Retained list | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Argy1e":3nq7klhu said:
pafcprogs":3nq7klhu said:
the most likely departure is sadly Oscar, mobile, more experienced than when he joined and very committed ...and now free..think he might be off.
Not quite free. Oscar is under 24 so we'd be entitled to some compensation should he reject us and move elsewhere

That's a Brucey bonus...I had forgotten about that...

The uncertainty might also mean suitors will be thinner on the ground

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
monkeywrench":8qzfrm7w said:
I'm one of the few that didn't really rate ATS. I think we can do a lot better. We need a pacy athletic left back who can get up and down, especially with playing 3 up front. I would also expect Sawyer to be severely pushed.

Exciting summer ahead, let's hope that DA gets in some of his first choices.
Agreed. There were so many times when there was bags of space out wide but Sawyer/ ATS reluctant to push into it for fear of struggling to get back. ‘Steady Eddies’ have a time & place but if we want to improve we need to reduce dependence on them & I expect DA has a target or two up his sleeve who can offer more …….. maybe the plan is that Sawyer will be the experienced back-up to the new-comer. Good luck to ATS though – a thoroughly decent L1/ L2 pro.

Jul 2, 2014
The Doctor":2fy6vzo9 said:
PL2 3DQ":2fy6vzo9 said:
The Doctor":2fy6vzo9 said:
Bradley for captain (if he stays) is an interesting one. It makes sense, but then I find myself wondering why Bradley didn't become captain when Sawyer took over the on-pitch duties when McCormick got injured (as SB injured or suspended at the time maybe).

That's exactly what happened. Bradley got sent off in McCormick's last game (Doncaster) before injury so missed the next three games. With McCormick and Bradley missing the captains armband went to Sawyer who kept it when Bradley returned.

It's funny. I have literally just been checking GoS and came back onto this thread to post a response to my own question! I guess that once Sawyer had possession of the armband there was no good reason to take it off him again.

One issue that hasn't been raised about the on-field captain's role is interacting with the referee when things get testy on the field.

This, in my view, rules out Carey because he is constantly (and I mean constantly) having a go at the officials when he doesn't get a call. I have no objection to that (up to a point) because he is targeted for a lot of fouls, but it does make it difficult for him to have a calm conversation with the ref when they are in the midst of a on-field uproar, or if there is a possibility of a card for one of our players and we need a calming voice to get the ref to give someone like Ness or Sarcevic (or Carey himself) another chance before the card is issued.

I think that we need a multitude of players on the field who gee-up other players but one who knows that he needs to remain calm, level-headed and on good terms with the ref to deal with the ref at critical times.

While McCormick had the right attributes, I think that a keeper is usually a poor choice because most times you need the calm, reasoning presence in front of the ref, the keeper is usually miles away from the situation.

Bradley would make a decent captain and will probably get the role as soon as Sawyer misses a game. That said, I thought Foxey and Oscar (although still young) both had pretty good captain attributes too. (Note the players who received red cards because they had a rush of blood to the head)

Mar 14, 2009
One of them had to go, from Sawyer or ATS. Both are too slow lm afraid.

Sawyer advantage is that he can read the game well and can play emergency right back or Centre half (as we saw this season) because of this.

I’m probably one of the few who think Threlkeld is an average RB. Charlton exposed him and so did Rotherham. When he comes up against someone who attacks him his positional play I feel let’s him down. Eg when should he attack / defend. If we get money for him then it a Bonus.

Full backs we were very weak at times. So for me, it’s positive now we have cleared out theses areas.

The only player now I want to resign is Bradley. However, when him and Edwards played together the partnership was too slow. Even if we do resign him, a CB with pace is a must.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Ave_IT":ek9v4svn said:
monkeywrench":ek9v4svn said:
I'm one of the few that didn't really rate ATS. I think we can do a lot better. We need a pacy athletic left back who can get up and down, especially with playing 3 up front. I would also expect Sawyer to be severely pushed.

Exciting summer ahead, let's hope that DA gets in some of his first choices.
Agreed. There were so many times when there was bags of space out wide but Sawyer/ ATS reluctant to push into it for fear of struggling to get back. ‘Steady Eddies’ have a time & place but if we want to improve we need to reduce dependence on them & I expect DA has a target or two up his sleeve who can offer more …….. maybe the plan is that Sawyer will be the experienced back-up to the new-comer. Good luck to ATS though – a thoroughly decent L1/ L2 pro.

Personally, I think Sawyer pushes forward well!

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
We do need better defenders to be first choices.....we came 7th and still had a minus one goal difference..... :doh:

Aug 17, 2005
Adam_R":vnmocgqx said:
signalspast":vnmocgqx said:
Surprised by ATS as I thought DA was converting him to a left sided centre back where his lack of pace wouldn't be so exposed.
Would be even more exposed next to Sawyer!

My thoughts are based on Adams playing him in that position with Law at left back in the last few reserve matches. Not expecting Sawyer to be first choice left back next season either as releasing him shows intent on strengthening that position.

Oct 31, 2015
Well ATS is a surprise I thought he was ok.

I dont think Fox (location), Bradley (Money) or Threkheld (money) will sign new contracts.

Our fullbacks have not been the best so lets see what DA had in mind.

Shame if Fox and Bradley move on though

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
MGM I take your point regarding full backs, but a full back who is quick, energetic, good going forward and good defensively will be in the Premier League and not playing for Plymouth Argyle. Everyone still has their flaws at this level.

We've seen in the recent past that full backs we can sign who are quick and good going forward can't defend for toffee (Mellor, Kellett etc). I'd rather have a solid all-rounder like Sawyer than someone who might get up and down the line better but will cost us goals.

If Sawyer becomes so slow that he starts to resemble Robbie Williams or Anthony Charles, then I agree it will be a problem. But he's still got enough about him physically to be useful at this level.

I'd imagine that with the release of ATS we'll be looking at bringing a left back in, probably as a starter. But I'd be more than happy to keep Sawyer as a backup / rotation option.

Nov 4, 2012
Adam_R":ydc91wwm said:
ATS would be the most interesting one there. Rest all looks pretty much as expected.

Hopefully Miller will do a "Mellor" and go and excel at another club. The amount of abuse he took from some of our supporters was unreal.

:funny:

Miller will not do a Mellor. As poor as Mellor was defensively he always impressed in an attacking sense. Miller on the other hand offers nothing. He is an utterly useless waste of space and I'm glad I will never have to suffer watching that clown cost us a goal ever again :party:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
PAFC94":gwkti50u said:
Adam_R":gwkti50u said:
ATS would be the most interesting one there. Rest all looks pretty much as expected.

Hopefully Miller will do a "Mellor" and go and excel at another club. The amount of abuse he took from some of our supporters was unreal.

Miller will not do a Mellor. As poor as Mellor was defensively he always impressed in an attacking sense. Miller on the other hand offers nothing. He is an utterly useless waste of space and I'm glad I will never have to suffer watching that clown cost us a goal ever again :party:

You really are a prick.

Oct 16, 2016
Good solid foundation of players there. Still, obviously, think Carey will leave this summer ala Bradley. Songo’o devides opinions too but I can see the thought process regarding keeping him for the squad depth only.

BIG closed season window now, huge in fact

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
PAFC94":3iumlx27 said:
Adam_R":3iumlx27 said:

You'll find a new scapegoat I'm sure.