Worst ever signing? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst ever signing?

Jul 24, 2009
Peter Swan surely. Was meant to be the final piece in the jigsaw for a team which had finished third the previous year. The following year was an unmitigated disaster and saw Argyle relegated to the bottom division for the first time since it was reorganised into 4 divisions. Of course not solely to blame but easily easily the worst signing in my time.

Stuart Bloye

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Sep 17, 2003
There's several players from the David Kemp era who deserve a mention, although needs must at the time.
Morrys Scott (or was it the other way around?) springs to mind.

I loved David Kemp as a player but some of the football his sides played was truly shocking. I remember an away game at Oxford where we were well beaten 3-1 I think, Our manager decided to motivate his team by lying prostrate on the bench with an arm to prop up his head, presumably so he could see!

Mark Quamina was one of his worst.

However, Peter Swan for me

Jul 14, 2008
gaspargomez":ntg9gsyk said:
Mpenza was a very good player for Argyle in the few games he played. The problem was his wages versus the limited amount of game time he had. Ā£10K a week was huge for little Argyle, but I seem to remember Sturrock saying that it was pretty much the going rate for a good striker in the Championship at that time.

If you want some really sh1te Argyle players, there are too many to mention.
One of many that that spring to mind is Padi Wilson. Remember him ?
It was quite a coup for Argyle to sign Mpenza at the time as he was a player of real quality who had scored goals all over Europe. Itā€™s such a shame he got injured that season because he could have been regarded as a club legend if he has stayed fit. The season after he left us he scored 21 goals in 31 games for Sion in the Swiss first division.

Apr 1, 2009
chichestergreen":1txod1oy said:
Derek Adams

Peter Swan

Kelvin Meller

Derek Adams? Come on! For all his faults, an extremely committed and hard working manager who got us promoted as well as relegated,

Many worse players than Kelvin Mellor, though that Wembley "header" won't be easily forgotten.

Also don't know how short term signings and loans like Church, Nardiello, Douala etc., can be considered as our worst signing ever. Essentially they were tried but were unsuccessful, but didn't cost a lot overall if they were only around a couple of months.

Swan, however, is a different matter.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Jim Beglin if we're counting loan players and Steve Maclean. The latter had looked a real prospect for the top flight at one time, but was well past his best when Sturrock and Argyle had their trousers pulled down for 500k. Expensive mistake at about 100k per goal.

Unfair comment above, re Adams. You canā€™t call a man who got the club promoted, one of its worst signings, even if he did lose the plot towards the end.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
gaspargomez":2bujo6z8 said:
Mpenza was a very good player for Argyle in the few games he played. The problem was his wages versus the limited amount of game time he had. Ā£10K a week was huge for little Argyle, but I seem to remember Sturrock saying that it was pretty much the going rate for a good striker in the Championship at that time.

If you want some really sh1te Argyle players, there are too many to mention.
One of many that that spring to mind is Padi Wilson. Remember him ?

Mpenza was a necessary gamble let's put it another way 1 year contract at Ā£10 per week Ā£520,000
McLean Ā£500k fee wages Ā£5k per week 2 years basically costs double what mpenza cost
I think mpenza could have been a very shrewd investment had it come off unfortunately it didnt
However I tend to agree Peter Swan was a player we didn't need and totally destroyed a play off team into one which was relegated although I do think he takes a lot of the blame when actually Shilton was equally as culpable
Ironic if Shilton was a good manage rthatvhe never managed again !! Even managers with a poor record over multiple clubs tend to get another chance and managers with a much lower playing pedigree than Shilton so I suspect everybody knew not to touch him with a barge pole after us

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Swan. And don't forget, he cost Ā£300k!

Feb 15, 2005
1. Peter Swan
2. Sean Evers
3. Adam King
4. Harvey Lim
5. Morrys Scott
6. Eddie McElhinney

Jun 24, 2008
Gyorgy Sandor, Larrys Mabiala & Nuno Mendes... another few overseas players which barely featured.