The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Princerock":2tyz4aic said:
..a shed with ice has been mentioned.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Yet again, another quote directly out of context.

He said, that compared to the complexity of the grandstand build 'the ice rink is simply a shed'.

Tell me PR, why people like you bother with such comments?

When I met you, you boasted that you hadn't been to Home Park for 30 years and you loved living in the South East!!

If you're going to join in with an adult debate, then debate in an adult manner.

Aug 3, 2017
There will always be things Brent can be criticised for. As far as I see it, anyone in any job can be criticised. Anyone doing a good job can still do better. However, what is the overall effect of what he has done whilst being the clubs chief custodian? Like many others I would say itā€™s been highly positive and pragmatic. Therefore I do not understand the span and level of criticism (in some cases abuse) he receives, and so readily.

He has said himself, there are things he didnā€™t know and learned quickly. That will be the case for every chairman at every sporting club since time immemorial. From the most experienced to the least.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
JB is very approachable and always gives his time to chat to fans on match days, there's also the Fans' Forums and Q & A sessions on Pasoti and the club website. We've never had as much access to the chairman of PAFC as we do now.

So those fans with concerns or questions should use those opportunities to speak to him.
He's not the evil and nasty character portrayed on Free Chat, far from it!

The chairmen of football clubs always get criticised by some sections of the fan base, that's par for the course, but the unmoderated nasty abuse and insults aimed at JB on Free Chat is on a different level and unwarranted.

Dec 13, 2004
Ruddlemoor
IJN":1n9f07hy said:
Ruddlemoor Green":1n9f07hy said:
I think people's issues revolve around the fact we had nearly Ā£1m of unbudgeted income from the Liverpool f.a cup games and we were told this would be invested in players it didn't seem to happen..

SOME people Ruddlemoor. Just a few. Some of the plans long term for this club will knock most (not all for obvious reasons) fans eyes out. It's hard to understand for some in these days of Social Media and the 'I demand to know" brigade, that some things have to be taken slowly and all the balls lined up before any announcements can be made.

I'd also add, I can distinctly remember someone saying (it may have been Simon Hallett) that the money would NOT be used on players but on the infrastructure. So again, internet fact and the actual fact seem to be at odds here.

I'm not in a position to argue as to who is right or wrong as i can't find the quote and i doubt you could either, but I truly believed and I think it was James Brent who said the money would be spent on players as it was unbudgeted it would be used to improve the squad.

For the record I don't belong to any in or out club. I simply asked a question that was asked to me.

I wonder what has happened to the transfer funds we have received for the players sold that knibbsworth mentioned. Although it wouldn't have guarenteed us a spot in the play offs we didn't strengthen the squad in January (weather this is Adams fault or weather he wasn't provided with the funds to do so i dont know) and this began to show when it mattered at the end of the season. Obviously the money from Jarvis cane too late to spend but will Adams be able to use it in the summer? I guess we will have to wait and see.
In my 20 years following argyle we always seem to have been a selling club and never a buying club not that spending money guarentees success but I think this league will be harder next season and so some money being spent on players would be good. Personally I would rather be playing in a league 1 stadium with a premiership squad rather than have a premiership quality stadium with a league 1 squad.

I was under the impression we would be getting a complete new grandstand, I await the finished product although I'm slightly disappointed that the roof above my season ticket has leaked for 3 seasons and hasn't been sorted I hope the grandstand roof is of a decent quality. I wanted to move but I think a grandstand mover has taken the seat I was going to move to.

Aug 5, 2015
You can tell itā€™s close season canā€™t you! Some people think heā€™s the best thing since sliced bread others think heā€™s the devil incarnate. The only common ground between the two should be the welfare and development of PAFC but that seems to be lost in the background noise.

Why canā€™t we have a different section called ā€œmy dick is bigger than yoursā€ where all these people can take their private arguments and agendas and leave the rest of us in peace?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I object to that Kentish, I really do.

The reason why I react is to put the FACTS as they are not as 'they' present them.

I openly admit my allegiance to JB - BUT nothing would get in the way of my allegiance to PAFC

Do you think the objectors to the planning permission could say that? I think not. They objected to cause a delay, they failed, they them said that Highways UK's objection would delay it, it didn't, now they're are saying that the failure to complete obligations will delay it, it won't. But they never admit they were wrong do they? They simply bang on about something else.

It's not all going to run smoothly, we all sort of get that, and expect it, but by God these people really, really want this to fall flat on its face.

I do wonder. The new 'expert' John Lloyd, has he run a project? Has he built a Ā£50m development known as the 'Life Centre' - Tony Hopwood has, who do you trust and believe?

Aug 5, 2015
Oh and on an actual football related matter, I think the squad was enhanced in January itā€™s just that some of them didnā€™t work out and some got injured and a useful squad member went elsewhere at the 11th hour but letā€™s not facts get in the way.

Frank Butcher

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Interesting that every comment I read bases its value on capital expenditure. I guarantee the revenue consequences of last season's promotion would also play a major part in financial planning for this season and beyond. And if we had managed to succeed in the play-offs that could have been magnified many times over.

I recall in my early days of following this club, people would often lambast Robert Daniel, the then Chairman, for being tight - particularly in the days of his confrontation with Tony Waiters (sales of Mariner and others that, perception-wise, went largely unspent). Fans have always seen capital coming in to the club and expect the very same to go in the opposite direction without any thought of other consequences.

Also, someone mentioned that in their time supporting Argyle, we had always been a selling club. It was ever thus in my experience too, but that is part of supporting a provincial team with no sugar daddy. I'd rather be us than Fleetwood for example.

Aug 5, 2015
Sorry IJN. I feel your pain. Sometimes you have to rise above it. But threads like this do get a bit tedious for those of us not personally involved. I want a better club with better facilities so that next time DA shows Clem around Home Park he doesnā€™t have to go to a locked portacabin

N

NorfolkGreen

Kentishgreen":u5yj83is said:
You can tell itā€™s close season canā€™t you! Some people think heā€™s the best thing since sliced bread others think heā€™s the devil incarnate. The only common ground between the two should be the welfare and development of PAFC but that seems to be lost in the background noise.

Why canā€™t we have a different section called ā€œmy dick is bigger than yoursā€ where all these people can take their private arguments and agendas and leave the rest of us in peace?

Completely agree, the comments made by both groups are embarrassing the insults thrown yet the proclamations of innocence are laughable. Letā€™s discuss, in a grown up way, the pros and cons of all things related to Argyle if some have legitimate questions let them be asked without fear of insult or ridicule, we all wants best for Argyle let reasoned discussion occur for the benefit of all fans.

Aug 10, 2006
Knibbsworth":1t8xi9ld said:
I suppose a few fans do wonder that with an average attendance of 10,500, higher than the League One champions Wigan, we can't even afford a decent back up striker to Ryan Taylor. We can't afford to fend off interest for Diagouraga from Fleetwood Town. That summer after summer, good players leave Argyle citing their derisory contract offers, Bradley and Threlkeld rumoured to be the latest of that conclusion, Peter Hartley, Reuben Reid, Kelvin Mellor, Curtis Nelson etc. having felt 'unwanted' by their wage offers beforehand.

Your point about paying money for Edwards is laughable. It was a negligible sum and a drop in the ocean compared to the money received for Curtis Nelson, Conor Hourihane (plus sell on clause), Ben Purrington, Jake Jervis, playing Liverpool away in front of 50,000 fans and then at home in front of 18,000. Your point about giving Carey a pay rise is daft too. Carey exploded into League Two and showed he was one if not two divisions below his standard, and you really expected him to carry on playing for Argyle on basic League Two wages, or to let our best player go when we could clearly afford more?

I don't dislike Brent to the extent of wanting him out (I believe others out there are), but DA's managerial talent masks the short comings of how the club is run. The budget Adams was given wasn't even good enough to get into the League Two playoffs, and he nearly won the division with 87 points. The budget Adams was given this season was apparently 16th in League One, which was apt for the relegation battle we found ourselves in. Yet Adams only missed the playoffs due to a squad threadbare of quality. From the way the club is run financially, we deserve to be no different to Cambridge United or Mansfield Town, stuck in League Two usually falling short of the playoffs. It is only the wily old fox in charge that separates us from that fate.

You say Brent kept his nerve on sacking Adams, but I'm quite certain that needing to pay him out of his four year contract was the smelling salts that kept Brent from making that decision. I say that as a poster firmly behind Derek Adams at every stage this season.

If Adams gets poached by a bigger club, some fans might see that our club isn't quite as solid and upwardly mobile as the league table suggests. It is only a lack of funding that stopped Brent's microstand and giant ice arena and cineplex being built, despite the majority of fans being completely disappointed and underwhelmed by it. And thank goodness for that, because the interests of Akkeron were clearly driving that agenda roughshod over the well being of the club and the views of the supporters.
well said.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah I know mate, but when Ruddlemoor came in and asked a question for someone who has either been banned or quit, it got me going.

People can make up their own minds I know, but the green tint side has to put sometimes when a few noisy experts seem to sway quite a few on Facebook.

It'll all come out in the wash.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
NorfolkGreen":19mzhdum said:
Completely agree, the comments made by both groups are embarrassing the insults thrown yet the proclamations of innocence are laughable. Letā€™s discuss, in a grown up way, the pros and cons of all things related to Argyle if some have legitimate questions let them be asked without fear of insult or ridicule, we all wants best for Argyle let reasoned discussion occur for the benefit of all fans.

Does this count as an insult? On Free Chat the day before yesterday.

You wonder why I bite? Have you read ANYTHING approaching that on here? So let's not even try to pass this off as a mam for tat thing eh?

Prat!

ZBMyBrA.jpg

Oct 16, 2016
IJN":65l70cn2 said:
NorfolkGreen":65l70cn2 said:

Does this count as an insult? On Free Chat the day before yesterday.

You wonder why I bite? Have you read ANYTHING approaching that on here? So let's not even try to pass this off as a mam for tat thing eh?

Prat!

ZBMyBrA.jpg

Tbf the grammar there is shocking, anybody that displays such poor grammar shouldnā€™t be heeded.

The content is libellous and criminal though, actionable imo