Unsightly waste ground between Mayflower and Devonport End | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Unsightly waste ground between Mayflower and Devonport End

Jul 12, 2016
Darren Stoneman":2r6jcnf0 said:
I have to agree with oldage, a few weeks ago the club announced redundancies to cut the cloth accordingly and now some people want us to spend money on an area which at some stage will get developed.

There are many worse grounds in the country and I would rather we had a stable club than a great flower bed or similar,

How many fans do you think come to HP and say, oh look at that area, what an eyesore? Or how many come and say what an amazing pitch and great attacking football?

I know what I would say!
At last somebody on the same wavelength. This area would be bottom of my list of priorities. A nice to have rather than essential.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
AdelaideGreen":3fd3an8b said:
Pift":3fd3an8b said:
I still like the idea of a replica Mayflower ship. I know that’s unrealistic but would be quite unique and cool.

Perhaps flashing green lights in the rigging for when Argyle score? Pilgrim Pete could warch the match from the replica, entertain the crowd from there during the break, or even "walk the plank" if Argyle lose?? Nah!

It might be unique but classy it would not be.

Not a giant Pasty either please.

You would think a cover would pay for itself with advertising.
I floated the idea of a replica Mayflower (pun intended) last year based on the galleon parked in the corner of the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneer's stadium. Done properly it would look amazing and totally unique - it doesn't have to be Disneyesque or tacky. It would, however, certainly be a talking point! :think:

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
When I win the jackpot on the Lottery i'll commission a massive wooden Mayflower ship monument to sit there. It'll look spectacular and fire off green and white confetti cannons from it's side when Danny Mayor sends in another screamer! That should cover up any unsightly cables or weeds.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":t5wafart said:
Darren Stoneman":t5wafart said:
I have to agree with oldage, a few weeks ago the club announced redundancies to cut the cloth accordingly and now some people want us to spend money on an area which at some stage will get developed.

There are many worse grounds in the country and I would rather we had a stable club than a great flower bed or similar,

How many fans do you think come to HP and say, oh look at that area, what an eyesore? Or how many come and say what an amazing pitch and great attacking football?

I know what I would say!
At last somebody on the same wavelength. This area would be bottom of my list of priorities. A nice to have rather than essential.

Of course, but we're talking MDF and/or canvas to cover up weeds and rotting concrete. This isn't a conversation about any sort of development.

Anyway, we know the club think it's an eyesore too from Andrew Parkinson's comments. Hopefully 'something' can be done that doesn't cost much.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I watched the QPR game on iFollow and to be perfectly honest I didn’t even notice this area as being an eyesore. I don’t think anyone need be embarrassed how it might look on TV because many viewers like myself won’t even notice, let alone have an opinion on how it looks.

Jul 24, 2009
Lundan Cabbie":2of5yute said:
I watched the QPR game on iFollow and to be perfectly honest I didn’t even notice this area as being an eyesore. I don’t think anyone need be embarrassed how it might look on TV because many viewers like myself won’t even notice, let alone have an opinion on how it looks.
Agree with this, I hadn't noticed it but having read this thread and re-watched the highlights and maybe it does look like it could do with tidying up, probably with some tarp as people have suggested. Presumably any sponsorship or similar would have been understandably put on pause with the current situation and staff have been furloughed. Once things are in a better place with COVID hopefully this will be looked at at some stage next year, but it really isn't that bad and there is no desperate rush in the meantime.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, I'm very happy to admit some people are more anal (oo er) than others. Me especially.

As if to prove the point, I've just de-capped all the words in this thread title as it was annoying me :lol: :oops:

Jan 18, 2007
Before this thread I emailed Mr Hallett and mention this area I got a very curt reply saying "we have better things to spend our money on at the moment" and that was all perhaps you should speak to them again IJN.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I spoke to the club pre Covid. I agree with Mr Hallett's comments now.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Just a thought - couldn't we, the Pasoti community, take this issue off the club's hands and put together all that is needed (money, expertise, ideas, etc) that is necessary to improve this aspect of the club? In the end, it would be their decision as to what was done there, but it would be at no cost (financial or time) to them at any stage.

When my dad was an official with the original Argyle supporters' club they raised the finance and organised the planning for the new stand on what was then known as the Popular Side (now the Lyndhurst). This allowed the club to get on with the football side of the operation and tapped into sources of finance that the club would not otherwise have had access to.

What do you think, Ian?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Keith_Whitfield":265g8j79 said:
Just a thought - couldn't we, the Pasoti community, take this issue off the club's hands and put together all that is needed (money, expertise, ideas, etc) that is necessary to improve this aspect of the club? In the end, it would be their decision as to what was done there, but it would be at no cost (financial or time) to them at any stage.

When my dad was an official with the original Argyle supporters' club they raised the finance and organised the planning for the new stand on what was then known as the Popular Side (now the Lyndhurst). This allowed the club to get on with the football side of the operation and tapped into sources of finance that the club would not otherwise have had access to.

What do you think, Ian?

As I wrote earlier in the thread:

I can't really see why it wouldn't be possible to significantly improve that corner of the ground using volunteers and donated materials except for i) it requires someone to take the lead and organise things ii) there will be restrictions at the moment which would make this difficult and iii) there is probably some H&S/insurance ruling that makes things complicated.
(so actually I CAN really see why it wouldn't be possible!)

But I don't have the necessary time, money, contacts etc. and I expect the same is true for pretty much everyone else. I'm sure that IF someone came up with a viable, zero- (or perhaps even minimal-) cost/effort plan from the club's perspective they would happily listen to it.