Unsightly waste ground between Mayflower and Devonport End | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Unsightly waste ground between Mayflower and Devonport End

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
E-mail the Stadium Manager as he will know for certain. Personally,I would have thought the Eagles-type canvas would have been simple and not too expensive.

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":1fq05tnz said:
oldage":1fq05tnz said:
During the current pandemic I think there are far more important things for Argyle to worry about than cosmetics

Fair enough, let’s have the ground looking like Steptoe's yard then. Don’t bother painting anything either.

Of course it should be tidied up and it wouldn’t cost much at all to have some sort of cover over it all with the clubs crest on it ffs. Or even use it for advertising purposes. Hopefully SH will actually read this thread or somebody will mention it to him.
It's all about priorities. Strange how quick some fans are at spending other people's money.About time they woke up and realised we are facing tough financial decisions.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Agree its not a priority at the moment, but the OP didn't know the history, etc. and was perfectly entitled to ask.

Unless there's anything pending or good reasons not to then IJN's offer looks worth the Club considering.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would imagine the offer and sponsorship are now off the table. Post Covid world is much different to last September.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":112gdbmn said:
Devongreenowl":112gdbmn said:
oldage":112gdbmn said:
During the current pandemic I think there are far more important things for Argyle to worry about than cosmetics

Fair enough, let’s have the ground looking like Steptoe's yard then. Don’t bother painting anything either.

Of course it should be tidied up and it wouldn’t cost much at all to have some sort of cover over it all with the clubs crest on it ffs. Or even use it for advertising purposes. Hopefully SH will actually read this thread or somebody will mention it to him.
It's all about priorities. Strange how quick some fans are at spending other people's money.About time they woke up and realised we are facing tough financial decisions.
Yep, made worse by certain fans not renewing their season ticket because the club signed a certain player. ;)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah I remember Ian posting that, and then Andrew Parkinson saying he agreed it was an eyesore and that something was lined up with Ginsters to cover it.

Unfortunately it does look a bit rubbish, as any highlight or TV coverage of anything at the Devonport end is blighted by a load of rotting concrete, weeds and general debris. Which somewhat undermines the rest of the slick facilities and media that Argyle are putting out.

I would totally understand if there really is no money available whatsoever to do anything about it, but equally it looks REALLY bad to me and possibly a canvas or MDF solution can be found. Especially if we play Spurs on TV and the world is watching.

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
I still like the idea of a replica Mayflower ship. I know that’s unrealistic but would be quite unique and cool.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Pift":2mf3jkzs said:
I still like the idea of a replica Mayflower ship. I know that’s unrealistic but would be quite unique and cool.

Perhaps flashing green lights in the rigging for when Argyle score? Pilgrim Pete could warch the match from the replica, entertain the crowd from there during the break, or even "walk the plank" if Argyle lose?? Nah!

It might be unique but classy it would not be.

Not a giant Pasty either please.

You would think a cover would pay for itself with advertising.

Jan 21, 2007
I remember a few seasons back, when we had Jimmy Spencer and Jordan Slew, there was always a lot of rubbish inside and around the penalty area.

Jul 12, 2016
Keepitgreen":251cc4k6 said:
oldage":251cc4k6 said:
Devongreenowl":251cc4k6 said:
oldage":251cc4k6 said:

Yep, made worse by certain fans not renewing their season ticket because the club signed a certain player. ;)
If you are having a go ,this was only one of the reasons.

May 8, 2011
oldage":32d4fmgb said:
Devongreenowl":32d4fmgb said:
oldage":32d4fmgb said:

Is the Club facing tough financial decisions?
The evidence wouldn’t suggest that such as:
Signing numerous players rather than using players from the Academy;
Paying a transfer fee;
Sending the squad and several back up staff for a trip to Glasgow.
Advertising for several new or vacant posts.

Doesn’t appear to be the actions of an organisation with a problem with finance.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
HC Green":1jmcwx6b said:
oldage":1jmcwx6b said:
Devongreenowl":1jmcwx6b said:
oldage":1jmcwx6b said:

Is the Club facing tough financial decisions?
The evidence wouldn’t suggest that such as:
Signing numerous players rather than using players from the Academy;
Paying a transfer fee;
Sending the squad and several back up staff for a trip to Glasgow.
Advertising for several new or vacant posts.

Doesn’t appear to be the actions of an organisation with a problem with finance.

Every organisation should have a problem with finance, especially at the moment. Spending money on any of the things you have listed above has the potential to significantly improve the club's position on a variety of timescales. Spending money to tidy up a small area of ground wouldn't. There's absolutely no conflict between the club continuing to spend money and invest in its ability to compete and grow versus re-organising staffing levels and roles and keeping a tight rein on spending generally.

But I can't really see why it wouldn't be possible to significantly improve that corner of the ground using volunteers and donated materials except for i) it requires someone to take the lead and organise things ii) there will be restrictions at the moment which would make this difficult and iii) there is probably some H&S/insurance ruling that makes things complicated.
(so actually I CAN really see why it wouldn't be possible!)

D

Darren Stoneman

I have to agree with oldage, a few weeks ago the club announced redundancies to cut the cloth accordingly and now some people want us to spend money on an area which at some stage will get developed.

There are many worse grounds in the country and I would rather we had a stable club than a great flower bed or similar,

How many fans do you think come to HP and say, oh look at that area, what an eyesore? Or how many come and say what an amazing pitch and great attacking football?

I know what I would say!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think all of us who are bothered by it, have said it's understandable if nothing can be done.

But it's a load of rotting concrete and weeds in one of the most visible parts of the entire ground, given the cameras pointing that way and the likely goalmouth action at the Devonport End. For me that's a really unfortunate contrast with all the slickness that surrounds it, and would be good if it could be at least covered up with some sort of low-cost, short term solution... if the canvas that Ian and others have mentioned isn't happening anymore.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Given the TV cameras are facing straight at it it's a prime location for a company to pay for the covering and have their logo on it? This would be no cost to the club and could be fan led with agreement from the club.
We have a director with links to Ginsters so maybe they would be interested in sponsoring the covering?

The coverings over the empty seats in Premier League stadiums appeared very quickly.