EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea

Will you be attending EPL Trophy games next season?

• I will attend as normal

Votes: 49 20.5%
  • I will boycott all EFL Trophy games

Votes: 122 51.0%
  • I will boycott games vs PL U21 sides

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters
Dec 3, 2005
Does anyone know if Argyle voted for this? I would like to hear the 'official' view on this - it won't change my mind that it is a disgrace, but I would like to hear from Argyle.

Nov 18, 2011
djg145":36g33d6m said:
oddball":36g33d6m said:
Keepitgreen":36g33d6m said:
Someone's started a petition against it. Please sign and share on social media:

Abandon the 2016/17 EFL Trophy Proposals

Bob just signed it.Needed to be done.

Signed - if it does any good - hopefully other supporters from other teams will feel the same as us.

Did Argyle actually vote FOR this?

I imagine just like the horrible idea that is EPPP, the football league teams were leaned on very heavily by the Premier League teams.

Ever since the Premier League split from the football league the football league has been shafted over and over again.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Can't say that I am particularly concerned about the academy teams. It's the increase in games that concerns me most.

May 16, 2016
Give it a couple of weeks of the Euros and it will probably become apparent that they need to do something else to blood the Premiers next generation of golden child.

B teams in lower LEAGUES is not that unusual, but to rejig a cup competion and parachute some of the PL offspring just doesn't make sense or even seem fair. The majority of them will never play for their club at the top level and will inevitably go out on loan or drop leagues to find work.

However, to be fair, our B team plays in someone elses league and for all I know, not all the clubs in that league may have been that welcoming.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Petition signed, a little bit of my pension I can now spend on something more meaningful. I really believe it will help the passage of young English players, no under 21 team will contain foreign born players, pigs fuelled and ready for take off.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
djg145":2ldpp34w said:
oddball":2ldpp34w said:
Keepitgreen":2ldpp34w said:
Someone's started a petition against it. Please sign and share on social media:

Abandon the 2016/17 EFL Trophy Proposals

Bob just signed it.Needed to be done.

Signed - if it does any good - hopefully other supporters from other teams will feel the same as us.

Did Argyle actually vote FOR this?

DJG did Argyle vote for this...be interesting to know if they did or did not...maybe Martyn Starnes will mention it in his Herald column....then maybe not.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
This has to be a reserve team competition for All the clubs in it. How else are we going to fit in a minimum of three games!

Ridiculous idea.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
How much is a fine for not turning up to a game?

Are we able to sell tickets to the B-Team game purely to help fund Argyle's fine for not turning up?

This is a serious attack on proper clubs like Argyle, I will quite happily boycott any "EFL Trophy" game and hope that Argyle have the power to do the same.

If enough clubs do this these B-Teams won't have games to play and won't develop their players by being in the competition; let it be a B-Team v B-Team final by default because they've had byes to the final, the competition is now an utter farce who cares whether we're in the final or not.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In financial terms a boycott of the competition by the fans will only hurt our club and not the cash-rich Premier League clubs but a boycott is the only way we can show our disgust at this.

It’s now the third time in the last 18 months that the Premier League have tried to meddle in League One and Two and force their B teams onto us, this latest proposal has been railroaded through with no consultation with the fans and sadly has been voted for by League One and Two clubs. How did Argyle vote on this?

It’s not our fault the PL clubs have stockpiled so many young players and don’t know what to do with them.
We could have the farcical situation, for example, of Boateng being on loan to us for six months in League Two, he goes back to Palace in January and plays against us in the League Trophy semi-final. (Lundan Cabbie will be along shortly).

It’s the PL B teams by stealth because after the trial period they are bound to announce it as a success which leaves the door open for the PL B teams to be parachuted into other competitions. It’s the thin end of the wedge.
It doesn’t matter to them that the games will be played in empty stadiums as long as their kids are getting games against testing opposition.
It’s also demeaning to experienced lower leagues players who are forced to play against kids. Imagine the uproar if 17-year old wonderkid Carlos Kickabout worth £25 million has his leg broken in a robust tackle by hairy arsed experienced lower league centre-back Stan Journeyman.

Will the rule about playing six players from the previous league game still apply to League One and Two clubs? (Portsmouth ignored that rule anyway). If not then we should play all our young players against the PL kids and play them at their own game!

The rank and file lower league football fan will be against this but unfortunately there will be some people attracted to the glitz and glamour of the Premier League brand and attend the matches wearing their Liverpool/Manchester/Chelsea shirts.

We can’t stop this because it’s been voted in by our clubs but we don’t have to accept it.

Don’t watch Argyle in the League Trophy!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Greenford":3sch9cql said:
Another reason why people prefer the football league compared to the farce that is the premier league. It wouldnt suprise me if Dyke bullied people in the football league for this to go ahead even though most clubs probably voted against this. Everything has to revolve around the premier league and thats sad for the football league its a shame how the premier leagues bully tactics continue year after year but is anyone surprised with Dyke at the helm.

That's all very well..... apart from your facts. Greg Dyke is chairman of the FA and nothing to do with the Premier League.

May 8, 2011
It will be interesting to see where the PL Academy teams will play their home game as most if not all don't use the main stadium, for example most of Everton's U21 games are played at Southport and Manchester City academy has their own ground adjacent to the Etihad, so I doubt if there will be trips to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":zzof6f86 said:
It’s not our fault the PL clubs have stockpiled so many young players and don’t know what to do with them.
We could have the farcical situation, for example, of Boateng being on loan to us for six months in League Two, he goes back to Palace in January and plays against us in the League Trophy semi-final. (Lundan Cabbie will be along shortly).

Ain't gonna happen...... Palace Academy isn't a Cat 1

Feb 2, 2007
Signed petition, it is a ludicrous idea. If it goes ahead can't wait to see a Yard Dog for Grimsby against the next Rashford- it will be brutal!

Sep 7, 2006
A poxy one million quid? Football League negotiators: hang your heads in shame. It's been clear the Premier League guys have been agitating for something like this to happen for a little while. If they are so desperate to give their squads a proper run out, and if we are going to surrender the authenticity of our competition (which, I must admit, I am less fussed about than the other cups we play in), then at least negotiate the lower leagues a shed load of cash for going along with it. Muppets.

Final observation, why would the English Football League need to hold its AGM in Portugal?