Team for Saturday | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team for Saturday

Aug 17, 2005
davie nine":1dgf1goq said:
Reeves has played at full back before and, with a decent left foot, he could fill the LWB role.
I suggested trying this in the nothing to play for cup matches with Cooper in front as rhey are both left footed and mayor going on the right hand side. Dont know how it would turn out but just considered it worth a try as it appears more balanced

Mar 24, 2019
Balham_Green":t4n62xly said:
doozer":t4n62xly said:
oldage":t4n62xly said:
doozer":t4n62xly said:
No chance of Lowe changing formation..why would he? This formation and philosophy has won him back to back promotions....I think it will take more than two very bad performances to rip it up and start again .. and rightly so
Let's qualify your comments .He won promotion with Bury and again with us by default. He is now managing at a higher level and has proved nothing yet. We are 15th 6 points from the playoffs and 6 points from relegation. As well as two very bad performances we have had a quite few bad performances away from home.
Ok promotion with bury and had us 3rd and in great form with 9 games to go ...I think itā€™s fair to say that his short managerial career has been fairly successful so far ....15 th as a newly promoted team is a respectable start...i can tell your not a big fan of lowes and although Iā€™m very happy heā€™s our manager , I agree he still has a lot to prove...my point is why would he change formation/ philosophy when on the whole itā€™s been very successful?

That's the danger though isn't it? Complacency. Also its actually 3 very poor performances. Many seem to have conveniently forgot Peterborough where we didn't create one single chance.
If this run goes on for another 3 or 4 games , then Iā€™d agree he d need to have a re- think...heā€™s spent 18 months drilling the players( including the youth players) on this formation/philosophy, and to abandon that after a couple of heavy defeats, would ( in my opinion) be a mistake

Jul 12, 2016
doozer":33hsvq30 said:
Balham_Green":33hsvq30 said:
oldage":33hsvq30 said:
No chance of Lowe changing formation..why would he? This formation and philosophy has won him back to back promotions....I think it will take more than two very bad performances to rip it up and start again .. and rightly so
Let's qualify your comments .He won promotion with Bury and again with us by default. He is now managing at a higher level and has proved nothing yet. We are 15th 6 points from the playoffs and 6 points from relegation. As well as two very bad performances we have had a quite few bad performances away from home.
Ok promotion with bury and had us 3rd and in great form with 9 games to go ...I think itā€™s fair to say that his short managerial career has been fairly successful so far ....15 th as a newly promoted team is a respectable start...i can tell your not a big fan of lowes and although Iā€™m very happy heā€™s our manager , I agree he still has a lot to prove...my point is why would he change formation/ philosophy when on the whole itā€™s been very successful?

That's the danger though isn't it? Complacency. Also its actually 3 very poor performances. Many seem to have conveniently forgot Peterborough where we didn't create one single chance.
If this run goes on for another 3 or 4 games , then Iā€™d agree he d need to have a re- think...heā€™s spent 18 months drilling the players( including the youth players) on this formation/philosophy, and to abandon that after a couple of heavy defeats, would ( in my opinion) be a mistake
RL and his backroom staff have spent 18 months drilling the players on this formation because these are the only tactics they know. In addition he has reportedly only signed players who will fit in with this ideal .He naively thinks we are the "Liverpool"of league 1. Imagine the confusion now if he tries to get these players to change?

Mar 24, 2019
oldage":911tsbv1 said:
doozer":911tsbv1 said:
Balham_Green":911tsbv1 said:
oldage":911tsbv1 said:

RL and his backroom staff have spent 18 months drilling the players on this formation because these are the only tactics they know. In addition he has reportedly only signed players who will fit in with this ideal .He naively thinks we are the "Liverpool"of league 1. Imagine the confusion now if he tries to get these players to change?
Would you agree that so far itā€™s been pretty successful?...where do you expect us to be sat in the league, top 6?

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
On the subject of "conveniently forgetting" we seem to have a few people who just want to strike the performances v Charlton and Lincoln from the record as they were FA Cup games.
Whilst i am far more interested in our league position - its wrong to forget the performances - both of which were very good.

So if you insist on balance - maybe reflect on those games too.

Sep 6, 2006
Voice_of_Reason":17ruw1b8 said:
On the subject of "conveniently forgetting" we seem to have a few people who just want to strike the performances v Charlton and Lincoln from the record as they were FA Cup games.
Whilst i am far more interested in our league position - its wrong to forget the performances - both of which were very good.

Against Charlton reserves you mean? And the first half v Lincoln was 'very good' was it?! :lol: :crazy:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":4qu2ix4j said:
Voice_of_Reason":4qu2ix4j said:

Against Charlton reserves you mean? And the first half v Lincoln was 'very good' was it?! :lol: :crazy:
Both teams were 3rd in League 1 at the time of us playing them. Lincoln played a strong side and whilst we didn't create a bucketload of chances, we completely negated them at the other end (with Mike Cooper, Wootton and Canavan all playing too, who would've thought).

Charlton did make some changes, but their front 3 of Aneke, Maddison and Williams are probably on more money than our entire team combined.

In actual competitions, we've won 8 games this season and lost 6. So why is everyone acting like we've been a complete shambles the entire time? Recency bias?

Jul 12, 2016
No chance of Lowe changing formation..why would he? This formation and philosophy has won him back to back promotions....I think it will take more than two very bad performances to rip it up and start again .. and rightly so[/quote]
Let's qualify your comments .He won promotion with Bury and again with us by default. He is now managing at a higher level and has proved nothing yet. We are 15th 6 points from the playoffs and 6 points from relegation. As well as two very bad performances we have had a quite few bad performances away from home.[/quote]
Ok promotion with bury and had us 3rd and in great form with 9 games to go ...I think itā€™s fair to say that his short managerial career has been fairly successful so far ....15 th as a newly promoted team is a respectable start...i can tell your not a big fan of lowes and although Iā€™m very happy heā€™s our manager , I agree he still has a lot to prove...my point is why would he change formation/ philosophy when on the whole itā€™s been very successful?[/quote]

That's the danger though isn't it? Complacency. Also its actually 3 very poor performances. Many seem to have conveniently forgot Peterborough where we didn't create one single chance.[/quote]
If this run goes on for another 3 or 4 games , then Iā€™d agree he d need to have a re- think...heā€™s spent 18 months drilling the players( including the youth players) on this formation/philosophy, and to abandon that after a couple of heavy defeats, would ( in my opinion) be a mistake[/quote][/quote]
Would you agree that so far itā€™s been pretty successful?...where do you expect us to be sat in the league, top 6?
I agree that he has been fairly successful but I am not convinced by his management style. Just to emphasise this point Lowe has reported how the team talk went following Tuesday's performance. He comes across as one of the boys rather than the man in charge and praise and smiles all round is hardly the treatment these players deserved. His demeanour reflects that of the team ,far too easy going and lacks the toughness required when up against it.

Feb 8, 2005
You are very much a supporter of the "old time" football, Oldage.

The carrot and the whip were used in the past, but the modern way of getting the best out of a group of players is to treat them as adults.

Respect has to be earned, not thrust on the players, as in the past.

Explanations of what is required, why it is required, and of re-showing the game with the focus on what has gone wrong and of players owning up to their mistakes is now the way.

Big difference from being "one of the boys" as you put it.

The days of throwing things at the players in the changing room has gone. Rationalisation and discussion have taken over. Common sense prevails these days, there can be no bullying as in the past.

Jul 12, 2016
jimsing":3a6s1cac said:

The carrot and the whip were used in the past, but the modern way of getting the best out of a group of players is to treat them as adults.

Explanations of what is required, why it is required, and of re-showing the game with the focus on what has gone wrong and of players owning up to their mistakes is now the way.

The days of throwing things at the players in the changing room has gone. Rationalisation and discussion have taken over. Common sense prevails these days, there can be no bullying as in the past.
Hence the reason this lot don't have a backbone. I am not advocating bullying as you call it in any shape or form but yet more evidence of the namby- pamby society we live in.
These players are thinking whatever happens we are all going to sit down ,smile nicely ,get a pat on the back from the gaffer and told not to do it again.Certainly worked after the Fleetwood game!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
There is a big piece of editorial in today's Times following an interview with Allegri [?] the former successful manager of
Juventus. His management philosophy is that under pressure as a coach you should never create anxiety in his team players.
I say this in response to the some of the 'stick' school of management being advocated on here.

Sep 2, 2008
There are too many in the current squad that dont mind losing. I would have real trouble counting the ones that I think hate losing on one hand. Unfortunately that is not enough for this team to be a real threat in this league.

Returnofthepob

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
oldage":2oc7g42i said:
jimsing":2oc7g42i said:

Hence the reason this lot don't have a backbone. I am not advocating bullying as you call it in any shape or form but yet more evidence of the namby- pamby society we live in.
These players are thinking whatever happens we are all going to sit down ,smile nicely ,get a pat on the back from the gaffer and told not to do it again.Certainly worked after the Fleetwood game!

Sep 2, 2008
jimsing":21jmt9ap said:

Its not a case of using this as far as I am concerned. Its about showing a bit of desire when you play the game. Lowe doesn't seem to have any passion in the way he manages. Rationalisation and discussion is not going to put fire in the belly of a player. If the only 'punishment' a player experiences is being benched then I'll wager the majority of todays players wouldn't give a monkeys about that happening....after all, they are still going to get paid. He needs to show them that he is pi**ed off and he isn't going to do that by sitting them down to have a chat and asking them what they think went wrong. After the Rochdale dƩbacle he 'punished' them by not letting them have the next day off which is apparently the norm. So the poor lads came in and they sat in a warm room and watched a video of the game and then they all had a chat. Whoopy f*%$ing do. They should have been out on the park, in the cold and having their lungs busting doing shuttles. They should learn that if you don't put in any effort on a game day then you will be putting effort in on the very next day. That isn't 'carrot and whip'. Thats bringing focus to how sh*t they played the day/night before.

Nov 2, 2004
Looking forward to attending today and I hope to see the following line up.

Cooper
Aimson Opoku Watts
Fornah
Edwards Camara Mayor Reeves
Jephcott Hardie

I think these are our best players, if prepared to accept that he struggles to defend possibly Cooper at wingback . :scarf: come on Argyle.