England Manager at Euro 2012 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Manager at Euro 2012

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
Hiddink is a good shout.

The only three I'd be happy with, in this order, are:

'arry
Hiddink
Mourinho

Of the three, only Hiddink, we know, is suited to International football.

Having said that, it's on record that 'arry would find it hard to turn down the England job. Added to that, I read an article, or watched an interview, recently, where he was saying the travel from his home (Bournemouth?) is taking it's toll.

He's a good age to take on the role.

Should he do so, I am very much looking forward to the Euro's, as I know he'd get us playing passionate football; something we've lacked under Capello in my opinion.

We're not as technical as others, we don't play it as fancy as others, but if we can play Internationals as if they're FA Cup finals, I'd be delighted (yes, I do understand the differences in domestic and International football, but it's also 11 v 11 at the end of the day).

Well, like one or two others, my "punditry skills" ( :lol: ) have well and truly deserted me, I really didn't see this coming, and am gobsmacked that Capello has left! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can only assume he must have got a big pay-off to go so quickly and, apparently, with so little fuss (although we do not know what will come out in the days ahead).

I would agree that the last thing England now need is a mediocre Manager appointed just because he is English. For that very reason, Roy Hodgson would be a disaster, he was seriously found out when he tried to manage top players at a big club. In my opinion Redknapp is the only Englishman capable of doing a good job in the role.

Gus Hiddink would be a very good appointment, but I fear the FA have made much too much about the next manager being English to go back on that, so my money is now on Redknapp taking over at the end of the season and in time for Euro 12.

Aug 22, 2006
Gus Hiddink?
Ah yes the chap that led Turkey to qualification! Er not!

As a Greece/Cyprus fan i'm gutted that we may meet in the semis. Would have loved a group game, preferably the second match up. I can see it now - Redknapp giving the team talk "yeah these guys are not great, pretty poo actually, so i'm gonna drop a load of ya but Ledley your going to have a whale of a time against Samaras and Salpangidis, they are pretty poo... yeah and as for my strikers, there's even a start for you Jermaine that Greek defence without Dellas is pretty rubbish! Yeah we are so technically gifted, even though actually the lower league fans slag off the premier league yet they are still so dedicated to us and have such high standards... and look at what I achieved at Plymouth, er sorry Portsmouth!"

90 Minutes later Greece nick it 2-1 and are guilty of playing too defensive! Redknapp calls it a disgrace to footie even though non of the management team of Greece have ever been on 20k a week, let alone 80k a week like a certain manager has.

Hilarious stuff this. Impossible is nothing.

L

Liam Birch

Guus Hiddink please! He has an excellent record with sub-par International teams so would be the perfect fit for England.

B

bathpilgrim

GreenMatt":1x2usxtn said:
I'm fully prepared for the barrage of abuse this post may lead to but...

Could/should we bring back Sven?

Someone talking common sense at last.

The FA and British Press should get on their knees and beg Sven to come back and rescue us. He is England's best manager ever (statistically), he is out of work, he has an up-to-date knowledge of English football and we know he would do it.

B

bathpilgrim

Neilio":1s4buxzy said:
bathpilgrim":1s4buxzy said:
Sven to come back and rescue us. He is England's best manager ever (statistically), he is out of work, he has an up-to-date knowledge of English football and we know he would do it.

In what way statistically?

I think you'll find the best England manager (statistically) has just left, and old Sven finds himself down in fifth......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16941457

OK fair enough, but I'd like to go with.....

Win % + loss % + progress in major tournaments = the best manager ever on paper.

A

Anonymous

Despite the clamour I am not sure that Harry Redknapp would feel comfortable taking the England job full time. He loves and thrives upon the day to day contact with players that club football gives and the England job means you spend more time with the suits at Wembley HQ than with the players.

Having said that I imagine deep down part of him would love to manage his country. So what about the perfect compromise. Stuart Pearce takes over for the Netherlands game and then Redknapp takes over just for the European Championship before returning to Tottenham to lead them into Europe next year and fulfill his contract with them.

Clearly the emotion of defending his good name has taken a toll upon him as his statement on the steps of the Court illustrated. Throwing himself full time into the cauldron of being England's manager may not appeal to him particularly as he has had his health problems lately. Hence, the suggested compromise and then post tournament the FA can look to a longer term appointment leading up to the next World Cup.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
In all seriousness, if the FA want an English manager who has coached some of the top clubs in Europe, who has coached at international level, who is a genuinely good coach and has a habit of getting the most out of a mediocre squad, then there is nobody out there other than Roy Hodgson. He also has no baggage unlike other candidates.

But then he's an old school manager and a real gent, and I'd hate to see him get ripped to pieces by the gutter press, so its probably for the best he probably won't get the job.

B

bathpilgrim

I'm sad to see Capello go because he is a winner...but.....a new manager always lifts a team. If you ever want to win a tenner bet someone down the pub that hew manager at XYZ team will get more points in his first 5 games of his new job than the following 10 and you will more often than not win (anecdotal, I have not done a thorough analysis).

I don't know why a new manager has such a dramatic effect, is it a clean sheet of paper for players, is it a whole new team talk that lifts them until become immune to it, is it a kick up the bum for established players that have become complacent and then must start playing for their place ???????

My favoured choice is Sven certainly until after Euro 12.

If we are obsessed with an English Manager then I would put Redknapp in charge and let him see out the season at Tottenham as well. He would need strong support from people around him. Managing the England games would be easy enough, there are only 3 and they are in the evenings, but the real work is done is trapsing around 4 or 5 Premier League games a week looking at players, something that Harry probably couldn't do so he would need a close and trusted deputy to do that job. Also, and I hate to indulge the muppets who write things like "football is all about money" but I imagnie that there are a lot of commercial committments that the manager must attend leading into a big tournament and Harry wouldn't be able to do most of that and still focus on Spurs so the FA may qualify him out on that basis.