EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL Trophy. Newport, Wimbledon, Swansea

Will you be attending EPL Trophy games next season?

• I will attend as normal

Votes: 49 20.5%
  • I will boycott all EFL Trophy games

Votes: 122 51.0%
  • I will boycott games vs PL U21 sides

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters
May 16, 2016
Why don't the PL fund a National / Regionalised Reserve league for all League Clubs that wish to enter and put the B sides into that, subsidise the travel costs etc and make a few friends along the way. That way they'd be playing teams with a point to prove in their respective ways, rather than the cosy fitness training pointless stuff they apparently do now .

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
so the Conservative party(government) goes to Bournemouth for its AGM yet the EFL go to Portugal...vive la difference....

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":31zpv6bz said:
How the flip do I know?

IJN... because you are pretty well connected to all things Argyle...maybe Martyn Starnes will in his next Argyle column then as I for one would like to know how Argyle voted,,,,

Apr 4, 2015
We loan these types of player all the time, id be happy to see some future stars lining up against us at home park maybe it would give some of the lazy fu..s on our team the kick up the backside they need to push on and make a better go of things cos at the moment nothing else seems to work. It seems to me that a lot of us on pasoti look backwards instead of forwards and i am sick of the yokel type attitude i see here all the time, our club is failing miserably on nearly every level but still some people persist on thinking nothing is wrong when it so obviously is. Maybe im wrong but after last weeks shambles i want to see progress in whatever form it comes in and if our players are up against higher class opposition i think it can only be a good thing.

Ed

Dec 1, 2008
I would very strongly disagree that allowing the Premier League to play B teams in our competition is in any way progress. I genuinely don't see how we benefit from the occasional game against the top flight's leftovers. If they are better than us it simply means we now no longer have a chance at winning a cup that is meant for us in the lower leagues, our players won't improve being beaten by the Premier League's hoarded talent. It's got nothing to do with a "yokel type attitude" unique to us, fans from all across the country are objectiong to this, or looking backwards, if anything my objections to this are mostly about looking forward, about the very dangerous precedent set in allowing the Premier League to take up space in our competitions. The value and integrity of our competitions has to be defended in the face of aggressive Premier League expasionism, it has to be something we reject on principle every single time else it'll get harder and harder to resist their encroachment.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Like most people on here, I strongly disagree to the decision to change the format in this way.

It was obviously never the most important type of game and even as a die hard Argyle fan who attends every home match I did used to wonder "Do I really want to fork out some cash to go and see a glorified friendly in the freezing cold when Champions League is on the television?" (I did always go though).

At least the knockout element had a bit of bite to it though, knowing you weren't that many wins away from a trip to Wembley. Can't see many people wanting to go and see an EFL group game!

Of course the added kick in the teeth of PL sides fielding reserve / academy sides is ridiculous. This decision was made to benefit richer, already more successful clubs with scant regard for smaller, less established clubs OR the fans.

It appears Argyle may have voted against this and I strongly hope that is the case. Some clubs have announced their position already, hopefully ours does too in the not too distant future.

Would be strange not attending a 'competitive' home fixture but like many of you I imagine I will boycott on principle.

Sorry Argyle, I trust you understand!

Apr 4, 2015
Ed":2zdd7e48 said:
I would very strongly disagree that allowing the Premier League to play B teams in our competition is in any way progress. I genuinely don't see how we benefit from the occasional game against the top flight's leftovers. If they are better than us it simply means we now no longer have a chance at winning a cup that is meant for us in the lower leagues, our players won't improve being beaten by the Premier League's hoarded talent. It's got nothing to do with a "yokel type attitude" unique to us, fans from all across the country are objectiong to this, or looking backwards, if anything my objections to this are mostly about looking forward, about the very dangerous precedent set in allowing the Premier League to take up space in our competitions. The value and integrity of our competitions has to be defended in the face of aggressive Premier League expasionism, it has to be something we reject on principle every single time else it'll get harder and harder to resist their encroachment.

your points in order:

occasional game against the top flights leftovers........FA cup?
a cup that is meant for US in the lower leagues......that is yokel whether you like it or not
our players wont improve by being beaten by the premier leagues hoarded talent......well i disagree, playing against better players will improve the players win or lose imo
value and integrity of our cup comps.....dont make me laugh, JOHNSTONES PAINT trophy, EMIRATES FA cup, etc etc lol
Ed you need to grow up and move with the times as do Argyle, it seems like we never learn and therefore never progress, ive been following Argyle since 83 and we have the same mentality now as we had then and i for one after last week am sick of it.

Aug 29, 2012
Lets make an already unloved competition even worse. And for the genius who landed the concept of a group stage, well done sir. Why not introduce a 2 legged knock out phase while your at it.

Aug 25, 2006
Plymuff, D'em!
Absolutely disgusted with the whole situation.

I will be boycotting all trophy games. Also, if I find out that Argyle have voted to support this nonsense, I will be witholding the £80 I was going to spend on the new shirts, and will not be buying any other merchandise/food/drink/programmes for as long as it takes. I won't like doing that, but dissatisfaction is only noticed when something is done about it..

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Accrington have tweeted that they voted against these changes. Well done to them and for going public.

Dec 3, 2005
Phil Sloggett":3shkwl9g said:
Like most people on here, I strongly agree to the decision to change the format in this way.

It was obviously never the most important type of game and even as a die hard Argyle fan who attends every home match I did used to wonder "Do I really want to fork out some cash to go and see a glorified friendly in the freezing cold when Champions League is on the television?" (I did always go though).

At least the knockout element had a bit of bite to it though, knowing you weren't that many wins away from a trip to Wembley. Can't see many people wanting to go and see an EFL group game!

Of course the added kick in the teeth of PL sides fielding reserve / academy sides is ridiculous. This decision was made to benefit richer, already more successful clubs with scant regard for smaller, less established clubs OR the fans.

It appears Argyle may have voted against this and I strongly hope that is the case. Some clubs have announced their position already, hopefully ours does too in the not too distant future.

Would be strange not attending a 'competitive' home fixture but like many of you I imagine I will boycott on principle.

Sorry Argyle, I trust you understand!

Is that meant to say disagree?

Dec 3, 2005
This is just the tip of the iceberg, the narrow edge of the wedge - we all know what they really want - they want to have 20 teams in each of the Leagues with one more League made up of presently non-league teams and with the sprinkle of Premier reserve sides thrown in, this is just a ploy to reach that goal.