Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged). | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged).

Jan 7, 2013
I must admit it was nice to see a bit of passion from the bloke on the touchline yesterday but still no praise from me he has made hard work of getting us in the play-offs and I still believe we should have been top 3 easily with our current squad and would have been with a different manager!
As for greenarmy84 being correct I think most predicted we would just about scrape 7th including myself but I maintain that this is probably where we will stay unless we get Wycombe then possibly a trip to Wembley but promotion? No.
We weren't good enough yesterday yes we won but play like that against Southend Bury or Stevenage we will lose.
Sorry to put a downer on things but just my opinion, no doubt most will disagree and the likes of chronicgreen and greenskin will go mental and say utterly laughable some are never happy etc but under this management I cannot see a positive future for us.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
BadBoy":1mc6nzph said:
He can go tomorrow as far as I'm concerned 7th in this awful division is absolute minimum, get us through the playoffs and I may change my mind but all he's done is get us into the top third of the bottom division is that an achievement of note?

If he goes now, how can he get us through the playoffs?

C

chronicgreen

clokey84":1jcuootd said:
I must admit it was nice to see a bit of passion from the bloke on the touchline yesterday but still no praise from me he has made hard work of getting us in the play-offs and I still believe we should have been top 3 easily with our current squad and would have been with a different manager!
As for greenarmy84 being correct I think most predicted we would just about scrape 7th including myself but I maintain that this is probably where we will stay unless we get Wycombe then possibly a trip to Wembley but promotion? No.
We weren't good enough yesterday yes we won but play like that against Southend Bury or Stevenage we will lose.
Sorry to put a downer on things but just my opinion, no doubt most will disagree and the likes of chronicgreen and greenskin will go mental and say utterly laughable some are never happy etc but under this management I cannot see a positive future for us.

I've been mental for decades, a prerequisite to being a long term Argyle fan. One claim that I continue to take issue with though is the belief that we have a top 3 quality squad, is there any evidence for such a sweeping statement? Have you analysed all the other squads in this division and come to an informed judgement or is it just a hunch?

As for our long term prospects under Sheridan, I'm as uncertain as anyone else but as I've stated on countless occasions I'll continue to support him until our season is over and then assess the good, the bad and the ugly of this campaign. COME ON YOU GREENS!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
chronicgreen":22c72lr9 said:
clokey84":22c72lr9 said:

I've been mental for decades, a prerequisite to being a long term Argyle fan. One claim that I continue to take issue with though is the belief that we have a top 3 quality squad, is there any evidence for such a sweeping statement? Have you analysed all the other squads in this division and come to an informed judgement or is it just a hunch?

As for our long term prospects under Sheridan, I'm as uncertain as anyone else but as I've stated on countless occasions I'll continue to support him until our season is over and then assess the good, the bad and the ugly of this campaign. COME ON YOU GREENS!

Well said.

Jan 7, 2013
It's just a hunch but one I believe is true as I say only my opinion I also respect yours, I too continue to support argyle even though I'm displeased with the management team, I would love for us to go up but would still hope for the change to happen.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
It may be you're opinion Clokey, but its not a particularly easy one to just mutually respect. You've based quite a harsh criticism off of absolutely nothing, but a bit of a feeling.

That said if Sheridan has managed to assemble a "top 3 quality" squad with the budget he's got, then he's an absolutely incredible manager!

Jan 7, 2013
It's not just a bit of a feeling though is it, I have explained like many others on here over the last few months many reasons why I don't want the bloke here I'm not going to write them all again! I hope for promotion of course and will continue to follow argyle but I very much look forward to the end of his contract.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Fair enough Clokey, but Chronic asked you whether you'd based your "top 3 quality squad" claim on anything and you said it was just a hunch... So I was just highlighting how its difficult to respect your criticism when its based on pure conjecture.

Jan 7, 2013
Well I haven't analysed all of the other squads in our division like he/she asked so out of the two then I'd have to go for a hunch.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Have you weighed in Brent's statement that our budget is 7th to 9th best in the division to the process of your hunch?

Oct 5, 2013
Ave_IT":2vjfvuqy said:
Getting us to the play-offs will be a good plus for his cv, getting us promoted will be a real boost for it. Other chairmen won't know or care about the 'dourness' of the journey just the final destination. Dare I say it, but perhaps an affectionate parting of the ways after a Wembley victory would be the perfect end and new beginning for both us and him.

In complete agreement

Oct 5, 2013
Pilgrim61":vmo6luo5 said:
Sheridan has achieved his stated target....but the prize is still to be had.

I am not a fan of his and I struggle to understand how a team with one of the best strikeforces, with over 30 goals; and a goals against record as good as Burton (only bettered by Shrewsbury) is not in the auto spots. The fact is our away form is low mid table due to our well known inability to to turn a losing position into a winning one.

But, after two seasons of relegation battles, and a 10th spot last year, this is progress and credit where it's due. The important thing now is to see out next week and give Reid a rest to get him in the best shape possible for the play-offs.

I believe JS's stated target was promotion...

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I Think people are making judgements based on unsound logic rather than fact or reality, not a surprise but disappointing.

Our top scorer has not really been successful under any other manager and without him we would not be in the playoffs. We know how easy it is to find a player that will score 20 goals a season don't we.

Also, it was Sheridan that convinced him to stay here this season when other temptations with more money seemed to be on the table.

I doubt any other manager would have assembled the same squad, a squad everyone tthinks so highly of. So how can anyone judge how another manager would have done with this squad, or if we have achieved our true potential, this is just carp, it wouldn't exist without Sheridan.

Being away from Home Park, like being away in any job, has its positives as well as its negatives, but is definitely not a measure of commitment to the job, company or whatever. Just simply a preference that suits an individual. I live 450 miles from my job, work from home on occasion, but am more committed than most who live locally.

If the football is dire and you want better football, then fair enough, but this is the bottom tier and how many opposition teams have you seen playing this Brazilian magic this season?. I have not seen as many matches as those that frequently attend, but the ones I have seen the football is generally on the ground and for the bottom league, technically certainly better than many describe, a huge improvement on recent previous managers, all since Holloway, who built a great team.

I think the old saying, beware what you wish for comes to mind here. Its easy to criticise the job being done and feel that someone else would do better, but this is just head in the clouds stuff and a huge risk to the ongoing stability of the club and takes away the positive energy that is so important to success.