Sarcevic moving on (15.07.20 - signs for Bolton, confirmed) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sarcevic moving on (15.07.20 - signs for Bolton, confirmed)

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
gaspargomez":zy3kfrrw said:
PL2 3DQ":zy3kfrrw said:
Once the furlough scheme ends there's no guarantee that we can pay wages without fans returning to the stadium, so if it's true that Sarcevic is signing for Salford they have the financial backing to pay wages without crowds at games (which is more or less what they do anyway).

One of Sarcevic's best performances for Argyle was at Salford, it's also close to home for him.

Agreed- clubs need to cut their costs to cope with the Covid-19 situation and players will need to be paid less. Hence,most contract offers will be much lower than they would have been last year. Argyle, like most other clubs, are not in a position to hand out large contracts to star players. The priority this year is keeping the club solvent.

However, it seems this doesn't apply to Salford. Obviously they are benefiting from some 'financial doping' because their crowd sizes suggest that they should be in the Conference rather than signing star players from League One clubs. We don't know Sarcevic is going there, but I bet he is !

It will be interesting to see what happens to Salford if a wage cap, based on turnover, is introduced. Such a system would probably benefit Argyle as we are one of the larger clubs at this level. But the likes of Salford are clearly going to be screwed. Back to the Conference they go.

As for players of the year leaving- yes, it always seems to happen. That's why I was hoping Scott Wooton would win. The first player of the year that I remember leaving was Kenny Brown in 1990 or something and it seems to have been an annual occurence over the last three decades.
PS- I bet Kenny Brown hasn't been mentioned in this forum very recently !

I guess that a club with financial backing like Salford could beat the salary cap by signing on players now before it comes in (if it does). They would then surely have a grace period during which they would have to adjust their finances. But they might think that if they invest heavily now, especially as a lot of good players will be available relatively cheaply, then they could buy a squad good enough to get them out of League 2 next season and through League 1 the season after on the assumption that things will be financially different for them in the Championship in 2022-23. Maybe.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Gets my best wishes.

He’s a player that performed this season but I think he’s also a player right at his limits of ability.

Good luck to him and I don’t want to sound disrespectful but I think we can equal or even better a Sarcevic in L1.

Sep 2, 2008
Pogleswoody":5gbzfm1c said:
Pottypilgrim":5gbzfm1c said:
demportdave":5gbzfm1c said:
He did have a pretty good season and scored some important goals.

He looked fitter and seemed to enjoy his football a bit more playing for Lowe compared to Adams.

I would have been quite happy for him to have stayed but won't lose any sleep over him leaving as he was pretty average in our relegation season, so maybe staying in League 2 suits him from a footballing perspective.

I don't blame him for wanting to relocate back home and I'm sure that Salford can more than match any offer from Argyle or most other clubs at our level, so good luck to him.

Whilst I genuinely wish him well on a personal level, I find it hard to say anything positive about such an artificial club as Salford. They represent everything that is wrong with the financial model of lower-league football.

He's a league 2 player. Not consistent enough for league 1. I'm guessing Lowe made him an offer that reflected the fact that he wouldn't be getting much game time. Turning it down for 'family reasons' is just the stock response for saying the money wasn't good enough. Its not attractive to say its about the money as no-one likes to be seen as a money grabber. If Lowe's offer was a decent one then he would have stayed, after all, he loves it down here.
Just another example of people p*ssing down your back and telling you it's raining.
One day there might just actually be a bit of honesty from players, managers etc in what they say. Not sure I'll see it in my time.
I did like that he played his football with a real honesty though. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

You're accusing him of 'dishonesty' and of 'pi$$ing down your back' whilst basing your opinion on: 'I'm guessing'??!! :crazy:

It's not attractive to say it is about money (maybe not) but it's definitely not attractive to slag off a player who has put a (good) shift in for us.

I hate these: 'I've got a real insight into Pro Football that you proles will never understand' posts!! :furious:

How do you know that I haven't? Also, do you actually believe that he left for family reasons considering how he has been waxing lyrical about living and loving life down here? I guess some people only choose to see what they want to see.

May 21, 2015
Rumour is we already have his replacement effectively lined up, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Pottypilgrim":dwr2p2jd said:
Pogleswoody":dwr2p2jd said:
Pottypilgrim":dwr2p2jd said:
demportdave":dwr2p2jd said:

He looked fitter and seemed to enjoy his football a bit more playing for Lowe compared to Adams.

I would have been quite happy for him to have stayed but won't lose any sleep over him leaving as he was pretty average in our relegation season, so maybe staying in League 2 suits him from a footballing perspective.

I don't blame him for wanting to relocate back home and I'm sure that Salford can more than match any offer from Argyle or most other clubs at our level, so good luck to him.

Whilst I genuinely wish him well on a personal level, I find it hard to say anything positive about such an artificial club as Salford. They represent everything that is wrong with the financial model of lower-league football.

He's a league 2 player. Not consistent enough for league 1. I'm guessing Lowe made him an offer that reflected the fact that he wouldn't be getting much game time. Turning it down for 'family reasons' is just the stock response for saying the money wasn't good enough. Its not attractive to say its about the money as no-one likes to be seen as a money grabber. If Lowe's offer was a decent one then he would have stayed, after all, he loves it down here.
Just another example of people p*ssing down your back and telling you it's raining.
One day there might just actually be a bit of honesty from players, managers etc in what they say. Not sure I'll see it in my time.
I did like that he played his football with a real honesty though. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

You're accusing him of 'dishonesty' and of 'pi$$ing down your back' whilst basing your opinion on: 'I'm guessing'??!! :crazy:

It's not attractive to say it is about money (maybe not) but it's definitely not attractive to slag off a player who has put a (good) shift in for us.

I hate these: 'I've got a real insight into Pro Football that you proles will never understand' posts!! :furious:

How do you know that I haven't? Also, do you actually believe that he left for family reasons considering how he has been waxing lyrical about living and loving life down here? I guess some people only choose to see what they want to see.

Just because he loves it down here doesn't mean it's the best thing for his family. It may be a great thing for his family but their circumstances may mean that they would be better off elsewhere whilst still loving Devon.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":2yktxv9x said:
'Sarce' is trending on Twitter at number 11 in the UK. :)
so happy I don’t actually know what that means

Sep 3, 2009
Don't agree with those who think he wouldn't cut the mustard in League One.

My feeling is that we saw the real Sarcevic last season with an injury-free run in the team. For most of the rest of his time here, he either seemed to be coming back from injury, or playing with one.

Don't think he's irreplaceable by any means but would have liked to see him stay.

Good luck to him for what comes next. He didn't have to make that parting statement and his affection for the club (and both his managers) seems genuine.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
No great surprise,house up for sale and his recent non-commital comments about his future suggested he was not going to sign another contract
Maybe the contract offer was on reduced wages,one year only ? maybe Ryan Lowe said he was not going to be a regular next season ?...we dont know
Thanks for your efforts Sarce...we move on

Sep 2, 2008
Liam Vercoe":33qek4h2 said:
Pottypilgrim":33qek4h2 said:
Pogleswoody":33qek4h2 said:
Pottypilgrim":33qek4h2 said:
demportdave":33qek4h2 said:

Just because he loves it down here doesn't mean it's the best thing for his family. It may be a great thing for his family but their circumstances may mean that they would be better off elsewhere whilst still loving Devon.

Ok. Lets rewind a little bit to the time when Sarce knew his Contract was up. If his intention was to move back up North for 'family reasons' then I suggest to you that he would never have waited for an offer from Lowe. If his mind was made up then I'm sure being the honest lad he is then he would have let Lowe know and saved him the trouble of going about working out all the figures etc. He didn't do that though did he. He still waited to see what Lowe would offer him.
Its actually what pretty much everyone else would have done as well so I'm not having a pop at him for that. It just gets right up my nose when players, managers etc don't have the nuts to say what the real reasons are. Fair enough, they don't have to tell the likes of us why they make this decision or that decision but if they do decide to share their reasoning then don't dress it up in some other guise to make themselves look like someone they're not.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I thank Sarce for his sterling service to Argyle during his time here and I acknowledge his step up in form during this last season making a big contribution towards the club's promotion success. I just feel that some of the remarks posted on here have been driven by those posters being disappointed about his departure, but remember footballers these days are not enslaved anymore to their clubs.. Let's look forward to his replacement. With a projected 1500 surplus players in the EFL this closed season,I am sure RL's canny judgement of a player will ensure that any incoming attacking midfielder will be more than adequate to fill Sarce's boots. Upwards and onwards.

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Pleased with the way Sarce buckled down to put last season's relegation to rights with this season's performances being the best we've seen from him. Will miss him but only until the new player arrives and delivers his performances but with a little more pace. Good luck Sarce.

Mar 14, 2009
Wonderful final season for us.

I remember watching him and thinking how good he can be. Yet frustrated how poor he often was.

I remember Charlton at home in league one. I think one of our opening season fixtures. The second half of this game he just bossed it. At times he his energetic, physical style gave Argyle an edge.

However, there are times when he was just anonymous. Sometimes l found he would have a break out the team. Then take four or five games to get back up to speed. Then he got injured or sent off off and it was back to square one.

I love his attitude. That will be missed. Yet when l think about our playing style and our desire to keep possession lm not sure he suits us going forward. Also you have to think he plays in the CAM position and ask the question is he really creative enough for that part of the pitch. He was more a hustle and bustle type.

Great way to leave the club, if you have to leave. Thank you for all your efforts Sarc. :scarf:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I have no idea about his reasons for not re-signing and it is none of my business, I enjoyed his time here and always thought that when he played well the team played well, Thanks for the goals and assists Mr Sarcevic and all the best to you and your family in your future endeavours. :clap: