There's something rotten at Home Park! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

There's something rotten at Home Park!

Feb 23, 2008
PL2 3DQ":1k7fdgd7 said:
There was a player revolt at Ross County where players complained of shouting matches, strained relationships and pumping the ball upfront and not letting the players play football (although that could be argued it's up to the manager how to play)...

Treated like servants

It was odd over the summer when Adams' agent had to refute the interest from Aberdeen, we had never heard anything from his agent in the press before that.
Adams was quiet all summer, never once speaking to the media about the new signings he made as he did the previous summer, the first time he spoke to the media was the day before pre-season training.

The agent (or indeed Adams) didn't actually say Adams didn't want the job, just that it would be unprofessional to say he wanted the job ....
"It's something that is inaccurate. To say I'm annoyed doesn't really fully encapsulate how I'm feeling about this.

"With the connections that Derek has to Aberdeen, with the connections that he has to Scottish football and indeed with the continued success he has had at Plymouth, then quite clearly he could be a target for Aberdeen. I'm not suggesting that isn't the case.

"But in terms of Derek putting himself out there, and in terms of Derek Adams' agent putting his name out there, to say that we want the Aberdeen job would be unprofessional from us.

"I don't like the fact that Derek has been caught up in this. I want to give the Plymouth Argyle fans the assurance that this is not the work of either Derek or myself.

"It's just a journalist taking a flier in Scotland."

That article was one that was also linked when it was announced we'd appointed DA and nobody knew who he was.

Odd that it was then conveniently ignored until we hit the first real signs of trouble in his spell here.

Feb 23, 2008
Ham Green":34otx2a6 said:
Ollieargyle9":34otx2a6 said:
Adams has used pretty much every interview and fan meeting to complain about his budget and building this team from scraps.

What message does that send to the team? They're his second choice players, being paid less than their opponents, for a manager who would rather have 11 much better players on the pitch if only he'd not been outbid.

The players aren't oblivious, his attempts to get his excuses in early may be backfiring. On recent evidence this team clearly isn't playing for him; there's no desire on show, four sendings off in four home games shows a complete lack of discipline and respect for this club. These haven't been bad or mis-timed tackles either; Sarcevic headbutting, a revenge tackle from Carey, a punch from Bradley, throw in Blissett being sent off in a reserve game for violent conduct. That's not bad luck!

Some serious questions need asking of Adams, this team has completely lost the plot and honestly it's not hard to see why, their manager has written them off before they've begun and to make it worse he's got his excuses sorted in advance. That's not leadership, that's covering your a*se and letting the team take the fall for you.

Cowardly performances overseen by a cowardly manager as far as I can see at present.

Quality.

But I think there's a far less complex problem - the players simply aren't good enough. Didn't we have threads on here at the end of last season describing how empty it felt to be going up? I do remember watching the home games with Blackpool and Accrington Stanley through the gaps between my fingers. Some of our performances (at home particularly) were painful to watch. Let's not pretend that something dramatic has taken place - what we're not seeing here is a group of all-conquering, swashbuckling heroes suddenly turning to mush. The writing's been on the wall since the fiasco at home to Orient.

The managers at the other promoted teams, knowing something of what awaited, made the necessary adjustments. Derek Adams, knowing far less, hasn't.

Our home form was questionable for most of last season, maybe not always results but often the performances, hardly any surprise we're struggling with pretty much the same team in a higher quality league.

Jul 20, 2015
I have followed argyle since 1966, and today I witnessed a performance that was inept. This either means the players are not good enough or the tactics are wrong? The only time there was any excitement was when we had two wingers on the pitch. The opposition had to defend! The Turk is slow can't protect the ball and lacks any commitment. How much longer can we carry on like this? Adam's excuses are laughable. He needs to look at how we are playing we need speed and attack the opposition!

Aug 4, 2011
nick_PASTIE":19l2j906 said:
Guiri Green":19l2j906 said:
It's reminiscent of the Season after the Burnley Play Off defeat. Shilton bought people in, the Dressing Room split, the Manager fell out with his Staff and Chairman. The rest is History.

True although Steve Castle was poorly and Carey hasn't contracted a sub tropical disease... as far as we know!

Castle's "illness" -Jaundice wasn't it he used as the cover up? Carey's issues are obviously affecting performances to some degree

Feb 17, 2017
In terms of issues Carey has does anyone have any more information on this I’ve not heard anything myself

May 16, 2016
Ham Green":2bhcgo5u said:
Ollieargyle9":2bhcgo5u said:
Adams has used pretty much every interview and fan meeting to complain about his budget and building this team from scraps.

What message does that send to the team? They're his second choice players, being paid less than their opponents, for a manager who would rather have 11 much better players on the pitch if only he'd not been outbid.

The players aren't oblivious, his attempts to get his excuses in early may be backfiring. On recent evidence this team clearly isn't playing for him; there's no desire on show, four sendings off in four home games shows a complete lack of discipline and respect for this club. These haven't been bad or mis-timed tackles either; Sarcevic headbutting, a revenge tackle from Carey, a punch from Bradley, throw in Blissett being sent off in a reserve game for violent conduct. That's not bad luck!

Some serious questions need asking of Adams, this team has completely lost the plot and honestly it's not hard to see why, their manager has written them off before they've begun and to make it worse he's got his excuses sorted in advance. That's not leadership, that's covering your a*se and letting the team take the fall for you.

Cowardly performances overseen by a cowardly manager as far as I can see at present.

Quality.

But I think there's a far less complex problem - the players simply aren't good enough. Didn't we have threads on here at the end of last season describing how empty it felt to be going up? I do remember watching the home games with Blackpool and Accrington Stanley through the gaps between my fingers. Some of our performances (at home particularly) were painful to watch. Let's not pretend that something dramatic has taken place - what we're not seeing here is a group of all-conquering, swashbuckling heroes suddenly turning to mush. The writing's been on the wall since the fiasco at home to Orient.

The managers at the other promoted teams, knowing something of what awaited, made the necessary adjustments. Derek Adams, knowing far less, hasn't.

I think the Players not being good enough is at the root of it all. Not being good enough is not the individuals fault, as long as he gives it his all, we cant 'blame' someone for a lack of ability. We can blame the Manager for bringing them in and thinking they were able to cut it.

It does seem strange when you consider the backgrounds and route here of a few of them. Although previously there's been comments on here of his eye for a player (wee nugget) and ability to bring out the best of others 'rejects' , today was a good example that perhaps his abilities were somewhat over exaggerated.

Jan 3, 2013
Bye Derek ...l,good to know you....young veg been found out....Donny were awful, the team aren't playing for you

G

Greenskin

chunkymonkey78":rq6e3q0n said:
PL2 3DQ":rq6e3q0n said:
There was a player revolt at Ross County where players complained of shouting matches, strained relationships and pumping the ball upfront and not letting the players play football (although that could be argued it's up to the manager how to play)...

Treated like servants

It was odd over the summer when Adams' agent had to refute the interest from Aberdeen, we had never heard anything from his agent in the press before that.
Adams was quiet all summer, never once speaking to the media about the new signings he made as he did the previous summer, the first time he spoke to the media was the day before pre-season training.

The agent (or indeed Adams) didn't actually say Adams didn't want the job, just that it would be unprofessional to say he wanted the job ....
"It's something that is inaccurate. To say I'm annoyed doesn't really fully encapsulate how I'm feeling about this.

"With the connections that Derek has to Aberdeen, with the connections that he has to Scottish football and indeed with the continued success he has had at Plymouth, then quite clearly he could be a target for Aberdeen. I'm not suggesting that isn't the case.

"But in terms of Derek putting himself out there, and in terms of Derek Adams' agent putting his name out there, to say that we want the Aberdeen job would be unprofessional from us.

"I don't like the fact that Derek has been caught up in this. I want to give the Plymouth Argyle fans the assurance that this is not the work of either Derek or myself.

That article was one that was also linked when it was announced we'd appointed DA and nobody knew who he was.

Odd that it was then conveniently ignored until we hit the first real signs of trouble in his spell here.

Indeed. Arch Brent defender in slag the manager shock.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Greenskin":29rcchie said:
chunkymonkey78":29rcchie said:
PL2 3DQ":29rcchie said:

Treated like servants

Pathetic!

G

Greenskin

PL2 3DQ":d2j3swik said:
Greenskin":d2j3swik said:
chunkymonkey78":d2j3swik said:
PL2 3DQ":d2j3swik said:

Treated like servants

Pathetic!

Glad you've had a moment of self actualisation at last.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Greenskin":2lf5pdsv said:
chunkymonkey78":2lf5pdsv said:
PL2 3DQ":2lf5pdsv said:

Treated like servants

This has nothing to do with Brent vs Adams. I'm not sure why people are unable to see beyond their own personal vendetta. People claim to have concerns about the club, and are too busy arguing about an office to look at the actual concerns.

Jan 3, 2013
We all know the problem with Carey.....the wheelsxare coming off Argo.......Exeter champions, Argo bottom, now act as a chairman mr Brent

Apr 15, 2008
London
This is all a bit defeatist - it isn't even October yet. And I couldn't care less about gossip. Leave that to fans of Love Island. Having said that, we look out of our depth of the pitch. Plenty of time to correct it, but, as we've seen with recent seasons, losing can become a habit and League 2 isn't an easy league to get out of.