The thread formerly known as "Bradford Home next Saturday" | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The thread formerly known as "Bradford Home next Saturday"

Feb 22, 2018
Fergy":qrmc95vf said:
Keepitgreen":qrmc95vf said:
Balham_Green":qrmc95vf said:
We DO need a song. Try u tubing Hibso 'sunshine on leath'.

We'd need a few more fans to make us sound like that. :lol:

You Tube

Great anthem. It’s a shame there’s never been a big group/artist from Plymouth whose song we could adopt.

Having previously spent a few years living in the Midlands, I've visited the majority of the grounds up there. Even years later, I can still remember being in awe of the Birmingham fans in full voice singing their "Keep Right On" anthem!

https://youtu.be/ke5AKdH7axE - I would love Argyle to have something similar to this. Intimidating due to the sheer volume but also full of pride and passion. Most of all, it is unique and not one of the many generic chants that the majority of clubs adopt.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Should be a good attendance.

May 16, 2016
WHGreen":2iwpi4us said:
Fergy":2iwpi4us said:
Keepitgreen":2iwpi4us said:
Balham_Green":2iwpi4us said:

We'd need a few more fans to make us sound like that. :lol:

You Tube

Great anthem. It’s a shame there’s never been a big group/artist from Plymouth whose song we could adopt.

Having previously spent a few years living in the Midlands, I've visited the majority of the grounds up there. Even years later, I can still remember being in awe of the Birmingham fans in full voice singing their "Keep Right On" anthem!

https://youtu.be/ke5AKdH7axE - I would love Argyle to have something similar to this. Intimidating due to the sheer volume but also full of pride and passion. Most of all, it is unique and not one of the many generic chants that the majority of clubs adopt.

https://youtu.be/DFNmuuPkt_c

How about this one. Catchy and sinagalongable.

Jul 3, 2013
IJN":13bsgvv0 said:
I don't think that was the case, apparently Argyle fans sang 'Goodnight Irene' at the Rovers fans as they were walking out after a defeat.

Seems genuine

There are different accounts as to how the song became the fans’ favorite at the Old Eastvile Stadium. The only idea everyone seems to agree with is that it all started out in the 1950’s, a decade before “You’ll Never Walk Alone” was ever heard at Anfield and 30 years before “Blue Moon” began by Manchester City fans.

One match day in November 1950, the Plymouth Argyle team arrived at the Eastvile Stadium in style-they had an accordion player, and his work was to belt out songs from the sidelines before the game started. Among the songs played that day was Goodnight Irene by Huddie William Ledbetter, who went by the moniker Lead Belly.

Argyle drew the first blood in the first half of the match, and their fans sung out the song to taunt the home crowd. In a crazy spell that lasted all of 8 minutes in the second half, The Gas scored three goals, prompting Gasheads to shoot down the Argyle fans with their own creation, ‘Goodnight Argyle’.

In a FA quarter-final against Newcastle, Joe Stafford’s rendition reverberated around the stadium, with the rival fans even joining in for good measure. The popularity of the Goodnight Irene theme surged on among Gasheads, which was quickly taken up as the club’s anthem. The rest, as they say, is history.

Apr 26, 2016
Well it was good night Irene for me at Eastvile, when some dick hit me round the head with a scaffold plank, in hindsight driving to Rovers in a Vauxhall viva with Argyle
sticker in the back window and parking at the wrong end of the ground shows that relying on your mate knowing what the hell he was doing was a little naïve.
Don't remember to much of course except sitting in Torbay hospital for five hours looking like Duros out of star wars.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Guiri Green":1uxhxee5 said:
Balham_Green":1uxhxee5 said:

One of my favourites that one.

And mine :scarf:

Feb 2, 2007
Just been on ticket hub, they really need to open up some more of the Lyndhurst as it will be putting people off booking late on as you will struggle to get more than 2 tickets together.

Looks at least 12000 on there already, great news :scarf:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Large crowd, scuppering an effectively direct rival in the playoff hunt, that’s bigger stakes on shoulders than we’ve had to face since all the way back to last spring, very interesting to see how the pressure impacts. COYMG. (Mighty).