Adams linked with Aberdeen job (update - McInnes stays) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams linked with Aberdeen job (update - McInnes stays)

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
I thought he was keen to manage in England. Surely an ambitious manager like Derek would want to climb further up the English pyramid?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think Adams is a man who likes to finish a job and I doubt if he feels getting us promoted to League One is job done.
He's already proven himself in Scotland, albeit with an unfashionable team, and he hasn't yet really showed what he can do in England.

These vacancies will always arise and after signing a new four year contract just 10 months ago why would he jump ship when the first offer comes along?

That said, it is unsettling, especially at a time when we are attempting to attract players for the new season and the 6,000 fans who have bought season tickets have put their faith in Adams and it will be hugely disappointing and a let down if he leaves.

It's the price of success.

Mar 14, 2009
Three things that might see him return to Scotland.

1. He is ambitious. Whatever you say about Scottish football, it is top flight football and with Rangers struggling like they are it's a chance to be a challenger for the league title. Also there is a route into Europe. Adams will know given how limited our resources are that after league one, without serious financial backing, it will be very hard to do anything in the championship, but survive.

2. He did state in an article last year/start of this year that he wants to manage in Scotland again at some point.

3. He might feel he has unfinished business after what happened last time.

You can say Argyle are bigger than Aberdeen but realistically they have a chairman it appears with more money and can challenge for and possibly win either the Scottish league cup and/or fa cup.

However, Adams l thought was quite a loyal man. He seems to be grateful for the route back into football Argyle have given him. I don't think compensation will be they key.

Its not only if Aberdeen wants him but if he feels he can take Argyle further.. Holloway didn't after saying wonderful things about Argyle as Manager.

Is Adams any different? I hope so.

Is Aberdeen going to give him the power and flexibility to do what he wants at the club? Adams has a lot of control here at PAFC. He is just embarking on a project. The trouble is does his heart remain for Scottish football.

Apr 1, 2009
GreatYarmouthGreen":1o5swe9y said:
Knibbsworth":1o5swe9y said:
jimbo_the_green":1o5swe9y said:
I would like to think he's more ambitious than to be interested in a slug out with rangers for 2nd spot in the spl

Yeah, a club like Aberdeen is paltry compared to Plymouth Argyle. What's so great about Ibrox and Celtic Park, when DA can come to Wimbledon away and Fleetwood with us? What's so fancy about European Cup opposition when you can play Swansea U21s in some weird, regionalised, waste of time trophy?

The fancy European opposition is if Aberdeen get through the tedious and often difficult qualifying group stages sometimes against obscure Latvian, Irish and Polish clubs.

Oh and 2 FA cup games against Liverpool. Granted you aren't always going to get big teams but I don't think there is that much between the clubs as people believe. Adams has already been against both Celtic and Rangers many times both as a player and manager.

You totally ignore the draw to DA of it being HIS club. It might even be the club he dreams of managing more than any other. He will have happy memories of growing up with his dad working at the club under SAF during Aberdeen's golden era. As for a comparison, Aberdeen have won a fair few trophies over the years, including a European one, certainly exceeding whatever resides in Argyle's silverware cabinet.

I doubt he'll get the job on this occasion.

Apr 1, 2009
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ujmd28g said:

1. He is ambitious. Whatever you say about Scottish football, it is top flight football and with Rangers struggling like they are it's a chance to be a challenger for the league title. Also there is a route into Europe. Adams will know given how limited our resources are that after league one, without serious financial backing, it will be very hard to do anything in the championship, but survive.

2. He did state in an article last year/start of this year that he wants to manage in Scotland again at some point.

You can say Argyle are bigger than Aberdeen but realistically they have a chairman it appears with more money and can challenge for and possibly win either the Scottish league cup and/or fa cup.

However, Adams l thought was quite a loyal man. He seems to be grateful for the route back into football Argyle have given him. I don't think compensation will be they key.

Its not only if Aberdeen wants him but if he feels he can take Argyle further.. Holloway didn't after saying wonderful things about Argyle as Manager.

Is Aberdeen going to give him the power and flexibility to do what he wants at the club? Adams has a lot of control here at PAFC. He is just embarking on a project. The trouble is does his heart remain for Scottish football.

In what way can you say that Argyle are bigger than Aberdeen?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
DA is an Aberdeen fan and wants the job according to the Herald

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
xmastree":hljt36ic said:
GreatYarmouthGreen":hljt36ic said:
Knibbsworth":hljt36ic said:
jimbo_the_green":hljt36ic said:
I would like to think he's more ambitious than to be interested in a slug out with rangers for 2nd spot in the spl

Yeah, a club like Aberdeen is paltry compared to Plymouth Argyle. What's so great about Ibrox and Celtic Park, when DA can come to Wimbledon away and Fleetwood with us? What's so fancy about European Cup opposition when you can play Swansea U21s in some weird, regionalised, waste of time trophy?

The fancy European opposition is if Aberdeen get through the tedious and often difficult qualifying group stages sometimes against obscure Latvian, Irish and Polish clubs.

Oh and 2 FA cup games against Liverpool. Granted you aren't always going to get big teams but I don't think there is that much between the clubs as people believe. Adams has already been against both Celtic and Rangers many times both as a player and manager.

You totally ignore the draw to DA of it being HIS club. It might even be the club he dreams of managing more than any other. He will have happy memories of growing up with his dad working at the club under SAF during Aberdeen's golden era. As for a comparison, Aberdeen have won a fair few trophies over the years, including a European one, certainly exceeding whatever resides in Argyle's silverware cabinet.

I doubt he'll get the job on this occasion.

You are right about it being his club and that is the one sticking point about all of this.

In times gone by, yes Aberdeen have got more in the silverware locker than Argyle I grant you that. But in terms of size of the clubs I don't think there is too much in it. Both have healthy support sizes. The EFL generally is a far tougher test for any manager in what is cutthroat times. Adams character and management skills are ones that really excel in difficult situations and at this stage of his career I don't think he'll get that quite as much at Aberdeen. That being said, as Derek McInnes has shown going to a team like Aberdeen and being quite successful can propel you into quite a big job.

Who knows. Another waiting game commences.

Jul 3, 2013
IJN":20t3gdfl said:
monkeywrench":20t3gdfl said:

I thought he was a Rangers fan!

Erold says he is Aberdeen fan, if he gets an interview and attends then We should sack him off regardless of the outcome.

Mar 14, 2009
xmastree":2can71x9 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2can71x9 said:

In what way can you say that Argyle are bigger than Aberdeen?

I was saying some might say that BUT putting the case that Aberdeen will have more money because of their chairman and a chance of winning cups.....

Apr 1, 2009
IJN":32rhzluk said:
monkeywrench":32rhzluk said:

Thinking about it, I'm sure I've heard that too! But there is a strong connection with Aberdeen.

Jan 3, 2013
Stiffler":33jqano0 said:
IJN":33jqano0 said:
monkeywrench":33jqano0 said:

Erold says he is Aberdeen fan, if he gets an interview and attends then We should sack him off regardless of the outcome.

Don't believe anything the herald says, you're quite correct ian newell.......he is a Rangers fan.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
One of our biggest games ever was playing a Real Madrid XI in a pre season friendly, one of their biggest games ever was beating them in a European final.

They're a bigger club, just hamstrung by their league. Same way that Ajax are a far bigger club than Southampton, but Saints can probably poach their better players.

May 8, 2011
To me it seems out of character for Adams to issue a 'come and get me plea'.
I would think he is too confident in his own ability to do that sort of thing.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Knibbsworth":2hravyhg said:
jimbo_the_green":2hravyhg said:

When you compare our worst with their best of course it'll sound bad :roll:

Try trips to the likes of Ewood Park, Fratton Park, Valley Parade, The Valley. All former Premier League grounds!

Compare a couple of preliminary round Europa League games with the FA Cup and potential trips to Anfield on offer.

I'm hugely biased but any manager with an ounce of ambition would surely choose the English game and DA strikes me as a manager with ambition. He's achieved all there is to be achieved for Scottish club's that aren't called Celtic. We may not be the biggest club in England but any success he brings us ups his stock in England, stock that could earn him Championship or Premier League work. They are of course the bigger club but the bigger picture is English football.