Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Jul 6, 2011
Possibly too many hard fought games in a small amount of time. I think everyone was knackered, we need to relax, regroup and bury Bury on Saturday :greensmile:

Cobi, you comment like an old frightened woman sometimes, nothing personal against women, I know some scary women, in fact there's one downstairs :sad: Gotta get a grip mate, they'll all be refreshed by Saturday, play much better and you would have changed your tune.
As they say hard won point, time to move on.

Aug 5, 2009
And I thought smalley and allessandra looked good together and certainly our best attacking option. Smalley must start ahead of banton on Saturday

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
After the Lord Mayor's show.

Stevenage were very different opposition to Exeter and we couldn't cope, we escaped thanks to a last minute penalty from an awful ref which proved to be only our third shot on target.

Stevenage are a robust side who like to use strong-arm tactics, waste time, fall down at the slightest touch and use gamesmanship.
Against a side like that the referee needs to be strong, unfortunately Kevin Johnson had an absolute nightmare, the worst refereeing display I've ever seen, he was equally bad for both sides although he didn't see the elbows flying in from the Stevenage players
He's just come up from the Conference and this was his third game in the Football League. He allowed handballs to go unpunished and yet gave them against us, he lost control of the game early doors and Stevenage seized on his inexperience.
Bizarrely he did actually give the one handball that counted - our last minute penalty, even then there was confusion at what he actually awarded, was it a free-kick? Was it a goal kick? Thankfully it was a penalty to us which Smalley converted.

Norburn and Thomas were missing and we only had six subs while Stevenage could only manage four subs.
The first half was scrappy and stop-start, thanks to the whistle-happy ref, we created just one chance of note - when Reid headed wide from a good position.
The main talking point was when O'Connor lost the ball in midfield, a Stevenage forward advanced and had only Mellor to beat, the right-back got in a tackle but seemed to also fall over at the same time and handle the ball. At that stage he was the last man, another referee might have given the red card but this ref might have taken into account that Nelson and Hartley were closing in. I thought it should have been red.

The goal from Stevenage in the second half came from a mistake by McHugh, he tried to let the ball run out of play but a Stevenage player nipped in and crossed the ball to Calcutt who headed in, we had enough defenders to have dealt with that cross, a soft goal to concede.

Reid must be nursing an injury because he was subbed again with Morgan, Allen and Smalley all coming on in a "Holloway last throw of the dice" scenario from Sheridan.

We didn't create hardly any pressure or momentum and chances were at a premium until that last gasp penalty.

Until we learn how to beat robust teams like Stevenage we will never get much success in this league, we will come up against several sides like them this season and need to find a way to stand up to them. That said, we did nick a point when we should have been beaten.
Exeter were a nice easy team to play against compared to Stevenage.

Banton was poor and was a better at defending than attacking. Harvey showed a few nice touches but was largely anonymous. Reid came up against a very good centre back in Dembele and just could not get going.
Alessandra took an early (unpunished) elbow to his head and struggled after that.

McHugh is still a problem, he has moments where he switches off. Mellor had a good game and in a match where it's difficult to pick a best player he would come close.

Cox was dominated by Walton (who got an excellent reception), O'Connor was the pick of the midfield and looks a player.
Nelson was solid while Hartley surprisingly made a few errors.

Overall a point gained, thanks to a terrible ref - however bizarre that seems.

Entertainment 3/10.

McCormick 6, Mellor 7, Nelson 7, Hartley 5, McHugh 4, Banton 4, Cox 5, O'Connor 7, Alessandra 5, Harvey 5, Reid 5, Allen 5, Morgan 5, Smalley 6.

Aug 22, 2006
briangreen":2acy2d1e said:
MAZZA26":2acy2d1e said:
Sounds poor. Have we adequately replaced the likes of Blanchard, berry, and gurrieri? Sounds like we haven't and that's without touching on our central midfield problem... One which needed addressing before Hourihane left!

Is that a joke?
Mellor is much better than Berry, who by the way still hasn't got a club. Gurrieri as inconsistent a player as I've ever seen and Blanchard just ultimately became cr@p personified and he hasn't a club either.

Thanks for the summary but you didn't answer my question fully. Mellor better than berry, fine, I will go with that, what about the others? We've performed very well in one half, ok in 2, and below par in 2.

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
SteveC":3scsexd4 said:
Ref was appalling, argyle were appalling, walton still waves his arms like a big girl and I think banton was playing for them tonight.

Horrible game against a horrible team. Why could we not see that hoofball was just playing into their hands.

Good ending though - hopefully we'll get back to playing football again on Saturday.
Totally agree, Stevenage are a horrid team that play horrid football, made me laugh when there manager was waving his arms about blowing the whistle, then we scored, great end and I hope Stevenage get relegated.
A poor performance tonight but then the opposition didn't give us any space.just goes to show how bad the 6 toeds are .......

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
SteveC":1g3lg2nb said:
And I thought smalley and allessandra looked good together and certainly our best attacking option. Smalley must start ahead of banton on Saturday

Is Smalley left sided?

Calls for him to replace Banton but I thought he was right sided, surely fans are calling for Sheridan to do what they criticise him for - round pegs in square holes.

Jun 11, 2012
McCormick - 7

Mellor - 6
Nelson - 6
Hartley - 6
McHugh - 4

O'Connor - 7
Cox - 4

Alessandra - 5
Harvey - 5
Banton - 4

Reid - 5

We looked flat. Really flat.

Stevenage were... Meh. We should be beating them.

Not particularly motivated to say much more. :lol:

Aug 5, 2009
Cheshiregreen on that showing banton is about as far removed from an effective left winger as anyone could possibly imagine! I get your point, but the whole left side looked very very weak

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Both teams cancelled each other out and the game had 0-0 written all over it until a terrible bit of defending by McHugh who allowed a cross into our box that was finished well.

The ref was atrocious to both teams and totally inconsistent throughout and constantly pinged Reuben whilst letting their centre backs get away with similar challenges. He allowed their forward to haul Allen off the ball and run clean through before Allen got back with an incredible tackle as he was about to shoot

They were a very big and powerfull side who were well organised and completely shut us down and we never got anything out of our creative front 4 with Banton fortunate to play the whole 90(8) mins.

The longer the game went on the more desperate we became sending hopefull punts in the general direction of our forwards in hope more than expectation.

Smalley was put out on the right wing and won a lot in the air and looked powerfull so it was a mystery he wasn't put through the middle instead of Allesandra late on.

didnt see What the pen was given for but their team and fans went mental. It seemed kind of fitting that a controversial decision should allow us to steal a point but Their time wasting cost them.
A point most definitely gained from a game as different to Saturday as you can get.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i thoroughly enjoyed this "battle" against a miserable but effective little club that did very good homework especially on reuben,he barely touched the ball but that is credit to stevenage.i thoght borough were just the better side particularly when whelpdale chased that lost cause to cross for the goal,i think luke assumed it was going for a goal kick but we will live and learn.i thought the full backs had good matches and our centre backs will be the envy of many sides this season with hartley outstanding.lee cox and tyler harvey played well but tired and o'connor was magnificent.messrs alessandra and banton?oh dear,hapless and absolutely no goal threat at all,at least jason put in a great cross in the 1st half which rueben couldn't get a good contact on.good to see river allen come on again,going to be great to see him and tyler in the premiership,morgan caused problems with his height and was brought on at the right time,dean smalley looked useful with a very brave penalty which he put away assuredly and he looks as good in the air as the late steve cooper.overall i think we got what we deserved,a point against a slightly better side but they administered the cynical side of football over and over again and therefore i am particularly happy that our sporting approached overcame this bunch of cheats!a special thanks to the stevenage manager for selecting walton,he helped us frequently with his normal whingeing at his team mates when he gave the ball away and of course his lack of fitness and commitment.talking of fitness we seem to have improved and i think matched stevenage.my ratings'

Luke McCormick - 6
Kelvin Mellor - 6
Curtis Nelson - 8
Peter Hartley - 9
Carl McHugh - 6
Anthony O'Connor - 8
Lee Cox - 7
Tyler Harvey - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 3
Jason Banton - 3
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Ben Purrington - unused
River Allen - 6
Dominic Blizzard - unused
Dean Smalley - 6
Marvin Morgan - 5

Mar 22, 2012
woking_green":29fyopod said:
McHugh shouldn't start at left back anymore. Get Purrington back in!

:iagree: Was impressed with him last season and you'd think the lad will only be getting better with experience. McHugh is evidently struggling in that position and Sheridan must see it. Personally I think Ben is more deserving of a place than the messiah

Stevenage were the sort of dirty, nasty team that lower-league football has become (in)famous for. We played their game rather than making them play our game: poor performance generally. Got a bit better after the substitutes were introduced but the point flatters us.

Ratings:

McCormick - 7/10 - Solid enough when called upon, didn't have a lot of difficult stuff to deal with.

Mellor - 7 - A few slips but generally a good all-around game. Better defensively than in attack, should get forward a bit more for my liking.
Nelson - 7 - Usual, quiet, composed, good game - barring a few lapses in concentration.
Hartley - 5 - Think he's generally a good player but was quite poor tonight. Didn't seem steady on his feet and lost concentration too often. He was okay with the physical stuff but not brilliant. Very poor on the ball as well.
McHugh - 4 - Feels unfair criticising someone so obviously playing in a position outside his comfort zone. Purrington in please, leave McHugh to play centre-half.

Cox - 5 - Uncharacteristically poor game: looked unfit and a bit of a passenger. Some good tackles were thrown in however.
O'Connor - 6 - Good at winning the ball and picking up scraps in midfield but his passing was shocking.

Alessandra - 7 - Didn't have enough touches for me but he was dangerous when he did get some. Looked to take players on and often beat them, even if end product was sometimes lacking. Good game.
Harvey - 4 - Largely anonymous and too lightweight. It's to be expected of someone his age he'll mix the sublime (Exeter reportedly - I wasn't there) with the ridiculous (tonight).
Banton - 4 - Crap apart from one good shot. Tried to take too many players on at once, didn't pass, didn't show any bravery in challenging for loose balls.

Reid - 6 - Battled hard with little support, not helped by the fussy ref. Stood around with his hands on his hips too much though.

Subs:

Morgan - 5 - Worked his bollocks off; did bugger-all else but his long limbs and work rate make him an asset in the right role, ie. coming off the bench.
Allen - 7 - Positive after coming on, showed neat touches and saved us from oblivion with a tremendous tackle. Showed more in his cameo than any of our other so-called centre midfielders.
Smalley - 7 (MotM) - Won everything in the air, held it up and showed intelligence in his appearance. Not the best penalty but it counted. Had the most positive impact on us - he's not particularly tall but he's strong as an ox and leaps like a salmon so he wins a lot of headers. Marvin Morgan is about five inches taller but Smalley is better in the air

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
cheshiregreen":39qqlusx said:
SteveC":39qqlusx said:

Is Smalley left sided?

Calls for him to replace Banton but I thought he was right sided, surely fans are calling for Sheridan to do what they criticise him for - round pegs in square holes.

No but Louis can play left and Smalley right or in the hole

Smalley was good against Cambridge and from what I here again tonight Personally think he gives us an added threat in the air

Banton for me after seeing two games is lacking in confidence still,can see him never fulfilling his potential

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
SteveC.

Going to Bury on Saturday and I expect Banton to start. I think he needs a goal to boost his confidence, although I saw lots of positive comments about him on Saturday.

He is an impact player, IMHO, but since he returned to us earlier this year he has generally failed to make an impact.

Mar 23, 2008
That has to be the worst refereeing performance ever witnessed. Then again we wernt much better against a dirty, time wasting, small time club managed by a fool whose push on Harvey went unpunished. Bad day at the office for most but Smalley made a good impact and grabbed us a point, we move on.