Worst ever signing? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst ever signing?

Apr 1, 2009
mde203":ncuoavg6 said:
Considering Stapleton wouldn't give Holloway £200k to sign Charlie Adam, the £500k he gave Luggy to sign MacLean puts him right up there. Imagine if Ollie was backed with a relatively small amount and we brought in the man who almost single-handedly got Blackpool to the Premier League? We could be looking at a very different club right now.

None of that is MacLean's fault obviously, but context.is always important.

And remind us what Charlie Adam's wages were.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Must say that despite a decent goal at Luton, there were times when I was mystified as to how Dom Blizzard persuaded anyone that he had the attributes of a professional footballer.

May 3, 2017
Not the worse but I remember Alan Gow being very underwhelming when I expected a lot more. A Luggy signing I think.

Sep 6, 2006
Surprised no one has mentioned Tafari Moore. Way out of his depth and ONE of the reasons we went down last season. Couldnt even take a throw in

Aug 10, 2006
PL2 3DQ":2warkbmu said:
Website Football League World has an article about the most dreadful Argyle signings of all time... FLW ...(careful, it's laden with adverts) and lists Taribo West, Nadir Ciftci, Emile Mpenza, Rhys Griffiths and Simon Church.

You have to factor in costs so Steve MacLean (still our record signing) or Kenny Cooper or Peter Swan would be my choice for Argyle's worst ever signing.
Who would you choose?
they went back a few years then not, too many to mention but jim beglin has to be up there.

Aug 10, 2006
remember sitting next to swans mum at Bradford she told me the reason he was playing so badly was because his dog died. :lol:

Aug 8, 2013
Sacha Opinal anyone ?

Andre Blackman was laughably bad at full back, but
actually looked decent when switched to the wing in one
game (a game when Hourihane ended up playing left back).

Apr 30, 2011
Steve Evans":3g5r2xre said:
one of the worst in my opinion was peter shilton.many years past his best before date and an abysmal manager.

Maybe I'm looking through green tinted glasses or years have savaged my memories but I remember him pulling off a string of 1 on 1 saves as a player. I dont remember any particular howler either. As a manager, he may well have been tactically inept but the team he assembled was the best footballing team I have ever seen at HP. I really fell in love with Argyle.as a kid watching McCall, Castle and Dalton.

D

Darren Stoneman

Dave Regis,

I worked in a shop at the time and he came in, I was a little start struck and asked for his autograph, he smiled and agreed, the only paper I had to have was his receipt, he gladly signed it, I gave him his and change and receipt with his perfect autograph! Worst autograph signing ever.

Oct 31, 2015
Darren Stoneman":31ktbcwl said:
Dave Regis,

I worked in a shop at the time and he came in, I was a little start struck and asked for his autograph, he smiled and agreed, the only paper I had to have was his receipt, he gladly signed it, I gave him his and change and receipt with his perfect autograph! Worst autograph signing ever.

That's classic :funny:

Sep 6, 2006
Penmaster":1clrqbvl said:
Steve Evans":1clrqbvl said:
one of the worst in my opinion was peter shilton.many years past his best before date and an abysmal manager.

Maybe I'm looking through green tinted glasses or years have savaged my memories but I remember him pulling off a string of 1 on 1 saves as a player. I dont remember any particular howler either. As a manager, he may well have been tactically inept but the team he assembled was the best footballing team I have ever seen at HP. I really fell in love with Argyle.as a kid watching McCall, Castle and Dalton.

He struggled big time with kicking once the back pass rule was changed. Assembled a very good team thanks to financial backing.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Pettgreen":2b0mesqf said:
The most frustrating signing was Goodwillie. Had so much talent and what a waste.

I'm not sure it was ever his fault though. He was signed to play in a system that he was never going to suit. I remember him playing up top by himself one game & he was getting stick from the Lyndhurst for not managing to win headers against players twice his size. Very talented, very clever footballer and I think he'd score a bucket-load in a Ryan Lowe side.