Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Emeraldinho":2m3qbuk3 said:
Can’t see it myself. Wednesday would be taking a hell of a gamble going for Ryan who, let’s face it, has no experience of managing a club their size and is still on the (upward) managerial learning curve. One look at Stoke’s disastrous appointment of Nathan Jones last season highlights the risk involved. Pulis would almost certainly save their season and keep them up - maybe that’s their main aim at the moment? :think:

Just trying to remember which big club Frank Lampard or Scott Parker managed before Derby and Fulham respectively. I'm sure there’s plenty of others. I think Lowe would succeed at Wednesday, but the owner will probably go for someone out of work who can bring his staff straight in. Lowe is fifth in the betting at 10/1 so like I said last week, things might get squeaky on here for a while, unless of course Chansiri already had somebody lined up before firing Monk. We should know in the next day or two.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Given Wednesday's resources, I would have thought Pulis would be the man to save the club from relegation and up the table to a respectable position.

May 1, 2011
Devongreenowl":igdv05lq said:
mervyn":igdv05lq said:
My money’s on Pullis. Boring, attritional football, but guaranteed to keep them up.

No, please God no. Or at least only if as part of the contract he has to ditch his stupid cap and trackies.

The guy took an Argyle team looking dead set for relegation and made us a solid lower mid table Championship team and gave Holloway a great foundation to build on. He also signed Nalis, one of the best midfielders ever to play for Argyle.

Given his records at Stoke and Palace at this moment in time he is exactly what Wednesday need.

Fortunately Lowe is not what Wednesday need at the moment.

May 1, 2011
Quintrell_Green":8wuzqufe said:
Given Wednesday's resources, I would have thought Pulis would be the man to save the club from relegation and up the table to a respectable position.

Exactly, just like he did with Argyle.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Just had a look at Oddschecker and Paul Cook has drifted from odds on yesterday to 4/1 today but Tony Pulis has come in to 1/3...managerial post odds are notoriously volatile but someone will have put a decent amount on Mr Pulis to take over at Hillsborough. Our own fine young manager is a steady 18/1 best price. :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Pulis? :facepalm:

He is to football what I am to hairdressing.

His time has surely passed.

Oct 31, 2015
Devongreenowl":33acyo80 said:
mervyn":33acyo80 said:
My money’s on Pullis. Boring, attritional football, but guaranteed to keep them up.

No, please God no. Or at least only if as part of the contract he has to ditch his stupid cap and trackies.
I would think he is the ideal candidate tbh. Did very well for us when we looked nailed on for relegation.
Also bought in decent players. Lillian Nallis anyone.

In your position I would be over the moon if he came in.

Too early for RL yet although his stock rises weekly. I just hope he is central to the long term vision the club's management team have put together.

Jul 24, 2009
In fairness Pulis did a very good job when he was at Argyle. One of the most competent men to manage our club in my time, from the moment he walked through the door you knew he knew what he was doing. Did an excellent job at Stoke and Palace too. Not that the football was always the best but I would fancy him to keep Wednesday up this year and be top half next which in the bigger scheme of things must be what they are after.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Looking at where Wednesday are in the table with pretty much a quarter of the season gone, Pulis would be exactly what I would want if I were an Owls fan.

He inherited an incredibly leaky defence at Argyle and, within ten days, made us one of the most solid defences in the league.
If the opposition don´t score, you dont lose.

As someone else said, RL´s style is not the recipe for keeping them in the division. So a contract for the rest of the season for Pulis to keep them up would be my call if I was in charge of appointment up there.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Dreamgreen":qs5huhqr said:
Looking at where Wednesday are in the table with pretty much a quarter of the season gone, Pulis would be exactly what I would want if I were an Owls fan.

He inherited an incredibly leaky defence at Argyle and, within ten days, made us one of the most solid defences in the league.
If the opposition don´t score, you dont lose.

As someone else said, RL´s style is not the recipe for keeping them in the division. So a contract for the rest of the season for Pulis to keep them up would be my call if I was in charge of appointment up there.

Defensively we don’t have too much of a problem. It’s the lack of goals and borefest football under Monk which brought about his downfall. Hence anticipated meltdown if Pulis is named. Wednesday will stay up whoever takes over imo. Supporters brought up on Waddle, Francis, Hirst, Carbone, Di Canio, Forestieri etc want more than the rubbish that Pulis dishes up I’m afraid. The only way they could sugar coat that bitter pill slightly, would be if Megson was his assistant. Some still give him god-like status at Hillsborough.

Ryan Lowe would be a brave but popular choice, although not on here! I see his odds are now at 12-1.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Time for Wednesday fans to get real, wake up, smell the coffee and all that.

Lowe's next job should be a club who are heading on an upward trajectory, not one who thinks they are bigger and better than they actually are and who have been in decline for years.

In Wednesday's current predicament, avoiding relegation is the only issue or they will become another Sunderland.

They dont have the luxury of bringing in someone who will make they play like Brazil 1970 or Holland 1974. It has to be Warnock or Pulis, but with the former already in employement it has to be Pulis. Perhaps Paul Cook may also be an option but based on his track record, I'd go for Pulis.

Once he steadies the ship, stops them conceding so many crap goals, keeps them up and lays some foundations, they can then approach Klopp or Pep who will both leap at the chance to take over this sleeping giant of a club who should be playing Champions League football every season.