Sarcevic moving on (15.07.20 - signs for Bolton, confirmed) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sarcevic moving on (15.07.20 - signs for Bolton, confirmed)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Pottypilgrim":qpqkavbj said:
demportdave":qpqkavbj said:
He did have a pretty good season and scored some important goals.

He looked fitter and seemed to enjoy his football a bit more playing for Lowe compared to Adams.

I would have been quite happy for him to have stayed but won't lose any sleep over him leaving as he was pretty average in our relegation season, so maybe staying in League 2 suits him from a footballing perspective.

I don't blame him for wanting to relocate back home and I'm sure that Salford can more than match any offer from Argyle or most other clubs at our level, so good luck to him.

Whilst I genuinely wish him well on a personal level, I find it hard to say anything positive about such an artificial club as Salford. They represent everything that is wrong with the financial model of lower-league football.

He's a league 2 player. Not consistent enough for league 1. I'm guessing Lowe made him an offer that reflected the fact that he wouldn't be getting much game time. Turning it down for 'family reasons' is just the stock response for saying the money wasn't good enough. Its not attractive to say its about the money as no-one likes to be seen as a money grabber. If Lowe's offer was a decent one then he would have stayed, after all, he loves it down here.
Just another example of people p*ssing down your back and telling you it's raining.
One day there might just actually be a bit of honesty from players, managers etc in what they say. Not sure I'll see it in my time.
I did like that he played his football with a real honesty though. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

You're accusing him of 'dishonesty' and of 'peeing down your back' whilst basing your opinion on: 'I'm guessing'??!! :crazy:

It's not attractive to say it is about money (maybe not) but it's definitely not attractive to slag off a player who has put a (good) shift in for us.

I hate these: 'I've got a real insight into Pro Football that you proles will never understand' posts!! :furious:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
blightfoot66":2m6jqcxt said:
I thought manager of the month was always known as a kiss of death in football. With Argyle it appears to be player of the season, they always see to go
Whilst this has been the case for the last two seasons that the award winner has left immediately afterwards, Onismor Bhasera is the only other case of this I can see going back to the early 2000's.

Best of luck to Sarce - he will be a loss to this team. He's certainly not irreplaceable though and I look forward to seeing who Lowe can bring in to replace him. Bakinson always struck me as a player similar to Sarcevic - not a great passer or finisher but strong, has a good engine and can drive forward with the ball from midfield to start attacks. Maybe we could look into getting him back again.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Dan Ellard":jm98m2e7 said:
blightfoot66":jm98m2e7 said:
I thought manager of the month was always known as a kiss of death in football. With Argyle it appears to be player of the season, they always see to go
Whilst this has been the case for the last two seasons that the award winner has left immediately afterwards, Onismor Bhasera is the only other case of this I can see going back to the early 2000's.

Best of luck to Sarce - he will be a loss to this team. He's certainly not irreplaceable though and I look forward to seeing who Lowe can bring in to replace him. Bakinson always struck me as a player similar to Sarcevic - not a great passer or finisher but strong, has a good engine and can drive forward with the ball from midfield to start attacks. Maybe we could look into getting him back again.

I'm not so sure...
I was not all that convinced by him in L2 to be honest, let alone in L1.
He does have some good traits to his game, but a bit rough around the edges for L1 for me.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Good luck for the future Sarce. Whatever your motivations were or were not you gave it 100% whilst here and that's all we can ask.

I'm not too upset, I liked him but whilst he's done a job in L2 a few times, he's never found his feet in L1.

I would think the family reasons are genuine. I've moved jobs a couple of times for that reason, once when I took a substantial pay cut, the other seeing me moving with no real difference in wages offered. It happens. I didn't dislike the employers I left, it's just that circumstances change. We all get wrapped up in Argyle but some forget that for the players, whilst many will gain an affection for the club while at Home Park (as Sarce clearly did - it's a nice statement he's put out), football is primarily a job for them, I can only wish him all the best and thank him for his performances for Argyle, particularly last season when he was a cut above anyone else in the team.

M

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs":weou012i said:
No problem with that, at all.

Most of would agree that it's entirely possible to really love a job and place and still make a change for family and financial reasons, so I don't think he has been insincere in his love of Argyle/Plymouth in the slightest.

Best of luck, Sarce!
:thumbs:

Jan 27, 2012
PL2 3DQ":sroluigd said:
Once the furlough scheme ends there's no guarantee that we can pay wages without fans returning to the stadium, so if it's true that Sarcevic is signing for Salford they have the financial backing to pay wages without crowds at games (which is more or less what they do anyway).

One of Sarcevic's best performances for Argyle was at Salford, it's also close to home for him.

Agreed- clubs need to cut their costs to cope with the Covid-19 situation and players will need to be paid less. Hence,most contract offers will be much lower than they would have been last year. Argyle, like most other clubs, are not in a position to hand out large contracts to star players. The priority this year is keeping the club solvent.

However, it seems this doesn't apply to Salford. Obviously they are benefiting from some 'financial doping' because their crowd sizes suggest that they should be in the Conference rather than signing star players from League One clubs. We don't know Sarcevic is going there, but I bet he is !

It will be interesting to see what happens to Salford if a wage cap, based on turnover, is introduced. Such a system would probably benefit Argyle as we are one of the larger clubs at this level. But the likes of Salford are clearly going to be screwed. Back to the Conference they go.

As for players of the year leaving- yes, it always seems to happen. That's why I was hoping Scott Wooton would win. The first player of the year that I remember leaving was Kenny Brown in 1990 or something and it seems to have been an annual occurence over the last three decades.
PS- I bet Kenny Brown hasn't been mentioned in this forum very recently !

Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
Sarcevic had a great season with some very important goals. Deserved player of the season. Will do well at Salford if thatā€™s his destination.

We are going to need better players than Sarce to succeed in league 1. As much as I liked them Iā€™m surprised RL has offered contracts to Sarce and Sawyer tbh.

They both lack pace like a lot of the team, and unless this issue is addressed will definitely be a problem in league 1.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":19mkeb2d said:
Not at all surprising. I wish fans would stop taking any notice of what football people say on social media. It was only a couple of weeks ago that people were coming on here adamant Sarcevic was staying because of something he said on some random Facebook fans site. Others reckon Cooper won't be leaving Peterborough because their chairman said so on Twitter lol.

I was convinced all along that Sarce would leave if Salford were in for him, and I wish him well up there. He was more responsible than most for getting us back into League One and he'll always have a fond reception from me whenever he returns to Home Park in the future.

However, League Two is his level and I have full faith in RL and his management team that a better replacement will be found. There is plenty of evidence in his career so far to suggest Sarce is a very average player in League One and his departure should be seen in that context.

And as I pointed out in a recent post, that's now three of our last four Players of the Year who have left after winning the award!

Dont agree. He was pretty good in first season up under Adams.

StroudGreen

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stroud
Sarcevic earns my respect for doing things the right way. He was as culprit able as the rest of the squad for last seasons shocking relegation, but he stayed and promised to put things right which he has done.
He also leaves on the back of his best season for us and his effort, attitude and commitment over the last season ensures that he will be fondly remembered by the green army.
Itā€™s also fair to say his previous 2.5 years with us was blighted by injury, lack of fitness and inconsistent form and he remains unproven at League 1 level.
Like many others, he has won me over this season and for me bows out for me as one of the Argyle good guys.

Apr 9, 2011
Done well for us especially last season. Lge 2 is probably his level though & i expect he realises that. Good luck with the" plastic" club that is Salford City

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Balham_Green":2rts2mw6 said:
WoodsyGreen":2rts2mw6 said:
Not at all surprising. I wish fans would stop taking any notice of what football people say on social media. It was only a couple of weeks ago that people were coming on here adamant Sarcevic was staying because of something he said on some random Facebook fans site. Others reckon Cooper won't be leaving Peterborough because their chairman said so on Twitter lol.

I was convinced all along that Sarce would leave if Salford were in for him, and I wish him well up there. He was more responsible than most for getting us back into League One and he'll always have a fond reception from me whenever he returns to Home Park in the future.

However, League Two is his level and I have full faith in RL and his management team that a better replacement will be found. There is plenty of evidence in his career so far to suggest Sarce is a very average player in League One and his departure should be seen in that context.

And as I pointed out in a recent post, that's now three of our last four Players of the Year who have left after winning the award!

Dont agree. He was pretty good in first season up under Adams.
True - one of the best performances I saw under Adams was when we beat Blackburn (who were flying high at the time ) and Sarcevic was absolutely superb .....completely dominated the match from start to finish. If he can do that against the a very expensive Blackburn side in L1 (who I think finished runners-up) I don't understand those who reckon he's only a L2 standard player.