Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":8psx0can said:
You're not suggesting that Janners are apathetic, surely?

I agree with some of your points, but I haven't seen a 'nasty' team like that since Sheff Utd in the CCC.

IF Argyle ever played like that, I wouldn't come to watch them, it's as simple as that.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS I normally have respect for what Chris Errington reports but reading his report on the stevenage game he must have had his eyes closed. As for reidy's continuing hand balls I didn't realise that the hands and arms were attached to his nipples.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Consider that Stevenage brought down a very small amount of fans. Then consider that it was the third game in a week for many fans. Then consider that it was one of the highest Tuesday night attendances we've had in years. All of those things factored in, I actually think the turnout from home fans was very good rather than bad.

Oct 24, 2010
War of attrition against a powerful, aggressive long ball team. We couldn't get our passing going and Norburn was badly missed, in retrospect we would probably been better starting with Allen instead of Harvey in a more compact midfield.We never looked like scoring and were reduced in the end to humping in long crosses which the Stevenage defence dealt with easily until one of them got bored heading the ball and decided to punch it away instead. Stevenage were the most negative team I've seen for a long time and if it wan't for their freak goal you felt they could still be playing now and not scored.

I felt one positive from the game was River Allen. He clearly coped well with the pace and physicality of the game and kept trying to pass the ball when the crowd were howling for it to be humped forward. The lad has attitude which is great to see.

Also a word for Banton who deserves every credit for keep looking for the ball and not hiding even though he had a real nightmare of a game. Apparently he even wanted to take the penalty, probably a good job he didn't but it does show character.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
If we were to play like Stevenage win games 1-0 and get promotion I don't think there would be many complaints.

This is a tough league and you have got to be able to mix it, we lost because the whole team was off the exact opposite to the Exeter game, no good moaning about the referee who was diabolical learn from it now move on to get a good result against a very good Bury side on Saturday.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Seems like we used one of our get out of jail cards last night. A bit of good fortune perhaps but what Stevenage deserved by the sounds of it. It's nights like last night with Westley and co that the empty terrace behind the dug outs does us no favours. Second home game in 4 days so about 5,500 home fans isn't that bad in all fairness. I can't bring myself to go along with the misleading claim that it was our second biggest home Tuesday gate for so long etc. when the goalposts have been moved to include probably 500 or more season ticket holders who weren't there last night. So in old money 5,5000 isn't bad at all. We really need a point on Saturday to make up for 2 dropped at home to keep in touch. We have been handed a fairly tough start to the season but after 7 or 8 games most of the pacesetters tend to hang around all season so it's important to not fall off the pace too much.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":nbov0e2n said:
We didn't lose Mike.

Should have said lost the battle/fight still shell shocked from a display I thought was behind us.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
jerryatricjanner":2x4jhntc said:
Seems like we used one of our get out of jail cards last night. A bit of good fortune perhaps but what Stevenage deserved by the sounds of it. It's nights like last night with Westley and co that the empty terrace behind the dug outs does us no favours. Second home game in 4 days so about 5,500 home fans isn't that bad in all fairness. I can't bring myself to go along with the misleading claim that it was our second biggest home Tuesday gate for so long etc. when the goalposts have been moved to include probably 500 or more season ticket holders who weren't there last night. So in old money 5,5000 isn't bad at all. We really need a point on Saturday to make up for 2 dropped at home to keep in touch. We have been handed a fairly tough start to the season but after 7 or 8 games most of the pacesetters tend to hang around all season so it's important to not fall off the pace too much.

Couldn't agree more. How much more of a distraction must it have been for opposition managers when there was a partisan crowd behind them...

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I honestly think we need to cut Banton some slack. He is the type of player who will make things happen in games (e.g. in the first-half yesterday he went past the full-back and crossed the ball on a couple of occasions and also cut inside for a shot once). But he is playing in League 2 because he is inexperienced and inconsistent. If he wasn't then he would be playing at a higher level because he has skill and trickery on the ball (at times). What I did like is that he kept trying (which, sadly, makes it all the more obvious when what he tries fails) and he has also clearly worked on tracking back and defensive work. So, for now, we must expect him to be inconsistent but if we stick with him there is every chance that he will become progressively more consistent and dangerous.

The same idea applies to McHugh I think. There is the basis for a good player in him, even at left-back, but that will only emerge if he continues to build his experience. Personally, I have never been particularly convinced by Purrington (who is even more inexperienced) so I would stick with McHugh for now.

It seems to me thought that we are completely obviously crying out for at least one more midfield player. When you end a game with a midfield of O'Connor, Allen, Banton and Alessandra then it is pretty obvious the squad is lacking. We've now lost Cox and Norburn in successive games and cannot expect to always get a positive outcome with Harvey and Allen as their main replacements.

I think Mellor is settling in pretty well and seems to be a player who is quite thoughtful with the ball.

One other thing. I give a lot of credit to the players like night for never, ever giving up. Okay, so perhaps this should be a given, but we all know how sometimes teams just drift to defeat when up against it. Last night you got the feeling that the players would keep trying and keep pushing for the equaliser to the very end. And so they did.

Doc, I didn't think banton was atrocious last night, he did plenty of cutting in but seemed scared to let it go. He tracked back well and defended when he needed to. What fans mean is he didn't score a hattrick so he was gash.

I can't believe how ppl really slag players off
Constantly. That was definitely dire last night but as you say we battled and persevered and at the end of the day a point is a point no matter how scrappy it is.

Sep 23, 2005
The Doctor":3e9afmxw said:
I honestly think we need to cut Banton some slack. He is the type of player who will make things happen in games (e.g. in the first-half yesterday he went past the full-back and crossed the ball on a couple of occasions and also cut inside for a shot once). But he is playing in League 2 because he is inexperienced and inconsistent. If he wasn't then he would be playing at a higher level because he has skill and trickery on the ball (at times). What I did like is that he kept trying (which, sadly, makes it all the more obvious when what he tries fails) and he has also clearly worked on tracking back and defensive work. So, for now, we must expect him to be inconsistent but if we stick with him there is every chance that he will become progressively more consistent and dangerous.

The same idea applies to McHugh I think. There is the basis for a good player in him, even at left-back, but that will only emerge if he continues to build his experience. Personally, I have never been particularly convinced by Purrington (who is even more inexperienced) so I would stick with McHugh for now.

It seems to me thought that we are completely obviously crying out for at least one more midfield player. When you end a game with a midfield of O'Connor, Allen, Banton and Alessandra then it is pretty obvious the squad is lacking. We've now lost Cox and Norburn in successive games and cannot expect to always get a positive outcome with Harvey and Allen as their main replacements.

I think Mellor is settling in pretty well and seems to be a player who is quite thoughtful with the ball.

One other thing. I give a lot of credit to the players like night for never, ever giving up. Okay, so perhaps this should be a given, but we all know how sometimes teams just drift to defeat when up against it. Last night you got the feeling that the players would keep trying and keep pushing for the equaliser to the very end. And so they did.

Yes agree with all of Doc's and Esmer's comments. Banton kept at it despite, along with so many others, having a nightmare.

I disagree with those of you who thought Stevenage were a poor side. Poor entertainment value for us obviously but they were strong, efficient, well organised and worked extremely hard to the plan set them by their manager. Fair play to them. We didn't have either the guile or the heart to break them down but we did persevere.

A point was indeed a bonus.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not sure that Argyle fans are up to having Banton.

He's a magician, he does good stuff and bad stuff but he frightens the hell out of the opposition even when he's not at his best.

Gifted player, and long may he play in our team.

Oct 24, 2010
dunlop":7slbxwmv said:
IJN":7slbxwmv said:
We didn't lose Mike.

Should have said lost the battle/fight still shell shocked from a display I thought was behind us.
We didn't lose the battle, appalling game but we finished the stronger. It wasn't a good day at the office for us but we are capable of much better, Stevenage aren't.