England Manager at Euro 2012 | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Manager at Euro 2012

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
As an "quick fix" temporary manager, to make an impact for Euro 2012, I'd have Hollowords. :shock: We'd do well & it'd be an enjoyable tournament to watch for a change.

Get the "right manager" afterwards, the best ones are tied to clubs in the critical end of season games. It will take them time to get the squad sorted, their style adopted, coaching team in place etc etc...

B

bathpilgrim

Peter Ryan":2t7ghyo3 said:
bathpilgrim":2t7ghyo3 said:
I'm sad to see Capello go because he is a winner.

:lol: :lol: :lol: One who disliked England; couldn't be arsed to learn the language; was dictatorial with his players to the extent that they were deflated and bored in Rustenburg; was too arrogant to think through the Terry issue beyond his childlike gut reaction; and whose record in the one tournament who managed us in was shocking.

Capello lovers - remember Bloemfontein!!!

Mr Ryan - this is what a winner does.........

As a player

Roma
Coppa Italia (1): 1968–69
Juventus
Serie A (3): 1971–72, 1972–73, 1974–75
Milan
Serie A (1): 1978–79
Coppa Italia (1): 1976–77

As a coach

Milan
Serie A (4): 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96
Supercoppa Italiana (3): 1992, 1993, 1994
UEFA Champions League (1): 1993–94
European Super Cup (1): 1994
Coppa Italia Primavera (1): 1984–85
Roma
Serie A (1): 2000–01
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2001
Juventus
Serie A (2): 2004–05, 2005–06 (both revoked)
Real Madrid
La Liga (2): 1996–97, 2006–07

Individual

Serie A Coach of the Year: 2005
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2009

But it will all be OK though because we are foing to get the guy that won the 3rd division with Bournemouth and beat a second division team to win the FA Cup - brilliant !!!!

L

Lord Tisdale

Nobby":3pgyv9jn said:
I've written this - http://wp.me/p27o3V-4i - for a blog i'm part of. Basically why I think Redknapp isn't the man for the job and The FA are to blame for England's current shambles.

Xenophobic for wanting a English, England manager?

Which other major footballing nation has ever had a foreigner as national team manager?

Which international tournament of note has ever been won by a country not managed by one of its own?

Can you even imagine an Italian, French, Dutch, Spanish, German, Braziliian, Argie or any other top team being managed by a foreigner?

I would take McClaren back rather than pay £6 million a year to some mercenary, in fact I would far rather take Pearcey and give him a 10% wage bump over his U21 money even though he is totally clueless, nobody could possibly have done a worse job than Crappy did in South Africa.

it's academic anyway, we have little or no chance of winning the Euros or the next World Cup, we never will do as long as the best youngsters get 40 grand a week as soon as they turn 18, they all think they have made it and stop improving.

Harry is obviously the man for the job, Crappy's club record didn't count for owt when the pressure was on, our performances in the WC were nothing short of pathetic so let's not knock Harry for never having had a 'big club', trouble is he won't take it and leave Spurs in the lurch, this season is his best ever chance of laying down a marker by which his entire career will be judged, he isn't going to pass that up with the very real chance of us turning out to be utter crap at yet another tournament when in reality there would be very little he could do about it..

Oct 24, 2010
Nobby":2lvgzilf said:
Guus Hiddink. Managed at international level before, succesful club manager, good English, very humble, professional manager. Would like to see him or Mourinho.

Harry doesn't have the ability to make our current average squad world beaters.
Mourinho is a good shout to take over at Spurs when Harry leaves to manage England

Oct 24, 2010
Quinny":413iktwp said:
Quinny":413iktwp said:
In all seriousness, if the FA want an English manager who has coached some of the top clubs in Europe, who has coached at international level, who is a genuinely good coach and has a habit of getting the most out of a mediocre squad, then there is nobody out there other than Roy Hodgson. He also has no baggage unlike other candidates.

But then he's an old school manager and a real gent, and I'd hate to see him get ripped to pieces by the gutter press, so its probably for the best he probably won't get the job.

Well, it didn't take the gutter-press long, did it? They're already bringing up a story of where caretaker-manager Stuart Pearce racially insulted Paul Ince in 1994 (which Stuart apologised for at the time) and also noting that Pearce's brother once stood as a BNP candidate.
If that story is true how do the FA justify having Pearce as manager of the U21's yet strip Terry of the captaincy, before he's been found guilty.

Oct 24, 2010
bathpilgrim":2v84lic5 said:
Peter Ryan":2v84lic5 said:
bathpilgrim":2v84lic5 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: One who disliked England; couldn't be arsed to learn the language; was dictatorial with his players to the extent that they were deflated and bored in Rustenburg; was too arrogant to think through the Terry issue beyond his childlike gut reaction; and whose record in the one tournament who managed us in was shocking.

As a player

Roma
Juventus
Milan

As a coach

Milan
Roma
Juventus
Real Madrid

Individual

But it will all be OK though because we are foing to get the guy that won the 3rd division with Bournemouth and beat a second division team to win the FA Cup - brilliant !!!!
That's the problem, England's finest is second rate. But if someone (Capello) who can lay claim to being the best manager in the world struggles what chance has anybody else got? We simply don't have the players.

Mar 31, 2006
Bradford Yorkshire
Lord Tisdale":26l1an84 said:
Nobby":26l1an84 said:
I've written this - http://wp.me/p27o3V-4i - for a blog i'm part of. Basically why I think Redknapp isn't the man for the job and The FA are to blame for England's current shambles.

Which other major footballing nation has ever had a foreigner as national team manager?

Bobby williamson? ;)

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
esmer":1i2wj5ik said:
bathpilgrim":1i2wj5ik said:
Peter Ryan":1i2wj5ik said:
bathpilgrim":1i2wj5ik said:

As a player

Roma
Juventus
Milan

As a coach

Milan
Roma
Juventus
Real Madrid

Individual

That's the problem, England's finest is second rate. But if someone (Capello) who can lay claim to being the best manager in the world struggles what chance has anybody else got? We simply don't have the players.

This is nearer the truth Esmer. Players likely to be in the squad in the Euros who could realistically have been classed as World class at one time or another in their career are probably the likes of Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard based on club performances, even if they have often failed to perform in big competitive matches for England. Terry and Lampard no longer play to their previous high level and I would say the same to some extent about Cole, all part of an ageing Chelsea squad. Gerrard is very injury prone and has never really performed fantastically well in an England shirt and Rooney will miss 2 games. Of the players not yet at their peak Hart is probably the only one who at this stage could be considered close to World class, so on current form and age we have a dearth of top class/world class players.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Lord Tisdale":5d4aep4t said:
Nobby":5d4aep4t said:

Which international tournament of note has ever been won by a country not managed by one of its own?

1) Yes, it is xenophobic. If you're judging whether somebody is capable depending on their nationality, it's xenophobic.

2) Scolari took Portugal to a World Cup final & a 4th place Euro finish. Hiddink has also done well with Russia.

3) German Otto Rehagel won the Euro's with Greece in 2004.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
My worry about Redknapp is that in the past he has said the so called "Golden Generation" are still more than good enough to perform at a major tournament so how tempted would he be to bring the youngsters through.

Yes he would install the passion but any English manager could do that...

Would be interest to see how he might work tactics wise etc.

Least 'arry will have the media and most fans onside.

Feb 19, 2006
Torpoint
Nobby":1ixi18f4 said:
Lord Tisdale":1ixi18f4 said:
Nobby":1ixi18f4 said:

1) Yes, it is xenophobic. If you're judging whether somebody is capable depending on their nationality, it's xenophobic.

2) Scolari took Portugal to a World Cup final & a 4th place Euro finish. Hiddink has also done well with Russia.

Oh FFS another thread where we're about to debate f***ing racism, xenophobia or whatever :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
french-doors":14clrmgd said:
Nobby":14clrmgd said:
Lord Tisdale":14clrmgd said:
Nobby":14clrmgd said:

Oh FFS another thread where we're about to debate f***ing racism, xenophobia or whatever :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've mentioned racism, xenophobia a number of times and the debate i've had with other members has been good. Just because we're talking about it doesn't mean we're all gonna be super-PC and uppity about it. It's making for good discussion thus far.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
James Owen":21eujw8m said:
Lord Tisdale":21eujw8m said:
Nobby":21eujw8m said:

Bobby williamson? ;)

Berti Vogts (4 major nations; Kuwait, Scotland, Nigeria & Azerbaijan) ;)

L

Lord Tisdale

Nobby":1d21dtxx said:

1) Who is judging capable? I am talking desirable, World Cups and Euros are supposed to be competitions between nations, in my humble and apparently rabidly xenophobic opinion.

2) When did Portugal reach a WC final and what qualifies them as a major nation ?

3) Decent shout except of course there is always an exception which proves every rule.