Rick Cowdery | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rick Cowdery

Dec 8, 2019
flowchart":donrw1pv said:
The player cheated....
....what's wrong with pointing out the obvious.

And no argyle player has ever stayed down after a challenge, dived or time wasted?

Part of the game now unfortunately. When teams are better at it than us, for example Wycombe, we can't handle it

Jul 29, 2010
flowchart":2gsi5y40 said:
The player cheated....
....what's wrong with pointing out the obvious.
Because if folk have paid for a product they are entitled to a professional, informed and objective opinion/summary.

If random bursts of 'stating the bleedin' obvious were all that was required then just sit the microphone in any given row of the stands because in every one there's a loud mouthed biff shouting exactly that.

Feb 12, 2017
Ok, as someone who's performed this role, I'll put in my two cents:

Firstly, there's a reason Foxy, Gritts et al are similar - they're ex players. The type of commentary they're going to give you are much different than a 'fan' commentator like me or indeed Rick, and Bob Foale before me.

As a fan, you are encouraged (as was my feedback from the production team the first time I did it) to call it as you see it, and a fan summariser can inject a little more emotion into the proceedings. The ex pro's will delivery a more technical analysis, where as someone like me or Rick will bring some more emotion to it.

First one I did was at Doncaster last season, and while I can safely say it was probably because I was nervous, when I listened to it back I sounded really bland. So, after the feedback I received, after the Accrington game (and we all know how that ended) when the studio came to me to summarise - I gave what they asked for - brutal reality based on my true thoughts, and I let Derek Adams have it both barrels, especially as he just buggered off on the team bus and didn't bother giving an interview. A few people have criticised me for that, but that's what I was there for.

That's all Rick did today - giving his honest opinion, and I laughed when he said what he did about that player and the second goal. "I don't care - no credit from me". BRILLIANT!. Much rather listen to that. You don't need two people to call the match - that's what the main host/commentator is for.

When I worked with Ian Randell at Port Vale - he told me this: "my job is to say what happened, your job is to say why". And that's perfect. Describes the role to a tee.

So Rick was describing - in his opinion - WHY Gary Sawyer was sent off, and that he thought it was unfair. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

As Ian has already pointed out, Gordon Sparks was probably the most green goggled commentator we've ever had, and there's nothing wrong with that. I remember the 'Dublin' comment. Excellent. Just what you want to hear.

Nice one Rick.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
'Dion Dublin, suck on that!!'
Who said that again? The revered Gordon Sparkes.
Also have fond memories of him shouting at vocal home supporters from his commentary position to sit down and keep schtum.
So.. whilst not the biggest Cowdrey fan, I'd say there is precedent for a partisan, emotive guy behind the mic

May 16, 2016
If we had somehow won that game, he'd be regaled for showing his passion for the Club. I thought he just called it as he saw it.

On a side note, didn't anyone else hear the Argyle Commentator get cut off by BBC Radio Devon just as he started his summary so they could go direct to St James because the Exeter Manager was about to speak, and we all know that when City speaks, the BBC listen.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
From what I can gather from those posters who actually attended the game they tend to agree with Rick. We didn't go, however the initial comment about cheating came from the reporter sat alongside Rick. I think that a player rolling around as though both legs have been amputated without anaesthetic and then when the red card is produced gets up and runs around as though nothing has happened could be fairly described as a cheat. Either way I would rather have someone like Rick or Gordon who is a fan commentating rather than someone from the BBC who lives in exeter who is not interested in Argyle. I also feel that clubs who cannot keep their pitches in reasonable condition shouldn't be in the league. Also PASOTI isn't a site for slagging people off. :scarf:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Mike, looking at various social media the majority believe it was a red card all day long and let's not forget many people will be looking at it from an Argyle angle too so might be a little biased. Whether they were at the match is irrelevant as they can replay it countless times on social media to form their own judgement. Not sure whether your slagging people off is a general comment or relating to Rick Cowdery in particular? There is nothing wrong with passion but I just feel some of his comments were ill judged from a club spokesman. The FA and EFL don't need much excuse to haul people over the coals and I'm not sure Ryan Lowe wouldn't have got away with them in a post match interview. I find your pitch comments just a tad draconian too after the unprecedented weather of recent months.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Guiri Green":37ng2xl2 said:
On a side note, didn't anyone else hear the Argyle Commentator get cut off by BBC Radio Devon just as he started his summary so they could go direct to St James because the Exeter Manager was about to speak, and we all know that when City speaks, the BBC listen.

It happens on a regular basis. Also, Lowe’s interview was edited and the second half was a repeat of the first, then faded out when someone noticed.

Amateur hour at the beeb again!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
From the commentary it sounded like the red card for Sawyer and the second yellow for Sarcevic were harsh but looking at the match highlights I reckon the referee got it right.

It does sound like Radio Devon struggle for match co-commentators, especially in far flung northern stadiums. Chris Errington used to do it but since he's become a one man band at the Herald it's probably too much to watch the match, run Twitter updates, write a report and co-commentate.
Rick Cowdery was very good in previous matches.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Agree with IJN . Connolly was close to dying when he collided with an advertising board in the first half. Still injured when the ref stopped the game even though he was off the pitch then made a miraculous recovery when he realised the ref was about to restart the game. Cheat,!

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
bringonthemilkman":110csakb said:
Agree with IJN . Connolly was close to dying when he collided with an advertising board in the first half. Still injured when the ref stopped the game even though he was off the pitch then made a miraculous recovery when he realised the ref was about to restart the game. Cheat,!

You might very well think that, but a senior PAFC employee possibly shouldn't comment. :problem:

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
jerryatricjanner":2kibmeuo said:
Mike, looking at various social media the majority believe it was a red card all day long and let's not forget many people will be looking at it from an Argyle angle too so might be a little biased. Whether they were at the match is irrelevant as they can replay it countless times on social media to form their own judgement. Not sure whether your slagging people off is a general comment or relating to Rick Cowdery in particular? There is nothing wrong with passion but I just feel some of his comments were ill judged from a club spokesman. The FA and EFL don't need much excuse to haul people over the coals and I'm not sure Ryan Lowe wouldn't have got away with them in a post match interview. I find your pitch comments just a tad draconian too after the unprecedented weather of recent months.
Maybe but most clubs keep their pitches fairly presentable but for someone to take the trouble to put in on Facebook a cartoon about a rotovator and a ton of seed potatoes must have thought the pitch was worse that most.