Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheffield Weds job available - expect Lowe to be linked

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pulis is good at working with what he has to get results. I don't remember much about his time at Argyle but by the sound of things, one-nils and goal less draws were an improvement.

When he came to Palace he got the team playing to a style that fit to the players that he inherited. He isn't liked amongst Palace fans because he walked away two days before the new season was due to start leaving us very much in the lurch, but he remains our most prolific manager ever in the Premier League with a win rate of over 42% and 1.46 points per game. Way ahead of anyone else.

West Norwood Green

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 3, 2004
One of the greatest truisms is that you forget what you did, you forget what you said but you never forget how you felt. I remember very little about the Pulis era, results, players, style all a faded memory but I remember as clear as day the feeling of elation when I heard he was leaving.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
My most painful memory of the Pulis era was being at Wolves in the cup, the third round I think, being 1 nil down with 20 minutes to play or so and our manager clearly not attempting in any way to try to rescue the tie by forcing a replay.

Great at steadying the ship, but for the medium/long term, no thanks, even if 'success' comes with it. :thumbdown:

Jun 27, 2019
Someone within the club at the time told me that the main reason Pulis didn't want to stick around at Argyle was because he found it too difficult to convince players to come down to Devon.

His football may have been dire, but two seasons after leaving us he got Stoke promoted to the Premier League.

Oh what could have been (and you can say the same about Holloway).

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
After reading all these diverse views on one of English football's most divisive managers (much like Colin tbf), I like many Owls will feel disappointed or more accurately, devastated if he gets the job. Chansiri said recently he appointed Steve Bruce despite not liking his football style. Pulis makes Bruce look almost like Klopp imo. So I live in hope that Chansiri will appoint a manager with more football style. If it has to be Mr Adidas, so be it. :yawn:

Aug 5, 2016
oddball":1zlqs1xg said:
A lot of guys here do Pullis a complete injustice..... it has become a Pasoti FACT that his teams played binary football which is totally wrong...I saw a lot of games both home and away and I well remember a fantastic win at Cardiff with some great attacking football.....plus he had a good eye for a signing what with Elliot Ward....who Argyle should have signed permanently....there you go...never got the boards backing .....

I don't have anything against Tony Pulis. You cannot argue his football isn't effective, and he did a good rescue job on us chiselling away the rotten wood and leaving good foundations for the incoming Holloway.

But I don't remember these spells of attacking football. The bloke regularly used to keep Akos Buzsaky on the bench but start Nick Chadwick. Arguably our most creative, naturally gifted player of the last 30 years benched for a lower league level player out of position.

TP's rigid tactics call for physicality and positional discipline, which are perhaps the only departments Chadwick could be ever considered a more worthy option in midfield than Buzsaky. A player who left us and went on to star in the Premier League, a player superior in ability to Chadwick in almost every way.

That decision kind of sums up Pulis's time at Argyle, basic but effective football; style, ability and skill secondary to discipline.

As for Elliott Ward, who is to say we could have realistically afforded him? We loaned him from West Ham in the Premier League, then he moved to Coventry for £1m, and then won promotion to the Premier League with Norwich after that. That is three bigger clubs that could afford to pay him more than we could. The fact he won promotion with Norwich demonstrates his status as one of the best central defenders in the Championship in his prime.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Knibbsworth":292brmar said:
oddball":292brmar said:
A lot of guys here do Pullis a complete injustice..... it has become a Pasoti FACT that his teams played binary football which is totally wrong...I saw a lot of games both home and away and I well remember a fantastic win at Cardiff with some great attacking football.....plus he had a good eye for a signing what with Elliot Ward....who Argyle should have signed permanently....there you go...never got the boards backing .....

I don't have anything against Tony Pulis. You cannot argue his football isn't effective, and he did a good rescue job on us chiselling away the rotten wood and leaving good foundations for the incoming Holloway.

But I don't remember these spells of attacking football. The bloke regularly used to keep Akos Buzsaky on the bench but start Nick Chadwick. Arguably our most creative, naturally gifted player of the last 30 years benched for a lower league level player out of position.

TP's rigid tactics call for physicality and positional discipline, which are perhaps the only departments Chadwick could be ever considered a more worthy option in midfield than Buzsaky. A player who left us and went on to star in the Premier League, a player superior in ability to Chadwick in almost every way.

That decision kind of sums up Pulis's time at Argyle, basic but effective football; style, ability and skill secondary to discipline.

As for Elliott Ward, who is to say we could have realistically afforded him? We loaned him from West Ham in the Premier League, then he moved to Coventry for £1m, and then won promotion to the Premier League with Norwich after that. That is three bigger clubs that could afford to pay him more than we could. The fact he won promotion with Norwich demonstrates his status as one of the best central defenders in the Championship in his prime.

He also played trigger in that withdrawn position a couple of times to bolster the midfield :crazy: Let's just say he didn't enjoy it.

Having said that, he was a perfect appointment at the time, credit to Phill Gill for that.

Jan 11, 2009
What would Lowe offer Wednesday that Gary Monk couldn't considering Monk has managed at a very high level in Swansea, Leeds and Wednsday and others.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Alan-Frost":2prbarf9 said:
What would Lowe offer Wednesday that Gary Monk couldn't considering Monk has managed at a very high level in Swansea, Leeds and Wednsday and others.

Better standard of football, passion, man management, connection with fans. Need I carry on? Everything you’ve seen at Argyle! Not sure he’s ready yet though.

Sep 6, 2006
Not sure Lowe would be interested in a role with much less job security. Would Sheff. W want to pay the compensation also?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think that’s the two biggest questions.

I would have thought ‘no’ and ‘no’, but stranger things have happened. This is football we’re talking about.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Apart from saving us from the drop,one thing that stays in my mind is,in trigger's final game pulis subbed him with about ten mins remaining so that we all could give trigger the ovation that he deserved,i assume that pulis did it intentionally for the reaction that followed,wonderful.

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":bv1js6h0 said:
Alan-Frost":bv1js6h0 said:

Better standard of football, passion, man management, connection with fans. Need I carry on? Everything you’ve seen at Argyle! Not sure he’s ready yet though.

Is it such a better standard worth uprooting for? You are 23rd in the table, below Wycombe, Rotherham, Barnsley and Luton. Less than 10 places in the pyramid separate our teams, which is less than half a standard league table.

Almost everyone at Plymouth Argyle was appointed by Lowe. The team and coaching structure is now almost all his creation.

We will have to see (if he is approached) if he wants to walk into an alien dressìng room and have to start from scratch.

I think he knows his star is rising and his team here is a fantastic work in motion. The way we are playing, the options in the squad he has built, it really wouldn't surprise me if we get back to back promotions. If not this season, it seems like the way we are headed.

Two other factors to consider is the strength of his affinity for Sheffield Wednesday, and his desire to return to the northwest. But will those thoughts override the fantastic work he has put into Argyle in the last two seasons, the networks, the coaching structure he has put immense thought and effort into?

With no disrespect to Sheffield Wednesday, I am not sure if their star is as bright as some of the clubs which may come calling in 12 months time.