EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea

Will you be attending EPL Trophy games next season?

• I will attend as normal

Votes: 49 20.5%
  • I will boycott all EFL Trophy games

Votes: 122 51.0%
  • I will boycott games vs PL U21 sides

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
AFC Wimbledon have issued a statement saying they strongly opposed the idea and voted against it. So who out of the 48 clubs voted for this madness?

Dec 3, 2005
PL2 3DQ":mf1c9q0d said:
AFC Wimbledon have issued a statement saying they strongly opposed the idea and voted against it. So who out of the 48 clubs voted for this madness?

Now that will be very interesting to know - hopefully by Monday we will have a much better idea of the Clubs that apparently voted for this. :banghead: :furious:

Sep 6, 2006
Ed":2au5in4g said:
No B teams in any of our competitions under any circumstances. The entire competition should be boycotted, even if we got to the final I wouldn't go, it's no longer a competition worth winning.

Never was. And I don't want to go to Wembley again!

Feb 28, 2016
Given recent history at Wembley I'm not bothered about going back. I agree with the vast majority of anti feeling on this on thread. I'm not against direct action being taken.

Having said that IF it means a chance to see some youth, to see some fringe players, I'll be there. I wish to support that group so if they are put out, I'll support them (I also think a Bournemouth/Swansea/Chelsea academy side Vs. ours would be a lot closer run than people on here give credit for) I blame our management for us not seeing enough of them without this competition.

I've also heard elsewhere we should protest by putting U16s out. I'm sure anything less then U18s(16+) would be against employment law. SO if we are to protest I think we should register our walking football team.

The point of pitch invasions to disrupt, would only be a small number if a lot stayed home, so would just end up with individuals being banned.

Do I agree with it? No, Should we fight it? Yes, Do I hope we voted against it? Yes. But would I support a team drawn heavily from Plymothian/Devonian/ Cornishl lads from our set up against Man United's U18s at Wembley? Yes I would to.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Firstly it's the JPT which is tin pot in itself! Why not use this as an exercise to give fringe/youth/free agent players a chance to impress or find some form. It's only what the clubs in the premier league do when the League Cups come around. Secondly it may also be a good opportunity for DA and the staff to run the rule over some of the Premier Acadamy talent with a view to potential loans.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
I can't find a link but, allegedly (source: Twitter), Accrington Stanley have said only SEVEN clubs voted against.

Six have publicly stated that they voted against, so hats off to Accrington, Hartlepool, Luton, Portsmouth, Port Vale Wimbledon.

The odds of Argyle still owning the soul seem very short. Explain yourselves.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Signed. What a sham can't believe Argyle would agree to this or then again.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
djg145":1wr1k4em said:
Phil Sloggett":1wr1k4em said:
Like most people on here, I strongly agree to the decision to change the format in this way.

It was obviously never the most important type of game and even as a die hard Argyle fan who attends every home match I did used to wonder "Do I really want to fork out some cash to go and see a glorified friendly in the freezing cold when Champions League is on the television?" (I did always go though).

At least the knockout element had a bit of bite to it though, knowing you weren't that many wins away from a trip to Wembley. Can't see many people wanting to go and see an EFL group game!

Of course the added kick in the teeth of PL sides fielding reserve / academy sides is ridiculous. This decision was made to benefit richer, already more successful clubs with scant regard for smaller, less established clubs OR the fans.

It appears Argyle may have voted against this and I strongly hope that is the case. Some clubs have announced their position already, hopefully ours does too in the not too distant future.

Would be strange not attending a 'competitive' home fixture but like many of you I imagine I will boycott on principle.

Sorry Argyle, I trust you understand!

Is that meant to say disagree?

Absolutely, thank you. That'll teach me for posting at midnight at the end of a busy week! Cheers.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Surely the best route for the PL would be a Football Combination style league restricted to the PL clubs, that way progress can be measured against like for like. I feel doubly angered by the duplicitous manner that the reason given is to improve future England players. I also sincerely hope that the board of PAFC haven`t sold out for 20 pieces of silver, if this is in fact the case then I think their reputation will be permanently damaged. Pride, Ambition, Fortitude,Community.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Mark_Colling":1s5mgj8n said:
I can't find a link but, allegedly (source: Twitter), Accrington Stanley have said only SEVEN clubs voted against.

Six have publicly stated that they voted against, so hats off to Accrington, Hartlepool, Luton, Portsmouth, Port Vale Wimbledon.

The odds of Argyle still owning the soul seem very short. Explain yourselves.

It's true that Wimbledon, Luton, Hartlepool and Accrington have stated they voted against this.

I sincerely hope Argyle voted against this, if they didn't I'll be very disappointed and ashamed.
The clubs that did vote against this have been very quick to come out and say so.

Ed

Dec 1, 2008
mervyn":3qv71ron said:
Am I gloriously alone in believing this is such a mickey mouse cup that I can't work up any indignation at whatever they do to it?

That is exactly the point. no one cares about the JPT. But imagine a couple of years down the line, when England have failed at a tournament again and everyone agrees that something must be done. Now, with the precedent of the JPT, it's easier for the FA and Premier League to say that B teams in the lower leagues work, the idea will be less alien to the vast masses of Sky Sports armchair types who care only for the biggest sides. Would we be able to resist them taking over the league too if they came again then? If, emboldened by the "success" of the JPT experiment and having greater public opinion on their side, they do what they did last time they wanted to take something from us with the EPPP and threaten to withdraw funding? The only response to any attempt to move into our competitions is to say no, the integrity of these competitions must be sacrosanct, anything else and we're just negotiating with bullies how far they can abuse us as by then we're already agreed to the principle that their needs are more important and we exist for their benefit.

Ed":ln6dgii7 said:
mervyn":ln6dgii7 said:
Am I gloriously alone in believing this is such a mickey mouse cup that I can't work up any indignation at whatever they do to it?

That is exactly the point. no one cares about the JPT. But imagine a couple of years down the line, when England have failed at a tournament again and everyone agrees that something must be done. Now, with the precedent of the JPT, it's easier for the FA and Premier League to say that B teams in the lower leagues work, the idea will be less alien to the vast masses of Sky Sports armchair types who care only for the biggest sides. Would we be able to resist them taking over the league too if they came again then? If, emboldened by the "success" of the JPT experiment and having greater public opinion on their side, they do what they did last time they wanted to take something from us with the EPPP and threaten to withdraw funding? The only response to any attempt to move into our competitions is to say no, the integrity of these competitions must be sacrosanct, anything else and we're just negotiating with bullies how far they can abuse us as by then we're already agreed to the principle that their needs are more important and we exist for their benefit.

Good post. Good point.