Cheapskate trophy against them up the road! | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cheapskate trophy against them up the road!

May 4, 2015
Jose446":3fj6gt0n said:
Stuart House":3fj6gt0n said:
The last time we played Exeter in this trophy we had 9000 plus, this is likely to be under 2000.

That is the comparison to be made.

It seems artificially selecting local derbies behind closed doors to bolster attendances hasn't paid off in this instance.

Of course neither has the polar opposite form of both teams and the prospect of listening to 90minutes of "going down" and "we'll never play you again"

2,600 tickets sold already (250 away)

Also, comparing Apples with Oranges. The 9,000 plus game was the first meeting for several years.

We have been burdened with playing them at least twice a season for a few years now

Nov 4, 2012
Jose446":860ujryz said:
Jose446":860ujryz said:
Stuart House":860ujryz said:
The last time we played Exeter in this trophy we had 9000 plus, this is likely to be under 2000.

It seems artificially selecting local derbies behind closed doors to bolster attendances hasn't paid off in this instance.

Of course neither has the polar opposite form of both teams and the prospect of listening to 90minutes of "going down" and "we'll never play you again"

Also, comparing Apples with Oranges. The 9,000 plus game was the first meeting for several years.

We have been burdened with playing them at least twice a season for a few years now

Actually the game he was referring to was only a couple of years ago. We won 2-0. This was after playing them several times in the preceding years. Boateng scored a 1st half header and Craig Tanner ran the length of the pitch to score the second. The floodlights failed at half time if I remember rightly. A great night and a great atmosphere. A shame this competition has been destroyed.

Oct 24, 2010
Pogleswoody":1b2dnm58 said:
djg145":1b2dnm58 said:
Not going tonight - seeing the Australian Pink Floyd at Pavillions :)

Wish I Was There! ;)

Mind you I won't be at HP ; The Dark Side of the Toon either! :thumbs:

Obscured by Crowds?? Not likely!!
You deserve a Meddle for that. Or perhaps not.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Jose446":3atxump2 said:
Jose446":3atxump2 said:
Stuart House":3atxump2 said:

Well I hope the 2350 Argyle fans enjoy the taunts, because they will be coming thickand fast.

May 4, 2015
PAFC94":22m6gzkf said:
Jose446":22m6gzkf said:
Jose446":22m6gzkf said:
Stuart House":22m6gzkf said:

Actually the game he was referring to was only a couple of years ago. We won 2-0. This was after playing them several times in the preceding years. Boateng scored a 1st half header and Craig Tanner ran the length of the pitch to score the second. The floodlights failed at half time if I remember rightly. A great night and a great atmosphere. A shame this competition has been destroyed.

My mistake, I was at that game and we looked the real deal.

Oct 24, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":1zhm6xnn said:
esmer":1zhm6xnn said:
I think the threat of the fifth league is much exaggerated for the simple reason no one wants it. The Premier League don't want it, the EFL chairmen have voted overwhelmingly against it and fans have rejected it. It was the deluded brainchild of the then FA chairman Greg Dyke who bizarrely thought it would benefit the national team (I suppose that what comes of putting someone who knows nothing about football in charge of the Football Association). It is now very much a dead duck and while it is right for fans to be vigilant but there is no need for paranoia.

You have a point Esmer, but I disagree where you feel it's paranoia. While several B team proposals and football league restructures have been shelved, the fact that they keep cropping up is enough to concern me.

The "benefit" of B teams is continuously heralded by several of the more prestigious managers within the rich league and the notion to provide the top clubs with football league competitive B sides has been put forward several times. Just because the latest has gone away, doesn't mean that the idea has gone forever.

We've played two supposedly competitive games now against clubs academies. Greg Dykes proposals may have been dismissed. Shaun Harvey's League Three revamp may have been shelved for the short term. But make no mistake that this is the closest we have ever been to having our league structure degraded totally by the "elite" clubs. The games against Swansea B and Chelsea's children were an insult to us supporters, our club and our players.
Paranoia was the wrong word, sorry, and I can understand why people are concerned but despite what one or two managers have said in off the cuff interviews the Premier League have never shown any interest in the proposal and there is no reason to believe they ever will. Even for the Checkatrade the EFL had to delve into the Championship to get enough teams to participate. The top Premier League team's youth policy is quite simple really - take on hundreds of kids, sift through them for the very few who they think may make it and loan them out to Championship clubs to get the experience they need, the rest fall by the wayside. A fifth league has no interest to them at all.

Apr 30, 2011
I'm going tonight, it's 10 quid to watch Argyle play against our biggest rivals and with my Mrs about to drop twins, I doubt I will be able to justify spending 25 quid on a ticket again this season. So for my selfish reasons, I am going. I understand and respect the viewpoint of those boycotting or dismissing the game so can't really get drawn into an argument with them as I think morally they are probably right.

In terms of what it brings to Argyle is the opportunity to win and perhaps turn the tide of our season so it is an important game as far as this season is concerned.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Find it very hard to understand so much negativity towards a Cup competition like the checkatrade trophy

The prize is Wembley Cup final & the club wins money as we progress

Maybe it's just me looking forward to the Devon Derby tonight

Well done Argyle on special priced Hospitality Just £30+vat :thumbs:

COYGs :scarf:

Jul 3, 2013
Only 70000 went to last years final, wonder how many hypocrites would go if we got to the final. Coventry took 43000 apparently.

Sep 17, 2017
I will be going, I went all home and 18 away matches last season and have only missed the Wigan midweek match this season,

I will be there tonight also, does that make me a hypocrite ????

Feb 2, 2007
Stiffler":3nziw6uw said:
Only 70000 went to last years final, wonder how many hypocrites would go if we got to the final. Coventry took 43000 apparently.

Coventry have more pressing issues with their owners and that was a message sent to theair ownership at how much support the club have if united.

Oxfords atgendance dropped by 20% on the previous year when they got the final in the last year of the JPT.

Prices were held lower than when it was JPT to boost attendance.

Still a few hypocrites though!

Mar 18, 2006
I’m sure others would decide to attend a Wembley final in this competition despite Boycotting earlier rounds.
Personally, I wouldn’t .

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Wembley. With performances like recent matches, that’s pie in the sky stuff....

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Wembley. With performances like recent matches, that’s pie in the sky stuff....