Serious Question (Paul Wotton) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Serious Question (Paul Wotton)

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
GreenArmy1984":4xq66tak said:
Unfair Thread this is

People need to get real
Were you there today Paul to see such an impressive defensive display?
I could just about understand if it was Lostwithiel FC (possibly the reserves too)
But this was Plymouth Argyle. Professionals don't you know!

Jan 27, 2012
Dan Ellard":35qekmsv said:
gaspargomez":35qekmsv said:
Its hard to point the blame at Wotton unless you are part of the club and properly understand his role.

I think the defensive problems come down to the quality of players signed in the summer. We tried to do it on the cheap with other club's rejects and it hasn't worked out. I've given up complaining about the playing budget on here as it seemed to upset the Brent worshippers, but you generally get what you pay for.
The point that we have constantly tried to make to you (and I am by no means a Brent worshipper) which you have failed to grasp time and time again is that you CAN be successful signing players on frees from the lower leagues. Do I really need to list the starting 11 that was p1ssing on this division last season yet again?! 7 of which were lower league rejects?

One more stat for you: the number of players in our excellent defence of last season that we paid a fee for? 0. The number of players in this season's defence that we paid a fee for? 1.

Oh how I wish you would do as you say and "give up talking about the playing budget".

Matthews = Championship player
Vyner= Championship player

And what a difference they made.

This year we paid peanuts and got monkeys. And on the subject of the budget, itā€™s been constantly raised by Adams and questioned in the Herald (see Danny Salmanā€™s column this week for example) so Iā€™m hardly the only one talking about it.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":2sh00be0 said:
Dan Ellard":2sh00be0 said:
gaspargomez":2sh00be0 said:
Its hard to point the blame at Wotton unless you are part of the club and properly understand his role.

I think the defensive problems come down to the quality of players signed in the summer. We tried to do it on the cheap with other club's rejects and it hasn't worked out. I've given up complaining about the playing budget on here as it seemed to upset the Brent worshippers, but you generally get what you pay for.
The point that we have constantly tried to make to you (and I am by no means a Brent worshipper) which you have failed to grasp time and time again is that you CAN be successful signing players on frees from the lower leagues. Do I really need to list the starting 11 that was p1ssing on this division last season yet again?! 7 of which were lower league rejects?

One more stat for you: the number of players in our excellent defence of last season that we paid a fee for? 0. The number of players in this season's defence that we paid a fee for? 1.

Oh how I wish you would do as you say and "give up talking about the playing budget".

This year we paid peanuts and got monkeys. And on the subject of the budget, itā€™s been constantly raised by Adams and questioned in the Herald (see Danny Salmanā€™s column this week for example) so Iā€™m hardly the only one talking about it.
By that logic...

Macey - Premier League player.
Smith-Brown - Premier League player.
O'Keefe - Premier League player.

Stop obsessing over what division we sign our players from, actually open yours eyes and see how well they fit into our team. That is what actually matters in the lower leagues.

May 1, 2011
gaspargomez":33kgdnc3 said:
Dan Ellard":33kgdnc3 said:
gaspargomez":33kgdnc3 said:

The budget only became an issue when it became apparent Adams has signed a lot of rubbish. In the summer he stated how he was happy with the budget and his signings.

Hallett and Dunford said on Thursday he does not have a bottom half budget.

Sep 6, 2006
Bristol Rich":l7l2axmp said:
GreenArmy1984":l7l2axmp said:
Unfair Thread this is

People need to get real

Conceed 3 at home in a shambolic defensive performance and you're telling other people to get real?

He wouldn't know. He only goes to HP for meetings to ask about the colour of shirts.

Apr 1, 2009
GreenArmy1984":1wbf4maj said:
Unfair Thread this is

People need to get real

Actually I think it's you who needs to get real.

Most of us (though probably not you) have spent the afternoon watching our defence concede awful goals to a very poor Bradford side. As a result there's a debate about the effectiveness of our defensive coach - why is that unfair?

You appear to love all sorts of things about Argyle - kits, fanfests, smoozing Argyle "personalities", fans forums, the Grandstand etc - and reflecting upon them with your uber-positive slogans and soundbites. The one thing that never seems to matter to you is results - perhaps a bit like someone else prominent at the club. I've no problem with how you get your enjoyment from Argyle, but please remember that for most of us the most important thing is the result. We are, after all, a football club.

Jan 27, 2012
Dan Ellard":o1wrybxi said:
Stop obsessing over what division we sign our players from, actually open yours eyes and see how well they fit into our team. That is what actually matters in the lower leagues.

Today I opened my eyes and saw a non-league standard defence.

It will cost money to sort out- plain and simple.

May 1, 2011
GreenArmy1984":u034hh8t said:
We have half the season to go ......

Remember last season anyone ?

Remember Argyle isnā€™t just for Xmas but for Life

Very true but it perfectly legitimate and sensible at this stage of the season to ask what the hell is going on.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Bristol Rich":wyx5ppma said:
GreenArmy1984":wyx5ppma said:

Very true but it perfectly legitimate and sensible at this stage of the season to ask what the hell is going on.
Last season isn't happening.

Aug 23, 2009
Southway
GreenArmy1984":3t3e83ii said:

Iā€™ve tried to look for the positives. Whilst appreciating youā€™re positive posts on here against the barrage of negative moaning and sarcastic sound bites from some in here. But today was inexcusable, simple as that. To concede in the way we did against the bottom side. We seemed to have no strategy at all.

Iā€™m still behind Adams and I think weā€™ll turn it around but itā€™ll need some recruitment in January.