘neutral’ restart which is supposed to be ‘fair’ for both teams.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penlee":1vz7cy6l said:
Penlee":1vz7cy6l said:
There was a drop bar in the first half for a 'head' injury to their cb when we were attacking - 35 yards out. Sarc and I think Carey were clearly saying to the ref that can we play it a a drop ball (ie one from each side contest it) but he insisted Wigan kick it back to Remi Matthews.

What's that all about? How can the ref dictate how a drop ball is played?

New rule or another example of his ineptitude (other than the above he was incredibly weak and had no idea on the basic premise of the advantage rule)

I've answered my own question (FA rules - rule 8 restarting play)

Q3: Why are referees not allowed to ‘manufacture’ a dropped ball?

The wording makes it clear that the referee has no authority to decide who can challenge for a dropped ball and/or where the dropped ball is to be kicked.

If, for ‘fair play’ reasons, the players agree who will kick the ball and where they will kick it, the referee can agree but it must come from the players – it can not be an instruction from the referee as the referee has no authority to do so as a dropped ball is a ‘neutral’ restart which is supposed to be ‘fair’ for both teams.

The laws do not say that a drop ball restart should be contested. If a referee believes that a team should be given back possession he is entitled to suggest such to the players. If a player doesn't adhere to such a suggestion then he would be guilty of unsporting behaviour which is a bookable offence. So in answer to your question, yes a refereee can manufacture a drop ball.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penlee":12fmqf1n said:
That's not what it says in the laws Cabbie

The law says that the referee cannot decide who contests the ball. He cannot stop any player contesting a dropped ball. What I said though was that the referee can suggest the spirit of fairness he expects when the ball returns to play. That's not the same thing. Common sense being more important depending on what the situation was when play was stopped.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":eqkvmm00 said:
Penlee":eqkvmm00 said:

The law says that the referee cannot decide who contests the ball. He cannot stop any player contesting a dropped ball. What I said though was that the referee can suggest the spirit of fairness he expects when the ball returns to play. That's not the same thing. Common sense being more important depending on what the situation was when play was stopped.

Can't agree with you sorry, that is about as unequivocal as you can get. Anyway, he displayed no such 'common sense' at the time as we were attacking and he stopped play for a 'head injury' so we would have gained no advantage by contesting a 50/50 drop ball with a meathead from Wigan

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
As someone else has probably already said, that's why he referees league one/two I spose

Sep 25, 2010
Penlee":4t7u5r3u said:
Lundan Cabbie":4t7u5r3u said:
Penlee":4t7u5r3u said:

Can't agree with you sorry, that is about as unequivocal as you can get. Anyway, he displayed no such 'common sense' at the time as we were attacking and he stopped play for a 'head injury' so we would have gained no advantage by contesting a 50/50 drop ball with a meathead from Wigan

Why are you comparing, him stopping play for a head injury, which he has too, and restarting play, with a suggested drop ball (as LC ) has explained, two different matters

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Because we had possession and wanted to contest the drop ball. He should have let us.

Why would you back him?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penlee":3e4piw2u said:
Because we had possession and wanted to contest the drop ball. He should have let us.

Why would you back him?

I would say that the ref thought it would be fairer for Argyle to be given back possession of the ball. I do find it frustrating though when this happens and my team ends up with the ball in a much less favourable area of the pitch than what they had, but they do have the ball back.

In my refereeing days I would just drop the ball close to a player of the team who had the ball and shout "play!" The laws do not say that there needs to be a player from each team to contest the drop, in fact there can be two against one, three against one or even two against two if the players so wish.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
As I say Sarcevic was clearly saying he wanted a contested drop ball. The ref (illegally) overruled his request.

It was frustrating at the time