Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged). | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged).

Jan 7, 2013
I have never doubted that Sheridan can't spot a player it's what he does with them once they are here is where my issues come into it, he has indeed put a decent squad together but lack of tactics, players being played out of position, no togetherness on the pitch, no real leadership not committing all of his time (Monday to Saturday) to the club etc etc are the reasons why I think the likes of sturrock hill Johnson cotterill Warnock would have had us up by now.

Feb 15, 2005
How does JB know we have the 7th highest budget in the league, where are these figures published??? Does Wycombe, Stevenage, Bury and Shrewsbury have bigger budgets?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
clokey84":xntrrzdm said:
I have never doubted that Sheridan can't spot a player it's what he does with them once they are here is where my issues come into it, he has indeed put a decent squad together but lack of tactics, players being played out of position, no togetherness on the pitch, no real leadership not committing all of his time (Monday to Saturday) to the club etc etc are the reasons why I think the likes of sturrock hill Johnson cotterill Warnock would have had us up by now.
:facepalm:

Sep 28, 2003
London
X Isle":13ov47yt said:
'He got us there'. Hmmm :think:

Ryanair will get you there. It won't be comfortable, it won't be pretty, you'll be hungry and you'll arrive quite some way short of where you actually need to be.

But Michael O'Leary got you there so you may consider that sufficient to give him credit.

You could however have flown with another airline. It could have exactly the same model of plane and exactly the same flight and cabin crew, only they'd been trained to that airline's better standards and workings practices and were committed to excellence.

Instead of being left uncomfortable, hungry and still requiring a long bus ride to where you want to be..... you could be there already having enjoyed a restful flight, lovely food and an A1 experience.

Should probably have bitten my lip and left it but that would be dishonest to my true feelings and the question I've been asking myself now for months....

'Because of, or in spite of'?

Perfectly put.

I'm happy to be in the play-offs, but that doesn't mean this has been a good season by any stretch of the imagination.

Jan 7, 2013
Steve.PAFC2012":1cg9oci8 said:
clokey84":1cg9oci8 said:
Not a fan then?

Had some great promotions with Yeovil and Bristol City just not quite good enough for the championship a bit like Sturrock very good for the lower leagues in my opinion!

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":2x0mc38z said:
'He got us there'. Hmmm :think:

Ryanair will get you there. It won't be comfortable, it won't be pretty, you'll be hungry and you'll arrive quite some way short of where you actually need to be.

But Michael O'Leary got you there so you may consider that sufficient to give him credit.

You could however have flown with another airline. It could have exactly the same model of plane and exactly the same flight and cabin crew, only they'd been trained to that airline's better standards and workings practices and were committed to excellence.

Instead of being left uncomfortable, hungry and still requiring a long bus ride to where you want to be..... you could be there already having enjoyed a restful flight, lovely food and an A1 experience.

Should probably have bitten my lip and left it but that would be dishonest to my true feelings and the question I've been asking myself now for months....

'Because of, or in spite of'?

As is usual with posts from this poster, it is more about how clever he can be using flowery prose, than about the subject being discussed. Congratulations to JS and the squad on a job well done, at this stage I would happily take promotion over performance.

G

Greenskin

clokey84":1g6pdnte said:
I must admit it was nice to see a bit of passion from the bloke on the touchline yesterday but still no praise from me he has made hard work of getting us in the play-offs and I still believe we should have been top 3 easily with our current squad and would have been with a different manager!
As for greenarmy84 being correct I think most predicted we would just about scrape 7th including myself but I maintain that this is probably where we will stay unless we get Wycombe then possibly a trip to Wembley but promotion? No.
We weren't good enough yesterday yes we won but play like that against Southend Bury or Stevenage we will lose.
Sorry to put a downer on things but just my opinion, no doubt most will disagree and the likes of chronicgreen and greenskin will go mental and say utterly laughable some are never happy etc but under this management I cannot see a positive future for us.

Not my style to go mental, old sport. Prefer to look at things rationally and analytically rather than relying on delusions about how good the players in the current squad are or where Argyle currently stand as a club.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm afraid I agree with XIsle and what's wrong with a bit of decent prose? There has been something lacking this season, something that just hasn't gelled. JS himself couldn't explain the lacklustre effort at Carlisle, and there have been several others like it. Why, when we had everything to play for? And can we put in the sort of do or die performance needed, on more than one occasion, to get us promoted? I just don't know

Jan 7, 2013
Greenskin":pt9gpb91 said:
clokey84":pt9gpb91 said:
I must admit it was nice to see a bit of passion from the bloke on the touchline yesterday but still no praise from me he has made hard work of getting us in the play-offs and I still believe we should have been top 3 easily with our current squad and would have been with a different manager!
As for greenarmy84 being correct I think most predicted we would just about scrape 7th including myself but I maintain that this is probably where we will stay unless we get Wycombe then possibly a trip to Wembley but promotion? No.
We weren't good enough yesterday yes we won but play like that against Southend Bury or Stevenage we will lose.
Sorry to put a downer on things but just my opinion, no doubt most will disagree and the likes of chronicgreen and greenskin will go mental and say utterly laughable some are never happy etc but under this management I cannot see a positive future for us.

Not my style to go mental, old sport. Prefer to look at things rationally and analytically rather than relying on delusions about how good the players in the current squad are or where Argyle currently stand as a club.
Good on you.

Jul 29, 2010
Lesley Reardon":xitqub6x said:
I'm afraid I agree with XIsle and what's wrong with a bit of decent prose? There has been something lacking this season, something that just hasn't gelled. JS himself couldn't explain the lacklustre effort at Carlisle, and there have been several others like it. Why, when we had everything to play for? And can we put in the sort of do or die performance needed, on more than one occasion, to get us promoted? I just don't know

Thank you Lesley. Presumably "shezza's not goodnuff innit" would've been more acceptable to him :lol:

The problem for some folk is that well observed and articulated criticism is harder to deal with than random inarticulate outbursts. That's why we got all the 'ignore him' posts last night, much more convenient to put one's hands over one's ears and chant "la la la...".

Shame. Nothing changed with the management issues holding back the full potential the team with an odd goal in five win over the worst team in professional football. But suddenly after the final whistle, issues widely discussed across the fanbase for months become verboten, worthy of completely ignoring. Odd.

Eyes and minds wide open fellas. We're (as good as) in the play-off's and that's a good thing, but it could and should be better. Burying heads just because a minimum target is reached rarely assists anything in achieving maximum potential.

We all want what's best for Argyle, and 7th in the basement league isn't the pinnacle of achievement. Let's strive for that, instead of crediting a minimum.

Mar 23, 2008
X Isle":24ivp85i said:
Lesley Reardon":24ivp85i said:

Thank you Lesley. Presumably "shezza's not goodnuff innit" would've been more acceptable to him :lol:

The problem for some folk is that well observed and articulated criticism is harder to deal with than random inarticulate outbursts. That's why we got all the 'ignore him' posts last night, much more convenient to put one's hands over one's ears and chant "la la la...".

Shame. Nothing changed with the management issues holding back the full potential the team with an odd goal in five win over the worst team in professional football. But suddenly after the final whistle, issues widely discussed across the fanbase for months become verboten, worthy of completely ignoring. Odd.

Eyes and minds wide open fellas. We're (as good as) in the play-off's and that's a good thing, but it could and should be better. Burying heads just because a minimum target is reached rarely assists anything in achieving maximum potential.

We all want what's best for Argyle, and 7th in the basement league isn't the pinnacle of achievement. Let's strive for that, instead of crediting a minimum.
Agree with that. If we go to Wembley/go up I'll be as chuffed as any green but it will be a sweet feeling with a bitter after taste. We've all had a good night out in the past but wished the food had been better.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
clokey84":2rw9qk1n said:
Steve.PAFC2012":2rw9qk1n said:
clokey84":2rw9qk1n said:
Not a fan then?

Had some great promotions with Yeovil and Bristol City just not quite good enough for the championship a bit like Sturrock very good for the lower leagues in my opinion!

This is the same Johnson who has just had two teams relegated in the same season? One from Div 1 to Div 2 and one from Div 2 to the Conference. Perhaps you meant some other lower leagues?

C

Ceebs

X Isle":1y9vlnau said:
Lesley Reardon":1y9vlnau said:

I don't think your issues have become verboten, tiresome maybe and definitely ill timed, but not proscribed. Many were enjoying a respite from the negativity and experiencing a rare state of Argyle induced cheer. Yet some still need to find gloom where there's glee.

You spoke previously of how the journey was unimportant; I think you said finishing 7th under Sheridan should feel the same as 3rd under Shilton. The play-offs are the play-offs afterall. Yet now you argue that the journey is paramount and our's has been distinctly Ryanair.

Few, if any, are claiming everything is perfect, but having a very good chance of being involved in the promotion mix is certainly a welcome departure from the previous 6 seasons.

Finally, must you keep speaking of your own intelligence?