Time wasting, spoiling, moving the ball etc. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Time wasting, spoiling, moving the ball etc.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
r4h4al":38dmm547 said:
IJN":38dmm547 said:
How about giving a 30 second countdown after a goal? So, it would mean that the scoring team would have to be back in position or the scored against team would have free reign to score a breakaway. Would be a great spectacle.

And Yellow card the players who aren't in position by 30 seconds.

What about when the goal brings a team from 2-0 down to 2-1 with minutes to play. It's not always the team that has scored who don't want the game restarted quickly.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":159dna2v said:
Taking the ball into the corner is a tactical measure to kill time whilst keeping the ball in play, I don't think there's anything dirty about it and it's certainly not cheating, in fact I think it shows good discipline when many more naive players would try to cut in and get a shot away. I was pleased when a while ago Jephcott came on for his debut, he could have tried to take on the full back but instead held the ball in the corner, showed a sensible head. Everyone would be moaning if we didn't do it and instead gifted an opportunity for our opponents to attack.

Not the point. It's against the spirit of the game and not what people pay for.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":3f6i5ysh said:
Balham_Green":3f6i5ysh said:
I would also stop the carrying the ball in to the corner at the end. That is not entertainment.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything that can be done to stop this as the ball is still in play. Maybe the ref could give a free kick for obstruction when the player is shielding the ball while making no attempt to play it, but that would be the most a ref could give.

That's what I was thinking. Tweet the obstruction rule slightly if necessary.

Sep 6, 2006
So that if a player was stopping another player getting the ball but had no intention of doing anything with it themselves it was obstruction. Something along those lines. Not difficult.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
How would you determine a player has no intention of doing anything with it? You can't remove shielding the ball whilst in possession. That is a skill that players use all over the park.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":26zoorkh said:
How would you determine a player has no intention of doing anything with it?

There are other rules that the ref has to determine if there was intent involved, handball being one. Why not with obstruction?

Aug 14, 2014
The referee is expected to act to stop all these rule bending activities? He has precious little support from spectators, managers, players, PL, EFL, FA and international governing associations, all with their various agendas and vested interests.

Let's take a lesson from Rugby with regards to head injuries which are on the rise. Take the "injured" off for an assessment if the trainer is called on, then take matters a step further and decide if fit to return or needs substitution. 10 men for 10 mins will sort out the pretenders.

Substitutions in general. Once the indicating board goes up and a there is a suitable break in play, the referee signals the substitution and restarts the game immediately. The OFF player leaves the pitch over the nearest perimeter line and the ON player immediately takes the field. Fourth official monitors and if either player plays the ball whilst both on the pitch, a red card is issued to both.

Rugby at the top club and international level is showing the beginnings of darker practices of football.

Jan 20, 2004
Balham_Green":7ecb4j6a said:
GreenThing":7ecb4j6a said:
Balham_Green":7ecb4j6a said:
I would also stop the carrying the ball in to the corner at the end. That is not entertainment.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything that can be done to stop this as the ball is still in play. Maybe the ref could give a free kick for obstruction when the player is shielding the ball while making no attempt to play it, but that would be the most a ref could give.

That's what I was thinking. Tweet the obstruction rule slightly if necessary.

Or have a 1m sq box in the corner were any one player is only allowed to touch the ball once.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
:funny

There is some desperation coming into this.

The best way to stop attackers taking the ball into the corners is to stop them getting the ball in the first place

If we make hold up play and shielding the ball obstruction then the game will lose more than it gains.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Balham_Green":3m4ur3hz said:
So that if a player was stopping another player getting the ball but had no intention of doing anything with it themselves it was obstruction. Something along those lines. Not difficult.

Agree actually, think it's a good idea and would cut that nonsense out.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":25sl3qdr said:
:funny

There is some desperation coming into this.

The best way to stop attackers taking the ball into the corners is to stop them getting the ball in the first place

If we make hold up play and shielding the ball obstruction then the game will lose more than it gains.

Makes no sense.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
jespafc":3hwkuxfo said:
IJN":3hwkuxfo said:
How about giving a 30 second countdown after a goal? So, it would mean that the scoring team would have to be back in position or the scored against team would have free reign to score a breakaway. Would be a great spectacle.

Simple, clear, logical.....the FA would never go for it.

The other day I caught the very end of Lille vs. Reims on BT Sport. It was 1-2 to Reims, but Lille had a 93rd min penalty. Now, everyone was ready for the penalty apart from the Reims GK who was stood just by his post off the pitch adjusting his boots apparently, but in reality it was clear he was just delaying the penalty for mind games. The ref finally booked him, but he petulantly walked into the back of his goal and took a drink of water.

I find it baffling that in this situation the ref can't just say, you've had plenty of time, we're all ready and blow his whistle giving the penalty taker an empty net to fire into. Why do we have to put up with these ridiculous incidents which could be so easily eradicated.

In rugby for example England played New Zealand very recently. England scored a try in roughly the 76th minute which would have potentially been the match winning points. It was eventually ruled out after video consultation and the try was not awarded meaning England lost by a single point. My point here is that the England players barely murmured at the decision. They took it and carried on....no finger pointing, no blatant shouting at the ref, they got on with it in a dignified manner.

I would love to see a ref brave enough to do that.

It's no different to players not being ready for a quick corner or free kick routine. Why should opposition players dictate the tempo of the other team's penalty.

You had the same at the World Cup, pretty much every penalty awarded was followed by 5 minutes of players surrounding the ref arguing the toss or going over to try and put off the penalty taker.

Once the kick taker is ready the ref should just blow his whistle, any player in the way of the penalty or taker when they attempt the shot gets a booking, if the keeper is having a drink or tapping the posts it's his loss, you should remain switched on at all times just like quick free kicks.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Southampton Hake":255xebgm said:
The referee is expected to act to stop all these rule bending activities? He has precious little support from spectators, managers, players, PL, EFL, FA and international governing associations, all with their various agendas and vested interests.

Let's take a lesson from Rugby with regards to head injuries which are on the rise. Take the "injured" off for an assessment if the trainer is called on, then take matters a step further and decide if fit to return or needs substitution. 10 men for 10 mins will sort out the pretenders.

Substitutions in general. Once the indicating board goes up and a there is a suitable break in play, the referee signals the substitution and restarts the game immediately. The OFF player leaves the pitch over the nearest perimeter line and the ON player immediately takes the field. Fourth official monitors and if either player plays the ball whilst both on the pitch, a red card is issued to both.

Rugby at the top club and international level is showing the beginnings of darker practices of football.

Beginnings? Do you remember Dean Richards at Harlequins and his management of 'Bloodgate'. That must have been at least 4 years ago.