Worst ever signing? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst ever signing?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Agreed Cobi.

Never ceased to amaze me how Adams either tried to bang square pegs into round holes OR refused to change the shape of the holes. It was like he acquired players without any thought about how, or if, they would fit into his system.

Nov 18, 2011
Peter Swan is in his own separate domain of badness.

In second place I'd have Kenny Cooper, despite being a loan deal didn't we pay a huge fee for him as well as paying his big wages?
The kindest thing you could say about him was that he gave us all hope that we could still become international footballers.
He was symptomatic of the slide the club suffered from that led to nearly going bust.

Apr 1, 2009
German Shepherd":3g7by1hr said:
I thought it was Luggy who tried to sign Charlie Adam for £500,000. Holloway bought him for that amount at Blackpool.

You are right, it was.

Jun 24, 2008
Ability wise, Luke Daley was awful. I would probably say the worst would have to be Kenny Cooper for me.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":2tispqcj said:
Surprised no one has mentioned Tafari Moore. Way out of his depth and ONE of the reasons we went down last season. Couldnt even take a throw in

Tafari Moore and Andre Blackman. I am not sure which out of the two had the worse positional sense.

The Kemp era is fertile ground for this. There was a bloke called Spearing on the left side - had the positional sense of a headless chicken.
Taribo - obviously. He'd surely be in anyone's list who saw him that night at Barnet.
Someone turned up from Luton during a Sturrock promotion year, didn't fancy it when he got down to Plymouth apparently. Can't remember his name and only a loan - but deserves an honourable mention.

Mike

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
In my time of supporting, the worst debut has to go to Taribo West! I was so excited he signed for us at the time, what with him being one of my favourite players on CM 01/02 for years and years. I think the debut was at home to Hull, he was absolutely all over the place; he had no concept of positional awareness and also picked up a clumsy booking! It was a very sad trip home, given we lost 1-0 and my CM hero was a let down in real life!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I will give you a name around 1980 who was a waste of a wage having signed for Argyle and that was John Peachey, who made only 3 appearances, did not score as a striker, and left Argyle for non-league. Enough said really.

Aug 5, 2015
For me it’s Pedelty and Austin, makeweights in the Mariner transfer along with Bruce Bannister who was supposed to the new Paul Mariner. All three were uniquely crap and didn’t last for five minutes. Truly awful.

May 3, 2017
Balham_Green":3p1kwu1u said:
Surprised no one has mentioned Tafari Moore. Way out of his depth and ONE of the reasons we went down last season. Couldnt even take a throw in

I didn’t think he was that bad. I just felt he was a young player who’s confidence took a knock as he made a few errors and some fans got on his back. He wasn’t ready for first team football at that time.

Aug 8, 2013
Kentishgreen":2yrie77d said:
For me it’s Pedelty and Austin, makeweights in the Mariner transfer along with Bruce Bannister who was supposed to the new Paul Mariner. All three were uniquely crap and didn’t last for five minutes. Truly awful.

I remember Pedelty as being a decent player who soon suffered a career-ending injury (or was possibly
already carrying it when he joined us). Austin was a carthorse, who probably seemed even worse to us
after 3 or 4 years of watching Mariner. What is certain is that we were truly shafted on that deal.

Sep 6, 2006
James J":33pk4jyb said:
Balham_Green":33pk4jyb said:

I didn’t think he was that bad. I just felt he was a young player who’s confidence took a knock as he made a few errors and some fans got on his back. He wasn’t ready for first team football at that time.

Nope. And never will be. Loaned out to Col. U and subbed in his only game. Says it all