Sarcevic to Salford? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sarcevic to Salford?

Aug 5, 2016
Allanon":1qtx7qjn said:
WoodsyGreen":1qtx7qjn said:
I'm sure Bournemouth fans have absolutely hated the last few years and pine for the days of travelling to Rochdale and Macclesfield.

A family member that has supported Bournemouth all his life, Has said to me "as good as it is to see Premier league football, its no longer the same club I've supported all my life". Take that as you wish.

Noel Gallagher said something similar about Manchester City and the Champions League. It was along the lines that those occasions mean nothing to him, that his club was never brought up on European nights like they were at Manchester United and Liverpool, that the hunt for European glory just isn't in Manchester City's DNA. The club has a torrid time selling tickets for Champions League fixtures, the hardcore ST holder fan base really don't seem interested in watching Shakhtar Donetsk, Marseille or Valencia.

My guess is that your instincts go back to your childhood memories and everything that made you fall in love with the game and with your club. Manchester City won the occasional title and cup, but were never a dominant power in English football. They suffered relegations and spent years in the wilderness, but their fans seemed to embrace the hardship with loyal home and away followings.

Now their status is elevated among the very elite clubs expected to win silverware, it is a feeling many of their old supporters don't seem totally comfortable with. It just isn't them and what their club has always been about. They were familiar with bouncing between Division Two and Division One with huge lower league crowds, winning promotions, sometimes getting one over Manchester United whilst being the firm underdog, but usually failing.

Now they are Sheikh Mansour's trainset and expected to win the title with a serious push for Champions League contention, it is an unfamiliar new boundary that many of their fans don't know what this new club identity is about. They never used to judge a season on the trophy haul, a transfer window by how many World cup stars they signed, or sack a manager for only finishing fourth in the top flight. That was something Manchester United and Liverpool did while they were happy enough finishing 15th and watching George Kinkladze.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the true hardcore fans of some thirty or forty years following the club did miss the old days, floating between the divisions, being good some seasons and rubbish others. Great and varied away trips up and down the country. That is what they bought into their club knowing they were, and fell in love with for life.

How do you explain that though when fans are brainwashed into believing the world revolves around winning the Champions League, or competing at the highest standard of football possible? That fans could actually quite miss those trips to Birmingham and Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bristol City. That playing Borussia Dortmund and having more World cup winning Germans in your team than they do isn't the club you obsessed about as a kid?

Almost all of the same would no doubt apply to Bournemouth, a small 3rd to 4th division level club experiencing an elevation in stature way beyond the club those supporters remember supporting for decades. Yes the standard of competition is higher, but supporting your football club can be about so much more than that.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":1zm7l67q said:
Allanon":1zm7l67q said:
WoodsyGreen":1zm7l67q said:
I'm sure Bournemouth fans have absolutely hated the last few years and pine for the days of travelling to Rochdale and Macclesfield.

A family member that has supported Bournemouth all his life, Has said to me "as good as it is to see Premier league football, its no longer the same club I've supported all my life". Take that as you wish.

Noel Gallagher said something similar about Manchester City and the Champions League. It was along the lines that those occasions mean nothing to him, that his club was never brought up on European nights like they were at Manchester United and Liverpool, that the hunt for European glory just isn't in Manchester City's DNA. The club has a torrid time selling tickets for Champions League fixtures, the hardcore ST holder fan base really don't seem interested in watching Shakhtar Donetsk, Marseille or Valencia.

My guess is that your instincts go back to your childhood memories and everything that made you fall in love with the game and with your club. Manchester City won the occasional title and cup, but were never a dominant power in English football. They suffered relegations and spent years in the wilderness, but their fans seemed to embrace the hardship with loyal home and away followings.

Now their status is elevated among the very elite clubs expected to win silverware, it is a feeling many of their old supporters don't seem totally comfortable with. It just isn't them and what their club has always been about. They were familiar with bouncing between Division Two and Division One with huge lower league crowds, winning promotions, sometimes getting one over Manchester United whilst being the firm underdog, but usually failing.

Now they are Sheikh Mansour's trainset and expected to win the title with a serious push for Champions League contention, it is an unfamiliar new boundary that many of their fans don't know what this new club identity is about. They never used to judge a season on the trophy haul, a transfer window by how many World cup stars they signed, or sack a manager for only finishing fourth in the top flight. That was something Manchester United and Liverpool did while they were happy enough finishing 15th and watching George Kinkladze.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the true hardcore fans of some thirty or forty years following the club did miss the old days, floating between the divisions, being good some seasons and rubbish others. Great and varied away trips up and down the country. That is what they bought into their club knowing they were, and fell in love with for life.

How do you explain that though when fans are brainwashed into believing the world revolves around winning the Champions League, or competing at the highest standard of football possible? That fans could actually quite miss those trips to Birmingham and Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bristol City. That playing Borussia Dortmund and having more World cup winning Germans in your team than they do isn't the club you obsessed about as a kid?

Almost all of the same would no doubt apply to Bournemouth, a small 3rd to 4th division level club experiencing an elevation in stature way beyond the club those supporters remember supporting for decades. Yes the standard of competition is higher, but supporting your football club can be about so much more than that.

I agree with this. Personally I’m happy to watch Argyle succeed and fail in equal measure. Enjoy the good times and hope for the best in the bad times.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Funny this thread, I remember in the championship days after being ripped off to see us at Leeds in that horrible corner with no space and allocated seating that you couldn't actually choose how I missed going to Crewe to my mate.

I agree it would be nice for Argyle to be in the premier league but after 6 or 7 seasons of doing a bournemouth or Burnley it would become boring I imagine
A bit like us if we get to the championship 6 or 7 years of finishing 5th or 6th bottom is no fun for anyone

Feb 21, 2011
Devongreenowl":2dtrdu4z said:
Sorry Nobby, not from where I sit. No pace and starts blowing quite quickly. Obviously if there are stats that disprove my view I would be happy to see them. It’s all about opinions. I dont rate George Cooper as highly as some either.
Disagree, I just think he's one of them that looks knackered even before he starts, great stamina probably not the quickest but doesn't play in an area where pace is the main consideration. Agree about Cooper to a point he is a great attacking player but unlike Carey doesn't do much defending much like Lamieres.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Where’s Sarcevic gone?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":gpe6omu6 said:
Allanon":gpe6omu6 said:
WoodsyGreen":gpe6omu6 said:

Well reasoned post, Knibbsworth.
You are, of course, referring to the older rather than younger generation of supporters but I am sure that I would relate to that if Argyle had had the success that Bournemouth have in recent times.
It would be good to experience it, though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Knibbsworth":zgit3dlv said:
Allanon":zgit3dlv said:
WoodsyGreen":zgit3dlv said:

Good post.
Although not directly the same as winning trophies our six seasons in the Championship showed a similar decline in interest, we lost nearly 3,000 fans from the average home attendance from the first season to the second season in the Championship.
Even when we flirted with the play-offs and eventually finishing in 10th place we only averaged 13,000 at home, to the point that this season we had a better average home attendance (even with the grandstand closed for a while) than we did in our last season in the Championship.

Argyle fans have been brought up with the club bumbling around higher League One to lower Championship and more recently in the bottom league, a promotion and relegation here and there.

That said, it would still be fantastic to actually reach the Premier League.

Aug 17, 2005
He was the player I thought would be the first to sign a contract this season. Things that he had said and done in the last couple of months and family happy here. Will we miss him well I dont think any player is irreplaceable and like I pointed out Jordan Rossiter been released by Rangers once touted the replacement for Gerrard.

Sep 3, 2009
Tugboat":14jni94k said:
Where’s Sarcevic gone?

Nowhere - at least not yet. Seems that people are putting the cart before the horse.

Surprised that people are so sanguine about the possibility of him leaving. He was superb in 19/20. Heartbeat of the team.

Aug 17, 2005
Rush Goalie":thzdk4yp said:
Tugboat":thzdk4yp said:
Where’s Sarcevic gone?

Nowhere - at least not yet. Seems that people are putting the cart before the horse.

Surprised that people are so sanguine about the possibility of him leaving. He was superb in 19/20. Heartbeat of the team.

Have no wish for him to leave but "if " Salford have offered him a contact say for two years which is a certainty whereas Ryan said on a blog a few weeks back that there are players he wants to keep but he cannot offer them anything with any certainty, can you blame him for considering the offer. They say he is happy down here well maybe he could be a player who moves in with family during the week and family stay in plymouth. Would make a change

Jul 14, 2008
Rush Goalie":rs3mn0yr said:
Tugboat":rs3mn0yr said:
Where’s Sarcevic gone?

Because we will be in league 1 next season, and as we saw previously, there is a clear step up in quality. I’d like Sarcevic to stay but I can’t see him playing a central role in a team that has aspirations to get promoted out of league 1.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There's probably some game playing going on but on Twitter tonight Sarcevic's agent congratulated him on winning Player of the Season and included a red heart (Salford?). Sarcevic replied and said 'exciting times ahead'.

Jun 27, 2019
Personally I think you're reading too much into that. It's just a heart, and Sarce's 'exciting times' could just mean League One.

ps. that's not to say I don't think he'll be off if Salford come calling.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I just wonder how much better his new offered contract is compared to his expired one. His Player of the Year Award was well timed in adding lustre to his quality skills he demonstrated last season. We must keep our fingers crossed he will be battling forward for us next season in Div One.

Jul 6, 2011
loyal1970":gvhf1ltp said:
you say Salford have the money but i am sure i heard that horrible man gary neville say they were skint the other day.

The combined ownership of Salford must be around a billion, Beckham alone has a net worth of about £350million.