Will you celebrate... | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Will you celebrate...

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Celebrate maybe not the right word, but I think we thoroughly deserve promotion. Given the mass overhaul we went through last summer with a raft of key players abandoning ship after relegation, the manager and his team deserve a huge amount of credit for being in the automatic fight at this stage of the season.

Based on what I watched this season, there were not three teams playing better football than us. There were some more resolute than us defensively, some more clinical going forward, but few who were the all round package that RL has put together.

Something noticeable is the impact of our new signings. Under DA we’d become accustomed to a scattergun approach to the transfer window. We’d sign just as many bad players as we would good, although when he got it right, he got it very right. This year, only Jose Baxter would fall into the “bad signing” category, albeit the circumstances of his departure remain somewhat strange. Aimson looked good when he featured but has been unlucky with injury and even Rudden who I really did not rate, contributed some important goals. Mayor, Fadz, Moore, Grant, Bakinson, Hardie, Telford, Edwards, Cooper and Palmer have all been somewhere between good and outstanding. It’s a positive sign of things to come, and also testament to our scouting/analysis team.

Whilst we’ll never know, I personally think we’d have finished in the top 3. Our form since October has been very consistent, losing only four times and with the amount of goals in our squad I didn’t see us falling away, particularly as this team has shown it could bounce back from a bad result and has become very effective on the road.

All of the above makes me feel good about next season. The transfer window is going to be unpredictable but gives us all the more reason to keep the core of this squad together and continue giving opportunities to youth players to be involved.

So will I celebrate? I won’t be jumping up and down, but I’ll be delighted to get out of this division and I’m very positive about what comes next!

Jul 12, 2016
I won't celebrate because although I would be delighted to see us promoted it's feels like a bit of a hollow victory. Having said that ,after the the travesty of us going down last season ,we were due a bit of luck. What the leagues will look like when the new season begins is anybody's guess.

Mar 29, 2020
If people want it officially confirmed they won’t do that until League 1,Championship and Premier has finished....but we are definitely Promoted.

Jul 12, 2016
Kersie":3ufmnkbd said:
If people want it officially confirmed they won’t do that until League 1,Championship and Premier has finished....but we are definitely Promoted.
Famous last words!

Dec 30, 2011
simon1argyle":37yvkv28 said:
I don't think I would party/celebrate per se, but I imagine the first home game back with a full stadium would be epic

Definitely. First game with a crowd is going to be a huge event and surely a massive attendance.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Very delighted to be up, if it's confirmed as expected.

Doesn't feel like much of a cause for celebration considering the circumstances, but I'll look forward to League One next year.

I'm excited to see what Lowe can do at that level.

Jul 29, 2010
No, I won't.

All it means is we reset back in L1. Back to where we were before, before we f**ked up 2018/19. No better off, no worse off, just back to square 1.

Had we had our promotion winning game, our pitch invasion and our civic reception then it might feel like an achievement. Promotion by administrative decree does not feel like an achievement at all, least of all one worthy of celebration.

I will be totally 'meh' about the whole thing.

...and that's even WITHOUT reflecting on the fact that 36,000 people died here the first wave of this pandemic. To celebrate anything other than the saving of the estimated 464,000 who would otherwise have died without the action the nation took is quite frankly embarrassing.

X Isle":20vv6n5y said:
No, I won't.

All it means is we reset back in L1. Back to where we were before, before we f**ked up 2018/19. No better off, no worse off, just back to square 1.

Had we had our promotion winning game, our pitch invasion and our civic reception then it might feel like an achievement. Promotion by administrative decree does not feel like an achievement at all, least of all one worthy of celebration.

...and that's even WITHOUT reflecting on the fact that 36,000 people died here the first wave of this pandemic. To celebrate anything other than the saving of the estimated 464,000 who would otherwise have died without the action the nation took is quite frankly embarrassing.

OK, I'll bite. This was a question of whether we would celebrate being promoted, not about mourning the horrific number of deaths. So, am I happy to be promoted? Yes. Will I celebrate? Yes. Will I just ignore the deaths and carry on as though nothing had ever happened? No.

Is that the response you were looking for?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
X Isle":k1bf2uv6 said:
No, I won't.

You said 'without reflecting' and then proceeded to reflect.
I don’t suppose you’ll celebrate any of your family birthdays this year then in your sort of pious Queen Victoria outlook. We all know what’s happened without you giving us he Dimbleby lecture. Doesn’t mean people can’t be happy about Argyle or anything else they choose. Life goes on thankfully.

Mar 29, 2020
Ok X isle we will post on here next season how the games went....another half hearted Argyle fan....don’t worry Argyle there will be a load of us next season cheering you on. :scarf:

Sep 6, 2006
Bermudian Green":3i90n74s said:
X Isle":3i90n74s said:
No, I won't.

OK, I'll bite. This was a question of whether we would celebrate being promoted, not about mourning the horrific number of deaths. So, am I happy to be promoted? Yes. Will I celebrate? Yes. Will I just ignore the deaths and carry on as though nothing had ever happened? No.

Is that the response you were looking for?

Well said. Usual superior tone by xisle as if he is the only one to recognize the tragedy rather thsn us lesser mortals.

Sep 6, 2006
greensalt":1poufktb said:
simon1argyle":1poufktb said:
I don't think I would party/celebrate per se, but I imagine the first home game back with a full stadium would be epic

Definitely. First game with a crowd is going to be a huge event and surely a massive attendance.

Hmmm check out the other thread with 25% capacity!