Stupid Argyle? (re Michael Cooper loan) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stupid Argyle? (re Michael Cooper loan)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":182qxlkc said:
oldage":182qxlkc said:
arrythewurzel":182qxlkc said:
If Lowe is consistent in dropping players who’ve had poor games then Luke plays Tuesday. Or do you make an exception?
He already makes an exception for Mayor.

He doesn't though. Mayor, even when not at his best, is normally still average-good, it's extremely rare that Mayor has a poor game. There's no indication to drop him.

You're right, but I wouldn't bother. The bloke is on a wind up and feels the need to baselessly suggest Mayor needs dropping. Quite where any element of creativity would come from with him out is anyone's guess.
Even yesterday, anyone suggesting Mayor wasn't the best of a very poor Argyle midfield either doesn't understand football or has developed an irrational pathological dislike of Mayor. The opposition understand it, which is why they often put two players on him.
In any case its the first time I've felt the need to employ the 'ignore' function on this site. I feel like I could have a more sensible conversation discussing art history with my cat.

Jun 27, 2019
No knee-jerking here. I've said since the start of the season that I don't think he's ready to be a No.1 at League One level and I wouldn't hammer him for yesterday on that basis. Mistakes are going to happen.

He reminds me a bit of James Dungey, who always looked a bit on the small side in goal and never really commanded his area like a potential top keeper would. I wanted him to make it too as one of our own but it didn't happen because he didn't quite have the all-round package.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
arrythewurzel":3tksvbxd said:
If Lowe is consistent in dropping players who’ve had poor games then Luke plays Tuesday. Or do you make an exception?

Doing that for outfield players and goalkeepers, are different kettles of fish. Especially when everyone has said Cooper will be number one and is expected to make mistakes.

Dropping him when he makes a (pretty minor) mistake doesn’t make much sense, with that in mind.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
WoodsyGreen":2a862i9l said:
No knee-jerking here. I've said since the start of the season that I don't think he's ready to be a No.1 at League One level and I wouldn't hammer him for yesterday on that basis. Mistakes are going to happen.

He reminds me a bit of James Dungey, who always looked a bit on the small side in goal and never really commanded his area like a potential top keeper would. I wanted him to make it too as one of our own but it didn't happen because he didn't quite have the all-round package.

Agree.

Stick Luke in from Tuesday on my opinion. Its not all about shot stopping, luke is VERY vocal on the field and will organise every player on the field!

Cooper will do well in the future but i think he needs a break on the bench to be fair. Luke has league two, one, and championship experience dont forget so is more than capable. Forget his age, keepers can play until their early 40's ! Lukes still super fit and more than capable.

Sep 6, 2006
arrythewurzel":2xs81ov9 said:

So what did Cooper do so poorly yesterday? Are you proposing dropping the other 15 who played badly also?

Jul 12, 2016
up_the_line":33ycr8nn said:
Cobi Budge":33ycr8nn said:
oldage":33ycr8nn said:
arrythewurzel":33ycr8nn said:
He already makes an exception for Mayor.

He doesn't though. Mayor, even when not at his best, is normally still average-good, it's extremely rare that Mayor has a poor game. There's no indication to drop him.

You're right, but I wouldn't bother. The bloke is on a wind up and feels the need to baselessly suggest Mayor needs dropping. Quite where any element of creativity would come from with him out is anyone's guess.
Even yesterday, anyone suggesting Mayor wasn't the best of a very poor Argyle midfield either doesn't understand football or has developed an irrational pathological dislike of Mayor. The opposition understand it, which is why they often put two players on him.
In any case its the first time I've felt the need to employ the 'ignore' function on this site. I feel like I could have a more sensible conversation discussing art history with my cat.
Mister know it all. Poor cat!

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":15w716re said:

Cooper IS our No 1 keeper.Get used to it and support him.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Still a young keeper and learning, probably a season too early to be number one, but time will tell. What we miss most is having a players that get stuck in hard, have a go type of players. We had one last season in Sarcevic, could do with someone like him.

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
Some managers keep the same team for the next game after being mauled, so subject to injuries it will be interesting to see the selection for Tuesday. The way i look at it is we have a very young defence and yesterday was a steep learning curve, it is still very early days in this league so i wouldn't be pushing panic buttons yet, after all we are not cut adrift at the bottom, so
Tuesday's message to the players is get out there and prove to me that Saturday was a blip,
Pete

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":2v3z62j2 said:
WoodsyGreen":2v3z62j2 said:

1. I know he is.
2. I am used to it.
3. Posting an opinion on an internet messageboard does not equate to a lack of support. Surely as our resident negative ninny you can see that?!

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":13947c0l said:
oldage":13947c0l said:
WoodsyGreen":13947c0l said:

1. I know he is.
2. I am used to it.
3. Posting an opinion on an internet messageboard does not equate to a lack of support. Surely as our resident negative ninny you can see that?!
At last you get it! Posting an opinion does not equate to a lack of support!!!!! so why the insult?

Jun 27, 2019
Um, pretty sure I've never said posting an opinion counts as a lack of support. I'll await proof of where I have, though, and I'll gladly hold my hands up if you can dig it out.

As for the insult, I guess in these hyper-sensitive days 'negative ninny' does count as an insult so I humbly apologise for that, oldage.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
:lol: :lol:

That's why i rarely use forums. It is a forum where you post your own opinions but sometimes it can get the better of some other forum posters.

Jul 3, 2013
Anybody picking out individuals after the Fleetwood performance are pretty fudged up to be fair. The whole 16 players are to blame not any one single player.

Sep 22, 2020
it has been evident for several weeks that cooper makes several good saves a game and is good with his feet/distribution. he looks technically good as you would expect from a modern academy coached player.

But critically he lacks the physical presence and experience to be commanding in his area to impose himself on teammates and crosses/corners etc. Not his fault. just a fact. This has cost us goals that should have been avoided.

it is great that he came up through the academy but when compared with Palmer for example there is only one winner.