"The stats don't lie..." | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"The stats don't lie..."

Jun 28, 2018
A friend of mine who.moved to Canada in the 70s was at the Blackpool game,first time he has seen argyle in over 40 years and he was gobsmacked at how bad we were,and this was a game that we supposedly played well,I thought we were awful again.
But it begs the question have our standards slipped so much that we the fans accept any rubbish that is being served up?

Sep 8, 2018
I love a good stat as a much as the next football nerd. If I was a manager (never gonna happen, but anyway...) I would want all the numbers I could get my grubby spreadsheets on. But stats have to be balanced against what you are actually seeing with your own eyes on the pitch week in week out. That intangible stuff that comes from experience and a natural feel for the game is what separates bog-standard managers from great ones.

I can't work out whether Adams' relentless focus on stats is because that's what he really believes or because he knows that the other stuff is so awful at the moment that talking about it would demoralise players and supporters. I hope it's the latter and that he has a cunning plan for turning it round. Otherwise....

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":2opimn0p said:
It's not rubbish though is it?

Bristol Rovers away we were the better team. We missed some gilt edged chances, some bottled finishing that probably wouldn't have happened if we weren't bottom and the players weren't under pressure. Blackpool was the same, enough clear cut chances to win two or three games.

You don't sack a manager when the players are playing like this, trying hard, creating GOOD chances. We just need a bit of luck and momentum. Last season it just clicked, we got a draw and built on it, went months unbeaten. The season before, lose lose lose lose then about a record breaking winning streak.

It's no exaggeration to say in the cold light of day we're playing well with positivity and purpose, but when the chips are down those chances hit the post and the bar rather than clip it on the way into the net. The bad luck can't last like this forever.

COYG :scarf:

I can excuse Justin and Moles talking nonsense about creating chances v Blackpool as they weren't there but you were I think. Or perhaps not? . So you seem very confused. You do know Argyle were playing in green?. When you talk about all these good chances are you including the warm up before the game?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Quizmike":1t7rvk2r said:
8 games 4 goals 3 points

The stats don't lie

Statistically over the season that equals RELEGATION ( so would winning the next 3 games and having 12 pts from 11 games ) - DA wake up and smell the coffee FFS !!!!

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The stats have shown us having numerous attempts at goal in some of the games, even those where we were well beaten. As the manager he has to be aware of both what is and is not working
So long as Adams is not deluded then I couldn't really care less about his public statements. Most broadcast football talk is platitudes, cliche and smoke and mirrors anyway. I very rarely go looking for it.

Sep 6, 2006
Green_Matt":296yvue7 said:
The stats have shown us having numerous attempts at goal in some of the games, even those where we were well beaten. As the manager he has to be aware of both what is and is not working
So long as Adams is not deluded then I couldn't really care less about his public statements. Most broadcast football talk is platitudes, cliche and smoke and mirrors anyway. I very rarely go looking for it.

But he does seem very reliant on stats which is very worrying and means little. This nonsense about having most attacks in the Division for example. How do you define an attack and what use is it if it eventually leads to an aimless cross to the keeper or in Rileys case the Devonport End.

Sep 8, 2018
Balham_Green":1v6udamh said:
Green_Matt":1v6udamh said:

But he does seem very reliant on stats which is very worrying and means little. This nonsense about having most attacks in the Division for example. How do you define an attack and what use is it if it eventually leads to an aimless cross to the keeper or in Rileys case the Devonport End.

Stats are fine as far as they go but have to be treated with extreme caution. Just because something can be quantified doesn't mean it conveys any information that is actually useful or relevant. All this stuff about being statistically unlucky might be credible for a handful of games but it's starting to wear thin after eight without a win.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":fvvj123o said:
Knibbsworth":fvvj123o said:

Bristol Rovers away we were the better team. We missed some gilt edged chances, some bottled finishing that probably wouldn't have happened if we weren't bottom and the players weren't under pressure. Blackpool was the same, enough clear cut chances to win two or three games.

You don't sack a manager when the players are playing like this, trying hard, creating GOOD chances. We just need a bit of luck and momentum. Last season it just clicked, we got a draw and built on it, went months unbeaten. The season before, lose lose lose lose then about a record breaking winning streak.

It's no exaggeration to say in the cold light of day we're playing well with positivity and purpose, but when the chips are down those chances hit the post and the bar rather than clip it on the way into the net. The bad luck can't last like this forever.

I can excuse Justin and Moles talking nonsense about creating chances v Blackpool as they weren't there but you were I think. Or perhaps not? . So you seem very confused. You do know Argyle were playing in green?. When you talk about all these good chances are you including the warm up before the game?
To the likes of you and Shankster our chances don't count, only the oppositions.

Oct 16, 2016
esmer":3emls7hc said:
Balham_Green":3emls7hc said:
Knibbsworth":3emls7hc said:

To the likes of you and Shankster our chances don't count, only the oppositions.

Only the facts

1 won in 15, fact

Oct 24, 2010
Shankster":1ffrx5a6 said:
esmer":1ffrx5a6 said:
Balham_Green":1ffrx5a6 said:
Knibbsworth":1ffrx5a6 said:

Only the facts

1 won in 15, fact
If you want facts that might make you feel a bit more positive look at Adam's track record

Oct 16, 2016
esmer":2akkrgs3 said:
Shankster":2akkrgs3 said:
esmer":2akkrgs3 said:
Balham_Green":2akkrgs3 said:
Knibbsworth":2akkrgs3 said:

Only the facts

1 won in 15, fact
If you want facts that might make you feel a bit more positive look at Adam's track record

Bud, I have a season ticket, I go to every home game, many aways too. That’s been the case for a good number of years, I don’t simply question a manager because it makes me feel good.

There will be those that fully support Adams and will excuse and apologise for him come what may, I accept that.

I don’t enjoy Adams’ football, I think he talks absolute piffle and the facts are that we are in a hideous run of form playing diabolical football and I’m am sitting through it

He’s an employee with little vested interest other than a wage and reputation, I don’t apologise for him and I wouldn’t shed a tear if he was offed now, hopefully he is

Edit: as for his record? Managed Ross county twice in a pathetic league. No track record in any quality league/ s

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":1kceiwxv said:
Balham_Green":1kceiwxv said:
Knibbsworth":1kceiwxv said:

Come on then. Tell us ALL chances.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":3d8kvxpo said:
esmer":3d8kvxpo said:
Balham_Green":3d8kvxpo said:
Knibbsworth":3d8kvxpo said:

What I can remember

Rovers: Lapedo, Carey, Sarcevic, Songo + others in goalmouth scramble

Blackpool: Carey (good save from the keeper),Grant (very close to keepers save from Carey's shot), Edwards (Close range from corner saved by goalie), Lapedo (Hit post) Lameries (narrow angle shot), Songo (very close to Lameries shot after the goalie saved), Sarcevic (cross fractionally too high in injury time close range couldn't get it down), Sawyer (Close range effort blocked by defender)

Now tell us all Blackpool's

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":6b8i4qo6 said:
Knibbsworth":6b8i4qo6 said:

Actually BG I did see the whole match live, though not actually at the ground admittedly. We had plenty of chances. The Ladapo touch of class was a close as you can get without scoring. There were plenty of clear cuts in the last 20 mins too.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
esmer":316q47m8 said:
Balham_Green":316q47m8 said:
esmer":316q47m8 said:
Balham_Green":316q47m8 said:
Knibbsworth":316q47m8 said:

What I can remember

Rovers: Lapedo, Carey, Sarcevic, Songo + others in goalmouth scramble

Blackpool: Carey (good save from the keeper),Grant (very close to keepers save from Carey's shot), Edwards (Close range from corner saved by goalie), Lapedo (Hit post) Lameries (narrow angle shot), Songo (very close to Lameries shot after the goalie saved), Sarcevic (cross fractionally too high in injury time close range couldn't get it down), Sawyer (Close range effort blocked by defender)

Now tell us all Blackpool's

You forgot Taylor mis-controlling the ball with just the goalie to beat.