Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No it's not but to explain.

As we spent time in the Championship our terracing was deemed unsafe.

But Exeter City who have been nowhere near the 2nd tier of English football can have a terrace so it must be deemed safe.

Then add to it that Barnet are allowed to build a brand new ground with terracing illustrates what a truly stupid rule this is.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
I'm sure Pompey would bring 3k - 4k fans down if we gave them the tickets. With that in mind I believe we would sell 14k home tickets which would be the same add last year and I think the opposition would attack more. It would sell out I have no doubt.

Sep 1, 2010
Oxfordshire
Ah well that explains it then!?

Is there not a bit of a legal challenge that could be made, given the inconsistency? Sounds like a ludicrous set of rules to me.... but ah wait, this is football we are talking about!

Thx IJN

Dec 3, 2005
Monster Green":eqx41n71 said:
We won't sell out the home end anyway so not a great deal of point debating it. Not forgetting that there'll also be 2 blocks of OTT segregation too; can guarantee there'll be tickets available on the morning of the match still

Never understood why we always have 2 blocks for segregation - Premier games and including 'derby' matches only have one line of stewards dividing them lol

Dec 3, 2005
Keepitgreen":x2u06j10 said:
dunlop":x2u06j10 said:
Keepitgreen":x2u06j10 said:
CornishGreenWhite":x2u06j10 said:
As well as getting the mayflower open, move the family stand back to block 1 and get the old Zoo Corner opened up next season. The atmosphere has all but died these days.
I don't know why people keep going on about moving it. The Family Zone For All (I think that's it's proper name) is a resounding success and I can't see it moving.

Bob can't agree how do you measure success do we have more families attending than when it was in the Devonport end.

It definetly has had a negative effect on the atmosphere in the ground, there was always good rivalry between Zoo Corner and the Devonport end creating a fantastic atmosphere between the two sets of home supporters.

No football person would use the family zone as a barrier between home and away fans.

It would not surprise me if they move the family zone when we play Portsmouth.

As for the Mayflower the sooner that is open the better.
Mike, the club regard it as a roaring success. Hasn't it helped us win a couple of family awards. I agree that a lot of the atmosphere has been lost but logistically that corner is the only place for it.

Damn I thought we were a FOOTBALL team chasing Football Trophies - never knew Argyle were there just to win 'family awards' :)

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
dunlop":1z820mal said:
Keepitgreen":1z820mal said:
CornishGreenWhite":1z820mal said:
As well as getting the mayflower open, move the family stand back to block 1 and get the old Zoo Corner opened up next season. The atmosphere has all but died these days.
I don't know why people keep going on about moving it. The Family Zone For All (I think that's it's proper name) is a resounding success and I can't see it moving.

Bob can't agree how do you measure success do we have more families attending than when it was in the Devonport end.l

It definetly has had a negative effect on the atmosphere in the ground, there was always good rivalry between Zoo Corner and the Devonport end creating a fantastic atmosphere between the two sets of home supporters.

No football person would use the family zone as a barrier between home and away fans.

It would not surprise me if they move the family zone when we play Portsmouth.

As for the Mayflower the sooner that is open the better.

Dunlop...quite agree with that....whenever a big crowd is expected the first thing Argyle do is move the family zone so as to accommodate more fans.We will probably see this done for the Portsmouth home leg according to demand. Which makes a mockery of ever putting it where it is in the first place.Another own goal by Argyle....just like the Argyle Angels and the Force Verde...pathetic in the extreme...

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
Absolutely brilliant idea and please can AFT / President/ and anyone who can get the ear of Martyn Starnes, James Brent etc to at least explore this opportunity.
The atmosphere here prior to its closure was always remarked on, by away fans, their players and those in their dug-outs, as intimidating and making it a difficult place to play.

Would much rather be sat behind the away dug-out shouting and winding up their bench, than from my current seat at the back of the Lyndhurst.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
KBGreen":16x0q9es said:

Is there not a bit of a legal challenge that could be made, given the inconsistency? Sounds like a ludicrous set of rules to me.... but ah wait, this is football we are talking about!

Thx IJN

Ian has been economical with the truth there. The law says that ALL FOOTBALL STADIUMS must be all seater and clubs have three years to comply once they reach tire two. Unfortunately, Argyle wasted their compliance time by simply installing temporary measures. Clubs like Exeter City and Barnet still have to comply but their "countdown clock" to compliance has yet to be started.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":iyobz8ez said:
KBGreen":iyobz8ez said:

Thx IJN

Ian has been economical with the truth there. The law says that ALL FOOTBALL STADIUMS must be all seater and clubs have three years to comply once they reach tire two. Unfortunately, Argyle wasted their compliance time by simply installing temporary measures. Clubs like Exeter City and Barnet still have to comply but their "countdown clock" to compliance has yet to be started.

I think what Ian means when referring to Barnet is that if safety is paramount then surely all brand new stadia should comply to full seating. I do not however wish to put words in his mouth but it's how I read his reply. I didn't realise The Hive had a standing area.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":1yj5j5si said:
KBGreen":1yj5j5si said:

Thx IJN

:greensmile: You really are a referee aren't you Paul? :lol:

So, whilst the clock hasn't started, are their standing safe then?

Yes Ade that's exactly what I mean.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":ljne4y08 said:
KBGreen":ljne4y08 said:

Thx IJN

But the whole point of the 2nd division rule is surely to ensure little clubs like Exeter aren't forced into financial difficulty because they have to carry out work on large parts of their ground to rid themselves of terraces, that rule looks like a complete farce when a club like Barnet builds an entirely new ground and spends money on putting in effectively new terracing.

If the rule was to make any sense it should be that you do not have to install seats unless you reach the 2nd tier or unless you are carrying out work on yours or a new ground in which case priority must go to safety (i.e. seating) first before expansion of the stands and of course under no uncertain terms must you actively build brand new terraces if it really is a serious safety concern.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":3ulliwic said:
Lundan Cabbie":3ulliwic said:
KBGreen":3ulliwic said:

Thx IJN

I think what Ian means when referring to Barnet is that if safety is paramount then surely all brand new stadia should comply to full seating. I do not however wish to put words in his mouth but it's how I read his reply. I didn't realise The Hive had a standing area.

I couldn't agree more but if Barnet found a loophole, I very much doubt it would help Argyle at Home Park. It could be interesting if PAFC were to submit plans for a new stadium whist still in L1 or L2 and they wished to incorporate standing areas, quoting The Hive as a precedent.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm hoping safe standing comes in but my point wasn't Argyle finding any loophole (I'm sure they've tried and tried in past years) but what an absolute arse this 'rule' is.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":d1i8e4so said:
Lundan Cabbie":d1i8e4so said:
KBGreen":d1i8e4so said:

Thx IJN

:greensmile: You really are a referee aren't you Paul? :lol:

So, whilst the clock hasn't started, are their standing safe then?

Yes Ade that's exactly what I mean.

The law doesn't say that terracing is unsafe, it just says that all seater stands are safer.

Oh and yes, I am a former referee and I am also the former London Fire Brigade Liaison Officer for Barnet FC (1995/2004) :)