Rick Cowdery | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rick Cowdery

Jul 14, 2008
IJN":zzv0dnik said:
So you never enjoyed Sparksy?
Personally I never really did. He was so passionate that I found it difficult to know what was going on. It often sounded like we were about to score but in actual fact we had won a throw in half way inside our own half!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":3v9bkmay said:
The Doctor":3v9bkmay said:
He was practically screaming at the mic that Connolly was a cheat.

Isn't that what made Sparksy so likeable?

"Dion Dublin suck on that"!!

Is there an audio clip of this saved anywhere, so I can use it as my text tone? :lol:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Mr Swim, pm me your email address and I’ll buzz it over to you.

Sep 3, 2009
IJN":33fiwlwv said:
So you never enjoyed Sparksy?

Sometimes, not always. He could actually present and had a certain charm.

I don’t believe Mr Cowdery is a good commentator and he lacks charm. Allied to the blinkered analysis - actually, it’s not even analysis, more like propaganda - it can be pretty wearing.

It’s possible to be partisan without being blind. Most of the time, I think Sparksy stayed the right side of this line. Rick Cowdery never does.

Agree to disagree, I think.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
I have to agree that the co-comms at the weekend was fairly cringe-worthy. It is the job of the commentator to paint an accurate and objective picture of what is happening on the pitch. It is the role of the co-commentator to add snippets of information and expert opinions that enhance the commentary and provide a richer context for the commentary.

It is not the job of a co-commentator to constantly insist Argyle are the better team when it is clear that they are not. Several times this season I have had to listen to Cowdrey telling me Argyle have not been troubled and are the much better team, when the pictures I am seeing and the scoreline tell a very different story. It comes across as unprofessional and is not the product that people are after, especially if you are listening on the radio and don't have the pictures to make up your own mind.

Even as a fan, so much bias in football is tiring. You spend the entire game constantly enraged that you are being hard done by. Why not see the game as it is, enjoy the ebb and flow, the gamesmanship from both teams, hope your team win and cheer the boys on? The irony of football fans is they spend so much energy hurling abuse at the other side, only to be pretty much the same, just in a different coloured shirt.

Jul 7, 2005
As Rick Cowdery winds up so many Argyle fans, me very much included, I fully expect Radio Exeter to use him as co-commentator on a permanent basis.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
I always thought Sparksy and Chris Errington made the perfect team for commentating on Argyle matches. One being the green-tint fanatic who always saw the plus side of all things Argyle and the other the more reasoned voice of reality, bringing things back down to earth again.