Ridsdale cleared | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ridsdale cleared

A

Arch Stanton

Im pleased for the guy and also believe that history will be a little kinder to Peter Ridsdales tenure at Argyle then many of his critics will like.

A

Anonymous

:clap: :iagree:

Mustn't make a habit of it though, eh? :greensmile:

A

Arch Stanton

IJN":3hww1ws7 said:
:clap: :iagree:

Mustn't make a habit of it though, eh? :greensmile:

Im beginning to get worried my friend :lol: :huddle:

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Daz":2crmc5ul said:
I dont understand some of the comments on this thread. The double standards are staggering.

Of course it should be announced on the OS, for months on end some he has been reminded of this court case as a reason why he shouldn't be involved with us as he was guilty and a fraudster and now he has been cleared he has every right to inform the fans that he did nothing wrong.

Smiffy, you need to look up the way our justice system works.
This for me. If the OS were reporting a guilty verdict on him we wouldn't have heard a peep about it being on there. As I recall at the last hearing the magistrate adjourned it so that both sides could examine some paperwork. I'd hazard a guess that the Trading Standards were told then that what they were producing wasn't enough to even proceed with a court case.

Dec 2, 2010
Plymouth
More information here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... cheme.html
Peter Ridsdale has been cleared of fraud after breaking a promise to fans that their ticket money would be spent on new players.

The controversial ex-Leeds United and Cardiff City chairman, currently acting chairman at Plymouth Argyle, walked free after trading standards chiefs dropped charges over a 'Golden Ticket' scheme.

Ridsdale, 59, was in charge at Cardiff when the club launched the promotion to encourage fans to buy season tickets costing more than Ā£400. The club said cash raised from season ticket sales in December 2009 would be spent on new players in the January 2010 transfer window.
Chairman: Peter Ridsdale has been in charge at Cardiff and Leeds

But at the end of January 27, 2010, the club issued a statement saying no new players would be bought. Fans complained to Trading Standards chiefs saying they had been 'conned' into spending their hard-earned cash.

Ridsdale had twice appeared at Cardiff magistrates court accused of fraud and breaching consumer protection regulations. He said he would plead not guilty to the charges - and that he would 'vehemently rebuff' the allegations.

The charges were dropped at court and Ridsdale smiled as he walked free.

A Cardiff council spokesperson said later: 'The prosecution was brought in response to a number of concerns expressed by supporters who bought into the "Golden Ticket" scheme in good faith.

Latest role: Ridsdale is currently acting chairman of Plymouth Argyle
'The charges of unfair trading and fraud brought against Mr Ridsdale concerned a scheme promising supporters a full refund if the club was promoted to the Premier League and that proceeds of the scheme would be spent on players in January 2010.

'However, Cardiff City Football Club was under a transfer embargo at that time. On paper, there was a case to answer.

'However the council has recently obtained further evidence from prosecution witnesses and taken the advice of a leading Counsel.

'After a thorough analysis of this new evidence, and due to the reluctance of those supporters who raised concerns to provide witness statements, the Council considered that a conviction after trial was unlikely.

'Consequently, the Council has decided to discontinue the prosecution.'

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Keepitgreen":1fal1d6q said:
Daz":1fal1d6q said:
I dont understand some of the comments on this thread. The double standards are staggering.

Of course it should be announced on the OS, for months on end some he has been reminded of this court case as a reason why he shouldn't be involved with us as he was guilty and a fraudster and now he has been cleared he has every right to inform the fans that he did nothing wrong.

Smiffy, you need to look up the way our justice system works.
This for me. If the OS were reporting a guilty verdict on him we wouldn't have heard a peep about it being on there. As I recall at the last hearing the magistrate adjourned it so that both sides could examine some paperwork. I'd hazard a guess that the Trading Standards were told then that what they were producing wasn't enough to even proceed with a court case.

Spot on Daz. The guy is innocent and said he was from the very start. The statement on the OS seems quite balanced for one from a man who was clearly under tremendous personal pressure. I'm pleased for him.

Jul 6, 2011
JonB":m69xt24n said:
Ridsdale is innocent. There are no shades of grey in English law & to suggest otherwise; in particular to state that he has not been vindicated due to the fact that charges were brought in the first instance, is libellous. No ifs, no buts.

That no evidence was was presented by the prosecuting body reflects exceptionally poorly on their preparation & is utterly inexcusable - it is the polar opposite of a 'minor technicality'.

Understand the feelings, but the man is innocent. Can't we just leave it at that?

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Ave_IT":2yxq0b75 said:
lunarjetman":2yxq0b75 said:
He shouldn't have used Argyle's Official Site for this statement but I do sympathise with Ridsdale.

People are continually complaining about him and implying that he is corrupt and greedy.

In actual fact, he has probably saved Argyle from oblivian. Yes- for a salary, and yes he likes everyone to know how marvellous he is. But so what ? Without Ridsdale there might have been no football club.

Remember that James Brent thought that Argyle's chances of survival were 10% earlier this year. A number of people "in the know" are saying that Ridsdale has done a good job here. Without Ridsdale's efforts, I doubt that the Brent takeover would be happening right now.

I think he has done little wrong at Argyle to deserve such criticism.

Ridsdale does whatā€™s best for Ridsdale i.e. to further his own personal aims and ambitions. If that happens to coincide with our interest then great ā€“ if not then look out! When he first arrived ā€˜on holidayā€™ the rats were leaving a sinking ship and he spotted a golden opportunity to get his hands on a football club. Stage one meant fighting off HMRC and buying the club time to recover. That was certainly in our interests so Iā€™m perfectly willing to believe those who say he helped save the club and for that we are in his debt.

I hear what your saying but you know what? When I go to work, it's for me.... :thumbup: I do whats best for the company I represent but its for the money I receive at the end of the month, it gives me a standard of living, holidays etc.

I earn reasonably good money, not in Ridsdales league but there are people out there who earn more than he does.

Way of the world and all that...

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
lunarjetman":3epj3jd0 said:
He shouldn't have used Argyle's Official Site for this statement but I do sympathise with Ridsdale.

People are continually complaining about him and implying that he is corrupt and greedy.

In actual fact, he has probably saved Argyle from oblivian. Yes- for a salary, and yes he likes everyone to know how marvellous he is. But so what ? Without Ridsdale there might have been no football club.

Remember that James Brent thought that Argyle's chances of survival were 10% earlier this year. A number of people "in the know" are saying that Ridsdale has done a good job here. Without Ridsdale's efforts, I doubt that the Brent takeover would be happening right now.

I think he has done little wrong at Argyle to deserve such criticism.

Yep I'm having some of this post too.

M

Mr Smith

Ave_IT":thkmn2lp said:
Ridsdale does whatā€™s best for Ridsdale i.e. to further his own personal aims and ambitions. If that happens to coincide with our interest then great ā€“ if not then look out! When he first arrived ā€˜on holidayā€™ the rats were leaving a sinking ship and he spotted a golden opportunity to get his hands on a football club. Stage one meant fighting off HMRC and buying the club time to recover. That was certainly in our interests so Iā€™m perfectly willing to believe those who say he helped save the club and for that we are in his debt.

Stage two meant finding a buyer that maximised his own chances of taking personal control with the help of a ā€˜friendlyā€™ administrator. Frankly I donā€™t believe a word of his now stated preference for Brent ā€“ he threw his whole weight behind the BIL bid (right down to the company registration in his home town) and consistently backed the Guilfoyle line about it being the only real option. Thatā€™s the one option that just happened to hand him the keys to the club for Ā£1. THAT was definitely not in our interest and damned near ended our existence and may still result in us dropping out of the Football league. Even when it was blatantly obvious Heaney & co. were not going to deliver instead of forcing the issue to get the Brent bid back in the frame he was jetting off desperately trying to find other exceedingly dodgy ā€˜investorsā€™ that might salvage his chance of getting control. Utterly disgraceful. So if he did save us when it suited him he didnā€™t bat an eye at risking everything when it didnā€™t. Even now he wrings the last bit of PR he can out the club for himself.

The sooner he clears off the better.

Businessman in trying to make money shocker. :shock:

M

Mr Smith

greengenes":32h7xse1 said:
Couldn't care less about the verdict . Should he have used the OS for his personal statement ? IMHO no .

Well of course he should have... he's still acting chairman, i'd guess if he didn't make the statement on there most on here would be having a go at that as well 'something to hide etc'. I bet you'd care about the verdict if it went the other way! :lol:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Pure as the driven snow our Pete ā€“ completely innocent.

That is how justice works in the UK - end of!

Time at Argyle - I've got no major gripes and wonder what would have happened if he had not helped a little.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Mr Smith":1pkpycxw said:
Ave_IT":1pkpycxw said:

Stage two meant finding a buyer that maximised his own chances of taking personal control with the help of a ā€˜friendlyā€™ administrator. Frankly I donā€™t believe a word of his now stated preference for Brent ā€“ he threw his whole weight behind the BIL bid (right down to the company registration in his home town) and consistently backed the Guilfoyle line about it being the only real option. Thatā€™s the one option that just happened to hand him the keys to the club for Ā£1. THAT was definitely not in our interest and damned near ended our existence and may still result in us dropping out of the Football league. Even when it was blatantly obvious Heaney & co. were not going to deliver instead of forcing the issue to get the Brent bid back in the frame he was jetting off desperately trying to find other exceedingly dodgy ā€˜investorsā€™ that might salvage his chance of getting control. Utterly disgraceful. So if he did save us when it suited him he didnā€™t bat an eye at risking everything when it didnā€™t. Even now he wrings the last bit of PR he can out the club for himself.

The sooner he clears off the better.

Businessman in trying to make money shocker. :shock:

Fine. So a professional football club in one of Englandā€™s great cities folds after 125 years. But hey, itā€™s just business innit?

May 20, 2006
WHERE EVER I AM
So backing Heaney for so long, isn't doing anything wrong at Argyle is it.
We all know the reasons why he backed him, it was a gamble, one that he was prepared to take and what that could still see us buggered.

L

Laughter My Ploy

Again just goes to show how Ridsdale divides....he's innocent and that's fair enough....he can shout it from the roof tops and bring it up every time it's levelled against him

But imagine at his next club....and I hope it's a next club and not ours....that he goes on a season ticket marketing drive....how much would anyone believe if he said it would be spent on new players