Cheapskate trophy against them up the road! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cheapskate trophy against them up the road!

Feb 8, 2005
I fully understand the reasoning behind those not attending the match, and respect the views of those that don't attend, but I'm afraid I will be there with three non Argyle fans for a cheap day out. The football is irrelevant, its only Exeter City after all, but Argyle is Argyle and I cannot, hand on heart, find the political reasoning to be sufficient to not want to watch my football team play at Home Park.

I strongly suspect that others will be of a similar opinion, and although the gate will bound to be lower than usual, I do not think the stay-aways will achieve their goal of record low levels of attendance against our greatest rivals, Exeter City.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's the way it should be Jim. No one should bully anyone, it's a thing of choice.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Trouble is Jimsing, by avoiding Chelsea but going to this game, you still support Shaun Harvey's B team plans. Whether you want to or not, the man will use your attendance against Exeter to say look how popular B teams are. Like he did with Coventry and Oxfords Wembley final.

Both sets of supporters were clear in their distain for the introduction of B teams in the competition, but they figured that the job was done and that now it was just a game between too established league clubs they could go and cheer on their club. Harvey then used the attendance of the final to "prove" how popular the new format was.

Plus for me, a derby only holds the prestige that fans allow. Geography may well define a derby, but it's the supporters that make it worthwhile. Like when Mansfield played Derby in the FA Cup a couple of years ago, there was no real angst between the supporters. Derby see their rivals as Forest. Similar to when Forest Green Rovers visit Cheltenham this year, is that really going to have that special derby atmosphere?

This competition has caused too much friction and divide between fanbases throughout the country and with many of the Green Army regulars turning their back on this fixture, it's really only going to be a derby by geography. I couldn't care less what happens in the fixture, nor can many others. It's hardly a recipe for one of the classics, regardless of how the game plays.

Feb 8, 2005
I fully understand your position, and I am against B teams in ANY cup or EFL league. I can assure you that I do not support Mr Harvey, but I will not be swayed into missing my football team play football.

As far as the politics of the competition are concerned, I will never support the inclusion of B teams, the Premiership hold too much power over English football and they wield that power over the EFL to the detriment of English football.

I am nonplussed over the competition itself but I choose to watch my football team play against local rival opposition, regardless of the politics of the competition itself. I know that both teams will be under-strength. I know that both teams will be using the match to their own aims, but will watch it with that in mind and will not be too excited if we win, and will not be too depressed if we lose.

I may not want to see the next home match in the competition, dependent on the opposition, if there is to be one, but I will not let the politics of the competition affect my choice.

If you choose to avoid ALL the matches that Argyle play in this competition, then that is your choice and I have no criticism of your actions at all.

I hope you do not miss these matches for nothing.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
That's fair Jimsing. I wasn't saying that you support B teams, but that attendance supports Shaun Harvey's motives. To that man you're just a figure on a spreadsheet that he is desperate to use for his own means.

The only part I disagree with is you saying that you won't allow the politics of the competition sway your decision in whether or not you watch our club play. Sadly, given the above point and Harvey's disregard for context when using attendance to show support of B teams, your decision to attend is brought into the politics of it all. It's unavoidable, which is why his controversial plans are so wrong.

We, fans, shouldn't be put in a situation to make that choice. The football league and FA dont seem to care much for the situations at Blackpool, Coventry and Charlton either.

I'm all for a second string, cheap competition that allows managers flexible use of their squad and allows fans to turn up with cut price promotions. Which is why I support the reintroduction of the FL Trophy in its former format, though perhaps with tighter regionalisation.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreenArmy1984":2cfdr07f said:
Never mind the politics

Sometimes Paul you have to get down and get dirty. We are the fans, we decide not the EFL or the FA. They may think they do, but together we can change anything.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreenArmy1984":3vx3gpnd said:
Been watching Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City Since 1985 and that's all that matters really

The Devon Derby :thumbs:

It's not though Paul.

One day, perhaps Man City (B) will replace Exeter City, is that what you want?