Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
Rarely i agree with Demport, but Wednesday fans suffering with ideas well above their station.

The "we are too good to go down lark" can you let me know how that worked out for Sunderland a few years ago?

Even allowing for their reduced penalty their record this season is identical to that of Rotherham, so lets not assume safety is a foregone conclusion. If i were an owl i'd want Pullis, because right now they are far closer League 1 than they are the premier league, even if their fans and board are in total denial to that fact.

I remember Pullisā€™s first game with us away at Southampton. It was the most boring 0-0 draw you will ever watch, yet his impact on our team was little short of sensational in the space of seven days. He turned a shambles of a team into a steady, cohesive unit, where everyone appeared to know there role.
OK, it was football by numbers, but totally transformational and did the job until Holloway arrived.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Don't know why we're even debating this topic.

I'm tempted to move it to the Football Forum.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Wednesday are defensively one of the better sides in terms of goals conceded. Itā€™s up at the other end thatā€™s the problem. Goals arenā€™t one of Pulisā€™ strengths. If it was Pulis Iā€™d back him, but like most Owls Iā€™d rather it wasnā€™t.

I think Argyle are safe in terms of the potential for losing Ryan Lowe as apparently our owner has been quoted as saying the new manager should have Championship experience. Most of us think though that he must have someone lined up as heā€™s fired Monk's entire staff, many of whom only joined in the summer!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Ponty":lhpc1hlo said:

Maybe because it potentially involves Ryan Lowe, who has twice made it clear how much he loves the club. Iā€™m surprised somebody hasnā€™t started moaning that the silence from Argyle is deafening.

Some fascinating numbers from GoS (league games only)

Lowe ā€“ best points per game of any permanent manager in our history (1.83 v 1.3 for Pulis, ranked 26)

Lowe ā€“ best win percentage of any permanent manager in our history (53.2% v 29.7% for Pulis, ranked 30)

Lowe ā€“ 2nd best loss percentage (after Sturrock 1st spell) of 23.4%. Pulis is 8th with 29.7%

Lowe has drawn 23.4% of his games, Pulis 40.5%. You may not be surprised to learn that Pulis has a higher drawn % than any other manager in our histoy)

Loweā€™s teams average 1.66 goals scored per game and concede 1.11

Pulisā€™s teams average 0.86 scored and 0.89 conceded.

Lowe has been with us for almost exactly double the number of days that Pulis was (524 v 264)

Sep 6, 2006
Bermudian Green":1ggxwvfn said:

Lowe ā€“ best points per game of any permanent manager in our history (1.83 v 1.3 for Pulis, ranked 26)

Lowe ā€“ best win percentage of any permanent manager in our history (53.2% v 29.7% for Pulis, ranked 30)

Lowe ā€“ 2nd best loss percentage (after Sturrock 1st spell) of 23.4%. Pulis is 8th with 29.7%

Lowe has drawn 23.4% of his games, Pulis 40.5%. You may not be surprised to learn that Pulis has a higher drawn % than any other manager in our histoy)

Lowe has been with us for almost exactly double the number of days that Pulis was (524 v 264)

Don't see the point of that. Pulis was managing in the Championship and inherited the shambles from Blobby.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":21sbjl1a said:
Ponty":21sbjl1a said:

Maybe because it potentially involves Ryan Lowe, who has twice made it clear how much he loves the club. Iā€™m surprised somebody hasnā€™t started moaning that the silence from Argyle is deafening.

Potentially...

Otherwise a bore fest about a grim Yorkshire club in freefall.

Jul 24, 2009
Bermudian Green":bb2urhv3 said:

Maybe an example of where you can only tell so much from statistics especially ones not weighted to division. I am a huge fan of Ryan Lowe and am more than happy he's in charge now (and not Pulis) but in fairness most of his games were in league 2 and Pulis was in charge of Argyle in the championship. Indeed he took over a team struggling badly midseason and kept us up comfortably.

On the basis of win percentages alone Derek Adams and Bobby Moncur were better managers than Tony Waiters, and Adams was on a par with Dave Smith? When reality will surely tell you Waiters & Smith as promotion winners from the third tier were a class apart.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Ponty":2tnq2z1k said:
Devongreenowl":2tnq2z1k said:
Ponty":2tnq2z1k said:

Potentially...

Oh dearā€¦ā€¦

Jan 27, 2012
Lowe has benefitted from managing a well funded team in League Two- thats one reason why he has been successful and has such impressive statistics. Managers of yesteryear like Mick Jones or Peter Reid never had much of a chance because the club had no money then.

What Iā€™d say for Pulis is that he was probably the one person who could have saved Argyle that season. We were very easy pickings in the Championship and Pulis completely turned around an Argyle team that were almost certainly heading for relegation. The football was dire, but he had a plan and knew exactly what he was doing. I like Lowe, but I dont think he could have achieved what Pulis did that season.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
mervyn":3timq0xe said:
I remember Pullisā€™s first game with us away at Southampton. It was the most boring 0-0 draw you will ever watch, yet his impact on our team was little short of sensational in the space of seven days. He turned a shambles of a team into a steady, cohesive unit, where everyone appeared to know there role.
OK, it was football by numbers, but totally transformational and did the job until Holloway arrived.
Point of order Sir, PuIis only had 2 training sessions but we already looked a different team and well worth the draw. We really were transformed from a shambles into a tight team unit, with the players knowing their job.

It was my first visit to St Mary's and it was the most satisfying 0-0 I can ever remember.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":2y9v1xmj said:
Ponty":2y9v1xmj said:
Devongreenowl":2y9v1xmj said:
Ponty":2y9v1xmj said:

Potentially...

Oh dearā€¦ā€¦

You just got yourself Pulis...

Aug 4, 2011
Army green":37f0gwzw said:
Sounds like a perfect job for Neil Warnock to me.
I think the chances of Warnock 1) taking the Wednesday job and 2) being accepted by the Wednesday fan base as slim and none