The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Carlo":2ed0y56k said:
Good post Knibbsworth.

In your opinion Carlo.

I could pick many holes in it, but I'll go with just one. How come if the budget wasn't big enough, did DA have money over? I've never quite understood that one.

Jan 27, 2012
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":29zgtger said:
5. He is redeveloping Home Park and the surrounding area.

He's tidying up the grandstand (which is very welcome) but wasn't that Hallett's money ?

The development of the 'surrounding area' is of limited benefit to the football cub. It will generate profits for Brent personally, but I think that if the Council had played their cards right, some of the profits could have been used to help fund an entirely new grandstand. I think that was the original intention.

I don't think the wider Plymouth public will like the look of these commercial developments once they start getting built near the park- and its only going to undermine the City Centre further. Brent is pretty good at getting the Herald to portray him in a favorable light and is also good at manipulating the Council, who are weak.

Just to be clear- I'm not entirely "anti-Brent". We could certainly have worse. But I do get annoyed when people wont hear a word of criticism about him.

He has his good points and his less good points.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
gaspargomez":1tsmj5zd said:
He's tidying up the grandstand (which is very welcome) but wasn't that Hallett's money.

Let's debate those two shall we?

Tidy up??? Explain that comment if you would. When you tidy up your house do you take off the roof take down the walls and remove all the seats then?

'Hallett's Money' - He (The Vice Chairman) has loaned it to PAFC. Would SH be able to do it unless JB saved PAFC five years ago?

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Knibbsworth":37qkb4b4 said:
999mattyg":37qkb4b4 said:
Sorry, are you auditing PAFC's accounts?
This is pure conjecture!
You have no idea about the finances. How much of their own money have the directors put in?
Simon Hallett stumped up £5 million for the stand redevelopment and then some more apparently!
Your point about Diagouraga to Fleetwood is nonsense. Fleetwood coaxed him away because their chairman is a billionaire and if you throw money at something you will get it! That doesn't make it right (sacking Uwe Rosler to get Joey Barton in shows the bloke has a screw lose!! :lol: )The player also wanted to move north!
I will also remind you that it was JB and the board that employed, and supported DA, think about it!!

Quoting figures reported in the media is "pure conjecture"?

You are free to disagree with me, I don't understand the ability to disagree with me without implying I am lying however.

I think you must have a persecution complex!
Where have I called you a liar?
Merely quoting figures from the media does not justify your argument!
Profit is not quoted and we are not privy to that information!
Therefore, I think, one can reasonably call your assumptions conjecture.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
gaspargomez":3ix1b085 said:
Just to be clear- I'm not entirely "anti-Brent".

Oh yes you are. You've made it perfectly obvious on many postings, usually when concerning money and budgets.

That's your opinion and you have every right to voice it but don't make out you're a fair minded poster when it comes to James Brent.

Jan 27, 2012
The original poster asks what other people think- we all know what YOU think IJN !

Personally, I'm not totally against Brent (as I have made clear in my post) but I am pointing out why some people are not such a big fan as yourself.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
gaspargomez":2pw1gk5a said:
The original poster asks what other people think- we all know what YOU think IJN !

Personally, I'm not totally against Brent (as I have made clear in my post) but I am pointing out why some people are not such a big fan as yourself.

I'm not the OP, so I am 'other people', but you're right to be fair, people do know where I am with it all.

However for you to claim you're not anti JB is risible it really is.

Oct 16, 2016
Incidentally Chris Dawson has a wealth close to £2bn, figures on regions rich list was re-evaluated yesterday, I asked him recently why he had never considered part or full ownership of PAFC, sadly he dislikes football ‘if Plymouth (argyle) was a a formula 1 team, it’d be a different matter’ was his riposte

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep that's our luck, Bristol City have a multi millionaire that loves Bristol City, we have a billionaire and he likes Pigeon racing!! :greensmile:

Mind you, when you hear some of the crap he comes out with, we should be happy he's not a green. :lol:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It’s very simple to me.

Year on year progress including play off final, promotion and near play offs again.

Financial stability, culminating in major improvements to infrastructure and the holy grail of grandstand improvement.

Can anyone tell me of the better place they expected us to be at this point?

I see people who complain about JB as the same sort who come out of a ground lamenting that they only won 2-0 and not 3 or 4.

And I remain completely baffled by the people who think match attendance = size of budget.

Apr 12, 2016
Whether or not you support James Brent or not the plain fact of the matter is he saved the club when there was no credible alternative. Since then we have improved steadily year on year achieving some real success and done it with a sensible economic strategy. Why football supporters nationally think that clubs should operate on a continual loss/debt basis with all the implications of such a policy is a mind-set that needs changing albeit that's a different debate.

Leaving all that to one side though the abuse Brent (and others) gets is appalling. Typical sadly of the modern keyboard warriors who only equip themselves with the basic non-facts or inaccurate information to suit their own skewed prejudices. Half of them are real cowards and basically not very bright. Sensible qualified criticism is fair - abuse is not.