Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
That was a physical game that had been researched well by Stevenage. Too much picking on our lighter players by PASOTI tonight. They were never going to shine in that environment.

It was up to us to change our play to beat that preparation and we could not do that with the players available.

The answer against bulk is experience and options. We lack both on the current squad.

We got a point be happy. No point comparing to a local Derby full of inexperienced lightweights.

Shocking ref summed it up.

Sep 2, 2008
Looking at what Shezza has at his disposal I think he has to play 4-3-3. Back 4 picks itself, Norburn,Cox,O'Connor in the middle. Smalley,Reid,Alessandra up front. It was a terrible game to watch. Stevenage done a professional job on us. They were well set up. Also disciplined, strong and determined in the tackle. People moaned about the ref but I thought he did a decent job. He got his cards spot on, especially Mellor, and was correct in giving the peno despite no help from his lino. We were lucky to get anything out of that game. Shezza needs to take a bit of the blame for that performance as far as I'm concerned. He knew Stevenage were a more physical side than a footballing side yet he still chose to put lightweights like Banton and Harvey in the mix - bad preparation in my book.

Jun 8, 2014
First of all, before I make any comments about what the game was like, can I just say that was the worst refereeing performance from any referee I think I've ever seen. Missed blatant handballs, gave handballs that never were, pulled up nothing challenges and ignored the harder, tougher tackles that warranted fouls. Ignored head injuries, failed to spot the things he needed to see. An awful performance, and not just biased, it was either way. How Mellor wasn't sent off I'll never know. Hope both clubs complain and the man is never allowed to referee a football match.

Now, onto the game, it was exactly what I expected. A tough, nitty, gritty game where we were made to battle for everything. It was a stereotypical Westley side. You get them in the lower leagues and they aren't pleasant, but hoofing it to Reid was never going to work. Especially as Harvey was mostly anonymous and Alessandra couldn't get into the game. Banton was exceptionally poor, should be dropped before anyone else. But as mentioned, the main problem for me was missing Norburn. Nobody in that team who can play that defence splitting pass, or find those little pockets of space. With Hourihane we didn't need a playmaker but what is the point in having two ball winning midfielders in there? Simply, there isn't. It's sheer bad luck that Norburn was injured, which makes you wonder if we need a new central midfielder.

It will take time for Harvey to develop, but today I thought he wasn't good. Partly through fault of his own, partly for the fact our defence tended to hoof the ball as hard as they could to Reid. If it wasn't Reid, it was Alessandra. I mean, what is the point in using someone of his stature as a target man? Absolutely zilch. If we kept the ball on the floor a bit more then we would have got Harvey and Alessandra more into the game, which then would have helped Reid.

Specifically today there was nobody making runs. Last season Reid worked best alongside Alessandra, so why not put the two together and try again? You could see when Reid won the ball he was looking to release it early or find a pass and there was nobody. Banton and Alessandra were stuck out on the wing and Harvey was too far back. If he's going to play with Cox and O'Connor then he HAS to get further up the pitch and play more behind the striker. Otherwise there's no point him being there. Stevenage are a well drilled side but there were evident gaps at times and those are the ones that you really want Harvey to be filling. Even if a man markes him it then creates space elsewhere. We were far too easy to defend against, the ball was flung to Reid or Alessandra and then when we got the ball on the ground we were penalised for an absolutely nothing handball. Same with Morgan, who was punished too harshly and then when he would win the ball in the air there was no one in support to pick up the ball or make runs after being headed on. You get the idea, a very one dimensional attack.

In terms of being one dimensional, a special shout-out must go to Jason Banton. A couple of good little turns in the first half which resulted in crosses that were cleared, but credit he had the good sense to do well. Has to be the most infuriating player I've ever seen however. Why does any player feel the need to beat a man, turn around let him catch up, and then try and beat him again? It doesn't make any sense to me. I think he should be dropped, make him fight for his place. Lost count of how much he lost the ball, and we must have better, more hard-working options in the squad? Perhaps not, a new winger is an absolute must.

Defensively we weren't bad, Mellor impressed me as he's absolutely sound defensively and McHugh in my opinion doesn't look that bad at left back, especially bearing in mind he was up against one of the league's top wingers. It was arguably his fault for the goal but why there was a man unmarked with two centre backs free I'm not sure. Never in a million years should the forward be allowed to win that. Nelson did well and defends excellently, but Hartley didn't look good at all. I did wonder if he was trying too hard to impress, to try and prove to his old manager that he made a mistake releasing him. Whatever the reason, he didn't play well, and it wasn't pretty to watch. On an extensive note, why did the Stevenage fans boo him? Thought he left peacefully, seemed a bit random to me.

McCormick was alright, not a huge amount to do but dealt with whatever came his way well. Couple of good saves and several very important catches. He did well, we really do have a top keeper. Nothing he could do about the goal as it was what I thought poor defending. Will look again, only thing I wondered is if he could have come out and claimed the ball. That's not to say he should or could have even, a mere 'I'll need to check and watch it back to see'. I don't think he could have done.

As for the subs, didn't see Smalley do much, decent penalty though. That first goal is very important, would be tempted to start him on Saturday regardless. Morgan battled and worked hard but he's the sort that will do much better with a partner, not Reid, but somebody. He didn't have that, meaning when he won the ball there was little he could do. Worked hard, and he's definitely growing on me but he needs the support, as does Reid really. Allen is a feisty one, not sure how far he'll go professionally but it's great to see him getting stuck in and fighting for everything, not overwhelmed by anything. That tackle on the guy through on goal at the end was absolutely first class, especially seeing as the guy threw him to the floor before. Good to see, I'm happy for him to continue with cameo appearances, it will aid him much better than 90 minutes every few weeks, which tend not to have the best effect. For now though, he's doing well.

Overall an extremely poor game coupled with equally bad officiating. It tends to be very tricky to beat those sorts of teams at their own game so I'm not really sure why we resorted to that. I totally understand hoofing it late in the game when you're desperate to make things happen but there was no need to play like that in the first half. Even when we've just conceded there's plenty of time. You need to keep a calm thing and play to your strengths, which we didn't do. We're a team who can be good on the ball and keep it on the deck and play some nice football, which made the match even more disappointing. One positive, can't fault the determination. Not good football but bar Banton, everyone chucked everything on the line to try and get us the game. I just don't feel we tried it in the right way.

One final note from me. It's not those games where it's been a good match but you've come away with a loss that make you question your supporting, but rather those sorts of horrendous, poorly officiated games. Very hard to take in, you just have to tell yourself it wont be like that all season. I had to do that a lot tonight. Not good, but oh well. Sometimes you need a bit of luck, and we got that right at the end.

Onwards and upwards.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Vile team, glad they didn't take all three points would have been a travesty to football.

Cheating gits, who knew all the black arts,

Move on to a proper club on Saturday.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Up until the 97th minute, Stevenage gave a performance that gets you out of League 2. Ugly as sin, but effective. It wasn't to be for them however as we got out of jail. If we are to succeed in this league, we simply have to be better than that. These teams have to be broken down and I'm afraid we were devoid of ideas.

Best player on the pitch ? Their number 3 - won absolutely everything and a cut above anything else on display.

H

Harry Perkins

Paven":ekdsoc34 said:
First of all, before I make any comments about what the game was like, can I just say that was the worst refereeing performance from any referee I think I've ever seen. Missed blatant handballs, gave handballs that never were, pulled up nothing challenges and ignored the harder, tougher tackles that warranted fouls. Ignored head injuries, failed to spot the things he needed to see. An awful performance, and not just biased, it was either way. How Mellor wasn't sent off I'll never know. Hope both clubs complain and the man is never allowed to referee a football match.

Now, onto the game, it was exactly what I expected. A tough, nitty, gritty game where we were made to battle for everything. It was a stereotypical Westley side. You get them in the lower leagues and they aren't pleasant, but hoofing it to Reid was never going to work. Especially as Harvey was mostly anonymous and Alessandra couldn't get into the game. Banton was exceptionally poor, should be dropped before anyone else. But as mentioned, the main problem for me was missing Norburn. Nobody in that team who can play that defence splitting pass, or find those little pockets of space. With Hourihane we didn't need a playmaker but what is the point in having two ball winning midfielders in there? Simply, there isn't. It's sheer bad luck that Norburn was injured, which makes you wonder if we need a new central midfielder.

It will take time for Harvey to develop, but today I thought he wasn't good. Partly through fault of his own, partly for the fact our defence tended to hoof the ball as hard as they could to Reid. If it wasn't Reid, it was Alessandra. I mean, what is the point in using someone of his stature as a target man? Absolutely zilch. If we kept the ball on the floor a bit more then we would have got Harvey and Alessandra more into the game, which then would have helped Reid.

Specifically today there was nobody making runs. Last season Reid worked best alongside Alessandra, so why not put the two together and try again? You could see when Reid won the ball he was looking to release it early or find a pass and there was nobody. Banton and Alessandra were stuck out on the wing and Harvey was too far back. If he's going to play with Cox and O'Connor then he HAS to get further up the pitch and play more behind the striker. Otherwise there's no point him being there. Stevenage are a well drilled side but there were evident gaps at times and those are the ones that you really want Harvey to be filling. Even if a man markes him it then creates space elsewhere. We were far too easy to defend against, the ball was flung to Reid or Alessandra and then when we got the ball on the ground we were penalised for an absolutely nothing handball. Same with Morgan, who was punished too harshly and then when he would win the ball in the air there was no one in support to pick up the ball or make runs after being headed on. You get the idea, a very one dimensional attack.

In terms of being one dimensional, a special shout-out must go to Jason Banton. A couple of good little turns in the first half which resulted in crosses that were cleared, but credit he had the good sense to do well. Has to be the most infuriating player I've ever seen however. Why does any player feel the need to beat a man, turn around let him catch up, and then try and beat him again? It doesn't make any sense to me. I think he should be dropped, make him fight for his place. Lost count of how much he lost the ball, and we must have better, more hard-working options in the squad? Perhaps not, a new winger is an absolute must.

Defensively we weren't bad, Mellor impressed me as he's absolutely sound defensively and McHugh in my opinion doesn't look that bad at left back, especially bearing in mind he was up against one of the league's top wingers. It was arguably his fault for the goal but why there was a man unmarked with two centre backs free I'm not sure. Never in a million years should the forward be allowed to win that. Nelson did well and defends excellently, but Hartley didn't look good at all. I did wonder if he was trying too hard to impress, to try and prove to his old manager that he made a mistake releasing him. Whatever the reason, he didn't play well, and it wasn't pretty to watch. On an extensive note, why did the Stevenage fans boo him? Thought he left peacefully, seemed a bit random to me.

McCormick was alright, not a huge amount to do but dealt with whatever came his way well. Couple of good saves and several very important catches. He did well, we really do have a top keeper. Nothing he could do about the goal as it was what I thought poor defending. Will look again, only thing I wondered is if he could have come out and claimed the ball. That's not to say he should or could have even, a mere 'I'll need to check and watch it back to see'. I don't think he could have done.

As for the subs, didn't see Smalley do much, decent penalty though. That first goal is very important, would be tempted to start him on Saturday regardless. Morgan battled and worked hard but he's the sort that will do much better with a partner, not Reid, but somebody. He didn't have that, meaning when he won the ball there was little he could do. Worked hard, and he's definitely growing on me but he needs the support, as does Reid really. Allen is a feisty one, not sure how far he'll go professionally but it's great to see him getting stuck in and fighting for everything, not overwhelmed by anything. That tackle on the guy through on goal at the end was absolutely first class, especially seeing as the guy threw him to the floor before. Good to see, I'm happy for him to continue with cameo appearances, it will aid him much better than 90 minutes every few weeks, which tend not to have the best effect. For now though, he's doing well.

Overall an extremely poor game coupled with equally bad officiating. It tends to be very tricky to beat those sorts of teams at their own game so I'm not really sure why we resorted to that. I totally understand hoofing it late in the game when you're desperate to make things happen but there was no need to play like that in the first half. Even when we've just conceded there's plenty of time. You need to keep a calm thing and play to your strengths, which we didn't do. We're a team who can be good on the ball and keep it on the deck and play some nice football, which made the match even more disappointing. One positive, can't fault the determination. Not good football but bar Banton, everyone chucked everything on the line to try and get us the game. I just don't feel we tried it in the right way.

One final note from me. It's not those games where it's been a good match but you've come away with a loss that make you question your supporting, but rather those sorts of horrendous, poorly officiated games. Very hard to take in, you just have to tell yourself it wont be like that all season. I had to do that a lot tonight. Not good, but oh well. Sometimes you need a bit of luck, and we got that right at the end.

Onwards and upwards.

Spot on I reckon.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Last season JS would have kept the same 11 on until 85th minute and got ridiculed for it. Now,30 mins to go, triple sub and go for it. Reid was getting no change from their brutes so get him off to avoid injury and bring on some fresh legs.
MM is now getting flack but just wait a mo. At the tail end of the game we were pressing which I doubt we could have done without 11 men on the pitch. So lets say JS made a bold triple sub and it worked with ages to spare. Well OK about 5 seconds but if the footy god has given you 1 goal and you are 1 down then you score with 5 seconds to go - don't you ?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":2212oow0 said:
Vile team, glad they didn't take all three points would have been a travesty to football.

They wasted a lot of time and paid for it (which ironically they needn't have done since we were so pee poor) but I didn't see anything particularly dirty from them....just played like our Sturrock team did away from home in this division.

Jun 8, 2014
Harry Perkins":3cd63s0x said:
Paven":3cd63s0x said:

Onwards and upwards.

Spot on I reckon.

:cool:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
That was not fun to watch, nasty tactics and very little football played. Why oh why did we keep lumping it forward when they won everything in the air? But we didn't give up and karma decreed that they would pay for their time-wasting. And we played as a team, one or two nice passages in the first half until we got bullied out of the game. As someone said, we are going to have to improve technically if we want to outplay brute force. Very happy to get a point at the end and loved the way Smalley smashed that penalty home.

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
IJN":2ggsdyad said:

Yep, wretched.

A tortuous, attritional match within which we were sucked into.

Their tactics combined with a largely incompetent referee, led to something akin to a perfect storm.

Although I would have loved the 3 points, grabbing the draw in the manner we did was natural justice pure & simple.

Although I'm sure they would have been delighted with a point at 7:45 tonight, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't be enjoying their journey home.

Bleh.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":2fsbs3md said:
IJN":2fsbs3md said:

They wasted a lot of time and paid for it (which ironically they needn't have done since we were so pi$$ poor) but I didn't see anything particularly dirty from them....just played like our Sturrock team did away from home in this division.

I can't remember a Sturrock team using elbows to the head or back.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Yep! They were very dirty but it really worked for them up until the penalty. Thankfully, we have a team as powerful as their's and we were never bullied out of it like a side of our's 2 or 3 years ago would've done. Having said that, we weren't great and Stevenage really did deserve the win.

It was a lucky point...

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Cornish Chris":3gn2pyim said:
Plan A: smash the ball at Reuben Reid.
Plan B: see Plan A.

This.

Relieved with a point but we were incredibly lucky.

Sheridan again showing his complete and utter tactical incompetence.

Referee was utterly incompetent for both sides. Should have sent their player off for elbowing Alessandra in the head, should have sent Mellor off for deliberate handball when he was last man, and was it an Argyle hand for the penalty? Even if he got that last one right, he was utterly calamitous. Lost the plot.

McCormick 7 MOTM - Not at fault for the goal. That's about it.
Mellor 4 - where are these good ratings coming from? Still astonishingly cautious going forward, should have crossed and didn't a fair few times too.
Hartley 6 - Very good first half, not so good second.
Nelson 6 - Solid enough.
McHugh N/A - Not a flaming left-back Sheridan, everyone can see it, why not you?
Cox 5 - Been generous as he clearly wasn't fit.
O'Connor 7 - Tidy, used the ball well.
Harvey 6 - Too deep. His fault or Sheridan's I wonder?
Banton N/A - Maybe one day we'll learn to not have this very attacking minded player being played so deep he's forced back into his own half. Clueless manager.
Alessandra 6 - Worked hard, not a lot of end product.
Reid 6 - Isolated as hell but could have worked the channels better.

But despite not having a proper left-back or proper wingers, the weakest link in this squad is the manager. I am prepared to give John Sheridan 10 games this season before making any big "Sheridan Out/Sheridan In/Sheridan is God" statements, but right now I am not happy with what he is doing, despite having what looks like a pretty damn good squad at his disposal. 4 points from 3 games is an ok start but "ok" aint gonna cut it this season.

Nov 22, 2006
Very poor performance against a poor, physical side who managed to get us to play there way rather than ours, so happy we didn't lose to them my opinion of that whole club has gone way down hill but we must learn to play football our way against these teams rather than there way if we are to go up

McCormick 7 didn't do anything wrong no chance with the goal and very vocal, like to see that from a keeper
Mellor 6 could have pushed forward to help more but solid enough, very lucky not to be sent off
Nelson 7 solid but not spectacular
Hartley 7 I like him very good centre half but not helped by having to clean up after McHugh time and time again
McHugh 4 purrington please he can't do any worse than what I've seen from McHugh in the last 2 games, McHugh is very clearly a centre half playing at left back
Cox 5 ineffective and unfit I thought tonight Norburn was missed
O'Connor 6 does the dirty work well but looked a bit lost at times tonight
Alessandra 6 puts the effort in but there was very little from him tonight its a shame I am a fan of his
Harvey 5 shouldn't have played in a game like this he was bullied by Stevenage Walton on he pitch Westley off it couldn't play his game.
Banton 5 most frustrating player I think I've ever watched at Argyle brilliant on the ball useless and lazy off it
Reid 6 as others have said was scouted well by Stevenage he needs to get used to that the more he scores but put in a shift when he was largely on his own

Morgan 6 as frustrating as argyle fans find him I think opposition players do as well proper old school forward who has a brilliant work rate
Allen 6 ive been impressed with his cameos so far not to long before he starts a game I think
Smalley 7 thought he looked as lively as any Argyle player when he came won a lot of headers worked hard and it is a brave man to step forward and take a penalty in that kind of situation

Overall the game was poor but a point is a point and we move on to the next game COYG !