Cheapskate trophy against them up the road! | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cheapskate trophy against them up the road!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
jimsing":2pu80m4v said:
SwimWithTheTide":2pu80m4v said:
jimsing":2pu80m4v said:
SwimWithTheTide":2pu80m4v said:
No more a derby than our bowl trophy game against Barnstaple the other day. Competition isn't worthy of derby status. See the bigger picture. The warning signs are there.

Tell those that go to the match that it's not a derby!!!

Some are too fixated on the short term, they're happy to attend despite it being to the potential long term detriment of our club. Good for them, it's a shame they refuse to take the time to read a bit and consider actually what is best for the club. I hope they enjoy their evening, but as far as I'm concerned its not a derby, it's a manipulated farce.

I'm very proud of the many fans who are standing by each other in the boycott. Sadly we also have a few fans that either don't care that much about the club, or are just plain selfish like the scarf waving GA88.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with you.

The "long term detriment of the Club" that you talk about is just a thing in your head. It has no justification at the moment. It's all if's and but's. There is no substance to anything you say.

The EFL asked the Clubs to vote and they agreed to the proposals. If you must have some sort of campaign against the verdict then surely it must be against the Clubs that voted FOR the competition, and not against those that voted against it, as we did.

I think you've got your principles mixed up.

This is not a protest against the club. I beg you to read up a bit and actually consider the motives of the football league and Shaun Harvey. If then you think a protest is unjustified then fair enough, but I really struggle to find that conclusion myself. It's about showing the football league what football without fans is. And while our club voted with the fans and against Harvey's plans, personally I believe we should be acting alongside the rest of the football league club's fans. Otherwise their protests are undermined by us showing up. Shaun Harvey won't consider context, there's already proof of that.

May 16, 2016
SwimWithTheTide":23mbybf7 said:
jimsing":23mbybf7 said:
jimsing":23mbybf7 said:
No more a derby than our bowl trophy game against Barnstaple the other day. Competition isn't worthy of derby status. See the bigger picture. The warning signs are there.

Tell those that go to the match that it's not a derby!!!

Some are too fixated on the short term, they're happy to attend despite it being to the potential long term detriment of our club. Good for them, it's a shame they refuse to take the time to read a bit and consider actually what is best for the club. I hope they enjoy their evening, but as far as I'm concerned its not a derby, it's a manipulated farce.

I'm very proud of the many fans who are standing by each other in the boycott. Sadly we also have a few fans that either don't care that much about the club, or are just plain selfish like the scarf waving GA88.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with you.

The "long term detriment of the Club" that you talk about is just a thing in your head. It has no justification at the moment. It's all if's and but's. There is no substance to anything you say.

The EFL asked the Clubs to vote and they agreed to the proposals. If you must have some sort of campaign against the verdict then surely it must be against the Clubs that voted FOR the competition, and not against those that voted against it, as we did.

I think you've got your principles mixed up.

This is not a protest against the club. I beg you to read up a bit and actually consider the motives of the football league and Shaun Harvey. If then you think a protest is unjustified then fair enough, but I really struggle to find that conclusion myself. It's about showing the football league what football without fans is. And while our club voted with the fans and against Harvey's plans, personally I believe we should be acting alongside the rest of the football league club's fans. Otherwise their protests are undermined by us showing up. Shaun Harvey won't consider context, there's already proof of that.

What 'Protests' have there been ? I've seen no Banners, Placards or gatherings outside or in Stadia. Non attendance at a traditionally poorly attended competition isn't exactly noticeable.

People have stayed at home and ......tapped keyboards. Feet up in the sitting room isn't difficult, but if that's anybodies doing your bit and taking one for the cause, then well done.

Mar 8, 2016
It's more of a boycott in protest to the current format. Some attendances at clubs have barely reached into the hundreds. Argyle have sold around 1000 tickets for tonight so far. For a derby match against Exeter. At £10 a ticket. Says it all really.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Plus the boycott and the low attendances made national news several times last season. It's been pointed out by several across these threads.

Oct 24, 2010
I think the threat of the fifth league is much exaggerated for the simple reason no one wants it. The Premier League don't want it, the EFL chairmen have voted overwhelmingly against it and fans have rejected it. It was the deluded brainchild of the then FA chairman Greg Dyke who bizarrely thought it would benefit the national team (I suppose that what comes of putting someone who knows nothing about football in charge of the Football Association). It is now very much a dead duck and while it is right for fans to be vigilant but there is no need for paranoia.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
The last time we played Exeter in this trophy we had 9000 plus, this is likely to be under 2000.

That is the comparison to be made.

It seems artificially selecting local derbies behind closed doors to bolster attendances hasn't paid off in this instance.

Of course neither has the polar opposite form of both teams and the prospect of listening to 90minutes of "going down" and "we'll never play you again"

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Shaun Harvey has a lot to answer for. He's placed Argyle fans against Argyle fans and put some in a position where they have to decide between their principles and long term future of playing against bona fide league clubs or going along to support Argyle.

It will hurt a lot of fans to miss a game (Argyle are playing at Home Park for God sake!) and I don't blame those Argyle fans going to the game tonight or against Yeovil but I feel a point needs to be made to Harvey and the football authorities that they can't mess around with our club and league system.

Jul 29, 2010
I reckon the low attendance will have a lot to do with the fact that we're playing sh1te at the moment!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
could well make the top ten of lowest attendances of all time at Home Park....

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
esmer":10vo35yq said:
I think the threat of the fifth league is much exaggerated for the simple reason no one wants it. The Premier League don't want it, the EFL chairmen have voted overwhelmingly against it and fans have rejected it. It was the deluded brainchild of the then FA chairman Greg Dyke who bizarrely thought it would benefit the national team (I suppose that what comes of putting someone who knows nothing about football in charge of the Football Association). It is now very much a dead duck and while it is right for fans to be vigilant but there is no need for paranoia.

You have a point Esmer, but I disagree where you feel it's paranoia. While several B team proposals and football league restructures have been shelved, the fact that they keep cropping up is enough to concern me.

The "benefit" of B teams is continuously heralded by several of the more prestigious managers within the rich league and the notion to provide the top clubs with football league competitive B sides has been put forward several times. Just because the latest has gone away, doesn't mean that the idea has gone forever.

We've played two supposedly competitive games now against clubs academies. Greg Dykes proposals may have been dismissed. Shaun Harvey's League Three revamp may have been shelved for the short term. But make no mistake that this is the closest we have ever been to having our league structure degraded totally by the "elite" clubs. The games against Swansea B and Chelsea's children were an insult to us supporters, our club and our players.

May 4, 2015
Stuart House":2cgn1g4u said:
The last time we played Exeter in this trophy we had 9000 plus, this is likely to be under 2000.

That is the comparison to be made.

It seems artificially selecting local derbies behind closed doors to bolster attendances hasn't paid off in this instance.

Of course neither has the polar opposite form of both teams and the prospect of listening to 90minutes of "going down" and "we'll never play you again"

2,600 tickets sold already (250 away)