Will you celebrate... | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Will you celebrate...

Jan 2, 2010
mervyn":2gxnfjd0 said:
Need some help here. My celebration was going to be a sculpture of Pilgrim Pete from a large dead oak in my garden. Local sculptor assured me he would do a fine job. Wife has forbidden it! Any ideas for bringing her round?

Tell the wife it's Gary Barlow (or whoever) inside the Pilgrim Pete costume.

May 1, 2011
Cult Of Personality":1rpn7azt said:
No.. because this promotion will have come because over 30 thousand people have died due to a horrible virus.

There is bigger things in this world then football

Promotion did not come about due to a virus.

There has always been bigger things in the world other than football. How did you ever enjoy football for example knowing that in the 3rd world there is terrible suffering? Faux outrage has certainly risen during this very difficult period.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Well said Bristol Rich. Maybe the cult thinks we should do a lap of embarrassment instead. It’s similar to a teenager who blamed the elderly and the virus for ‘the loss of his teenage years’. Not even the slightest sense of realism at a time when we have just been reminded of a generation who lost six years or more of their youth.
:sigh:

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Will I be pleased if we’re in League 1 next season? Absolutely.

Will I celebrate our promotion? Absolutely not - thousands of people have died, what is there to celebrate?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Bristol Rich":u27wvgqs said:
Cult Of Personality":u27wvgqs said:
No.. because this promotion will have come because over 30 thousand people have died due to a horrible virus.

There has always been bigger things in the world other than football. How did you ever enjoy football for example knowing that in the 3rd world there is terrible suffering? Faux outrage has certainly risen during this very difficult period.

Agree completely. It’s entirely possible to separate out the hideousness of a virus from taking some joy in our performance over 37 games that merits promotion. And the former also makes the latter, the little pleasures in life, the things we do that make us humans, even more important. Football shouldn’t become less important because of the virus. We should be intolerant of other things. The funding of our NHS and the pay of our nurses for one.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Totally agree with FDG and Bristol Rich. We're one point off top after 37 out of 46 games... we absolutely deserve it and those 37 games are worth celebrating as an accomplishment. Or at least being pleased about.

Anyway, the way I see it is that we'd likely have gone up as champions if football had carried on, so we're certainly not being promoted 'because' of a virus.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Devongreenowl":rdmvh4bp said:
Well at least you’ll be pleased!
I’m in a hospital bed for the second time in two weeks. Too right I will celebrate if we go up. Life goes on. Thankfully.

Get well soon.

Hopefully it isn't avian/bird flu ... or that other new one

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
AdelaideGreen":1jcjql5y said:
Devongreenowl":1jcjql5y said:
Well at least you’ll be pleased!
I’m in a hospital bed for the second time in two weeks. Too right I will celebrate if we go up. Life goes on. Thankfully.

Get well soon.

Hopefully it isn't avian/bird flu ... or that other new one

Well thank you Adelaide. I better not mention OvvL flu or I will be moderated!

On Cardiology and fortunately our hospitals are not hotbeds of Covid :thumbs:

May 1, 2011
Forest of Dean Green":2l3fep18 said:
Bristol Rich":2l3fep18 said:
Cult Of Personality":2l3fep18 said:

Agree completely. It’s entirely possible to separate out the hideousness of a virus from taking some joy in our performance over 37 games that merits promotion. And the former also makes the latter, the little pleasures in life, the things we do that make us humans, even more important. Football shouldn’t become less important because of the virus. We should be intolerant of other things. The funding of our NHS and the pay of our nurses for one.

Exactly, there were terrible things in the world more important than football before Covid19 and there will be terrible things after this more important than football.

As humans are are allowed to take pleasure in life as well, even in very trying times. Otherwise what is the point of anything?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Well exactly. Watching the footage of the VE celebrations puts things into perspective. Seems to me that many got absolutely roaring drunk back then to celebrate. I’m sure some may have felt it inappropriate, but imagine it these days.

Covid 19 is a dreadful disease, but we are going to come through it. To suggest we shouldn’t celebrate stuff which means a lot to us, seems ridiculous. I would venture to suggest that many of the most vulnerable age group, would find it so.

I had a conversation with an NHS worker who was telling me her street had a wonderful VE celebration the other day. Kids and adults alike had a lovely time. Social distancing generally adhered to. Good on em. :cool: