Stupid Argyle? (re Michael Cooper loan) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stupid Argyle? (re Michael Cooper loan)

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I commented in the summer that it would be a mistake to throw this young lad straight into a promotion winning side. We are not strong defensively to be fair to him, but the keeper is always going to be under a lot of pressure and if he wasn’t deemed ready for L2 last season, how is he ready for L1 this?

Once it became clear that Palmer wasn’t coming back, we should have sent Cooper out on loan to a L2 club or even national league and brought in a young keeper with some experience, with Mccormick on the bench.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
When some talk about knocking the confidence of our own keeper, one brought up in Argyle presumably to play for Argyle why talk about loaning him out? The one sure way of knocking his confidence is to send him away again when he himself would have wanted a shot last season.
No, keep him in the side because every so often a side will have a nightmare game and the keeper will be exposed. That’s the nature of the sport and something we see time and time again with keepers more experienced than Cooper. He’ll gain from this and well done for some strong takes against a big frontline from Fleetwood.

But please, get him some proper goalkeeping gloves, when I see him in those black gloves it makes me feel he’s down a bit of professional paint stripping with nitromors.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tony_Flags":15pfse56 said:
I love Argyle fans. He came from our development squad, he must be cr@p.

Not the best game of his short career yesterday, but the result was hardly his fault. He made some great saves to keep the score down.

Yesterday was complete nativity from Lowe in team selection and complacency/inexperience of our midfield.

It happened. Move on.

Well done Argyle for establishing a youth system.

Nativity ? Merry Christmas :lol:

D

Darren Stoneman

I posted at the beginning of the season that this was brave and that we would all need to stand behind Cooper, especially if he has a poor spel

I was surprised that we did not go back for Palmer, however I am much less qualified to say that Cooper was ready or not

He will learn, he will get stronger and part season a thumping by Exeter led to a drive for promotion

Remember Fleetwood had internationals in their team and some how manage to afford them?

But is it a blip to n a tough season against a good team

#bekind

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Reading some of the posts, it's like he's been throwing goals in every game.

To me, he's been at least 7/10 (as have we as a team) behind a pretty open and new defence.

His distribution and shot stopping in particular are really good, and certainly he's light years better than a certain Arsenal loanee, with bags of room to get much better with every game.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
Don't wanna criticise him too much but i feel he should have done much better for that second goal and maybe the third. For me he doesn't get down quick enough for low shots, and the higher ones in the air i feel like he could do much better with. Im afraid to say Cooper is out of his depths at this level, i would put McCormick in from the next game regardless of his age he has shown he can play at all 3 levels.

Apr 27, 2019
I just don’t understand this blame culture on our young keeper who has loads of potential and could have perhaps done better on the second goal but the rest were all defensive errors-he has kept us in many games with some super saves and what can you do when we have a very inconsistent and error prone backline-give him encouragement he is 20 and still learning and potentially earn the club money when he eventually moves higher up the leagues.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This is the danger with being a very young player, or a very old player.

Make a mistake as a youngster and people will say you’re too inexperienced, make a mistake as an old player and people say you’re past it. The reality is often that players just make mistakes.

Why on EARTH would we replace him with Luke, when we’re 10th in the league, he’s generally done very well, and he’s learning with every game?

Aug 11, 2013
If Lowe is consistent in dropping players who’ve had poor games then Luke plays Tuesday. Or do you make an exception?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Personally I would at least consider putting Luke in for a couple of games, not because Cooper has been poor, he's been a 6/7 out of 10 for the season so far in my eyes, however more to protect him from the line of fire. He's under a lot pressure in his first full season and sometimes younger players need to be taken out to settle a bit. It all comes down to man management really, would Cooper benefit more from a rest now? Or would he benefit more from staying in the side and playing on? That's something only he and Ryan Lowe will know, and whichever decision is made will be the right one. I'd also have no problem with trusting Luke to hold the fort for a couple of games, that's why he's been brought in, we wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't up to L1 football, he played 15 times last season for the L2 title winners and reportedly performed very well. We'll see.

Jul 12, 2016
arrythewurzel":q03pcexd said:
If Lowe is consistent in dropping players who’ve had poor games then Luke plays Tuesday. Or do you make an exception?
He already makes an exception for Mayor.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":1x2v42xw said:
arrythewurzel":1x2v42xw said:
He already makes an exception for Mayor.

He doesn't though. Mayor, even when not at his best, is normally still average-good, it's extremely rare that Mayor has a poor game. There's no indication to drop him.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":1664merg said:
Personally I would at least consider putting Luke in for a couple of games, not because Cooper has been poor, he's been a 6/7 out of 10 for the season so far in my eyes, however more to protect him from the line of fire. He's under a lot pressure in his first full season and sometimes younger players need to be taken out to settle a bit. It all comes down to man management really, would Cooper benefit more from a rest now? Or would he benefit more from staying in the side and playing on? That's something only he and Ryan Lowe will know, and whichever decision is made will be the right one. I'd also have no problem with trusting Luke to hold the fort for a couple of games, that's why he's been brought in, we wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't up to L1 football, he played 15 times last season for the L2 title winners and reportedly performed very well. We'll see.
I'll give you two good reasons why Cooper should remain in goal McCormick is past his sell by date and this is league 1 not 2!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":1tltz6ny said:
Cobi Budge":1tltz6ny said:
I'll give you two good reasons why Cooper should remain in goal McCormick is past his sell by date and this is league 1 not 2!

By that logic every player who played for us in League 2 last season shouldn't be playing for us this season.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":2by0exr9 said:
oldage":2by0exr9 said:
Cobi Budge":2by0exr9 said:

By that logic every player who played for us in League 2 last season shouldn't be playing for us this season.

At last we are getting there! How many of last seasons players are good enough to play in league 1on a regular basis?