Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16 | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16

Sep 6, 2006
I seriously think we could be looking at 1 year shutdown and they need to plan with that in mind. There are already serious concerns about next Winter with the virus still around and the usual peak in seasonal flu. Think I'll take up crack cocaine to get me through it.

Mar 29, 2020
Iā€™m not saying everything they say is bull***t just donā€™t believe everything you hear.... some people do believe whatever they hear on the news...I just donā€™t think you can predict anything more than 2 weeks ahead.. especially something in 8 months time.

Mar 29, 2020
Coronavirus will be like Flu it will always be in our society now....so we have to deal with it the best we can....sad but true.

Jul 6, 2005
Old Gunner":1jzp6wue said:
Kersie":1jzp6wue said:
Unless he has a large crystal ball,a lot of it is guess work.....We all hope what he says isnā€™t true.

Or he has access to scientists with considerable experience of battling epidemics globally and a wealth of historic information. I think I might just trust him on this one.
I think there is an understandable element of scepticism over the information we are being given because the views of different people have been contradictory throughout this crisis, particularly from the Politicians.

At times, it has felt as if they are making it up as they go, with the usual liberal use of statistics and BS to cover their shortcomings, such as the claim a couple of weeks back of the intention to carry out 100,000 tests per day, something which we are still nowhere near achieving.

If we are being led and advised by ā€œscientists with considerable experience of battling epidemics globally and a wealth of historic informationā€, how come we were so totally unprepared when they could see what was happening in China and elsewhere?

We never even had the ability to provide basic protection or testing for the most important people in all of this, our Health workers. Also, for the first couple weeks, social distancing was optional, not mandatory as it is now.

I think Chris Whitty is basically a good guy and someone who really is an expert. However, whilst I understand why he wants to dial down peopleā€™s expectations for when the restrictions will be lifted, I think his comments today were somewhat vague and lacking in specific detail and so will be interpreted differently, as we can see from the responses on this forum.

P

plymouthjoe

I know that this affects different people in different ways. I am concerned about the virus but I have seen my elderly neighbour in tears because she was frightened by what she keeps seeing on the news. My view is that we have to learn to live with this virus as we do with the annual flu virus. There is , on average, 17,000 deaths each Winter due to the flu virus (170,000 in 10 years, makes you think doesn't it) We do not lock the country down because of those deaths, we really ought to allow a few more places to open to keep the economy moving a little.

demportdave":346pcnee said:
Old Gunner":346pcnee said:
Kersie":346pcnee said:
Unless he has a large crystal ball,a lot of it is guess work.....We all hope what he says isnā€™t true.

Or he has access to scientists with considerable experience of battling epidemics globally and a wealth of historic information. I think I might just trust him on this one.
I think there is an understandable element of scepticism over the information we are being given because the views of different people have been contradictory throughout this crisis, particularly from the Politicians.

At times, it has felt as if they are making it up as they go, with the usual liberal use of statistics and BS to cover their shortcomings, such as the claim a couple of weeks back of the intention to carry out 100,000 tests per day, something which we are still nowhere near achieving.

If we are being led and advised by ā€œscientists with considerable experience of battling epidemics globally and a wealth of historic informationā€, how come we were so totally unprepared when they could see what was happening in China and elsewhere?

We never even had the ability to provide basic protection or testing for the most important people in all of this, our Health workers. Also, for the first couple weeks, social distancing was optional, not mandatory as it is now.

I think Chris Whitty is basically a good guy and someone who really is an expert. However, whilst I understand why he wants to dial down peopleā€™s expectations for when the restrictions will be lifted, I think his comments today were somewhat vague and lacking in specific detail and so will be interpreted differently, as we can see from the responses on this forum.

Your comment regarding politicians lies, I think, at the nub of the problem. Experience tells us that probably the worst people to manage anything are politicians. With honourable exceptions like Jeremy Hunt and Keir Starmer, who managed large organisations before their political life, many of most cabinets in all parties have little previous management experience, moving from university to political aide, then constituency MP before their big promotion. When they start failing, too often they obfuscate, avoid truths, and somehow think we donā€™t notice. Result? Lack of confidence in our elected leaders. Problem is, if we want to live in a democracy, itā€™s hard to think of an alternative.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Not so sure that Jeremy Hunt should be mentioned as an honourable exception. He was the longest serving health secretary in history and I find it quite interesting that he has had quite a bit to say about Covid and where the government has possibly gone wrong, bearing in mind it was on his watch that all the planning for this pandemic, which was predicted years ago by none other than Bill Gates, SHOULD have been taking place.

As for Keir Starmer - well heā€™s just replaced the most spectacular lightweight leader in Labour Party history. Anybody would look good in place of Corbyn.

The Doctor

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
demportdave":37pl4kvv said:

The thing is, almost none of those in power know anything at all about science or the scientific process and just because they SAY they are following 'the' science does not mean that they are. But if they had followed the recommendations of the major report produced a few years ago which identified a global pandemic as the number one threat to the country and listed what measures should be taken in preparation for it then we would almost certainly be in a much better place than we are now. Interestingly, people are holding up South Korea as a model for how to have responded, but what advice did they follow? Well, the UK report of course... you couldn't make it up.

Dreamgreen

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
mervyn":f8sqpy30 said:
demportdave":f8sqpy30 said:
Old Gunner":f8sqpy30 said:
Kersie":f8sqpy30 said:

Your comment regarding politicians lies, I think, at the nub of the problem. Experience tells us that probably the worst people to manage anything are politicians. With honourable exceptions like Jeremy Hunt and Keir Starmer, who managed large organisations before their political life, many of most cabinets in all parties have little previous management experience, moving from university to political aide, then constituency MP before their big promotion. When they start failing, too often they obfuscate, avoid truths, and somehow think we donā€™t notice. Result? Lack of confidence in our elected leaders. Problem is, if we want to live in a democracy, itā€™s hard to think of an alternative.

Keir Starmer ???? :wtf: This is the man who after 4 to 5 years couldn't make up his mind about Brexit ! Imagine how he may have dealt with a crisis which came (basically) from nowhere ! On balance I would rather not imagine it.

Dreamgreen":kf8crpk4 said:
mervyn":kf8crpk4 said:
demportdave":kf8crpk4 said:
Old Gunner":kf8crpk4 said:
Kersie":kf8crpk4 said:

Keir Starmer ???? :wtf: This is the man who after 4 to 5 years couldn't make up his mind about Brexit ! Imagine how he may have dealt with a crisis which came (basically) from nowhere ! On balance I would rather not imagine it.

You couldnā€™t be more wrong. He was consistently anti Brexit right from the off, and was arguably the most consistent and clear-headed of anyone at Westminster.

Jul 6, 2011
mervyn":2ozg51t6 said:
demportdave":2ozg51t6 said:
Old Gunner":2ozg51t6 said:
Kersie":2ozg51t6 said:

You couldn't have picked 2 dodgier characters than Hunt and especially Starmer :thumbdown: :crazy:

Keepitgreen

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":3vtqh9xd said:
Sorry I thought this was a FOOTBALL FORUM, my apologies.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Plenty of room for that (politics) on Terraces.