Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If we were short in the left back position then fair enough but we aren't and I'd like to see young Ben be given the the chance to make it his.

We have to prioritise the budget and get players on the right areas first like centre midfield, left and right sided midfield and up front.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Tugboat":ol83fa99 said:
If we were short in the left back position then fair enough but we aren't and I'd like to see young Ben be given the the chance to make it his.

We have to prioritise the budget and get players on the right areas first like centre midfield, left and right sided midfield and up front.

This is pretty much where I sit on this.

Nothing wrong with Sawyer - he'd be a cracking left-back at this level. But Purrington needs to get a chance - he should have had one last year, it was disgraceful Sheridan picked the frankly rubbish THD in front of him.

Maybe, even if Purrington gets 40 games next season he still won't ever really make it - but I'll tell you what, he definitely won't if we don't give the boy a fair shot.

Sep 8, 2013
Agree with those who feel that sorting out the midfield is our number 1 priority and then up front where an astute signing is also urgently needed.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
But what happens if Purrington gets badly injured during a game and gets a lengthy lay out? We need back up in each position.

Would welcome Sawyer back in open arms.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Andy Holland":1hvfwzf2 said:
Tugboat":1hvfwzf2 said:

This is pretty much where I sit on this.

Nothing wrong with Sawyer - he'd be a cracking left-back at this level. But Purrington needs to get a chance - he should have had one last year, it was disgraceful Sheridan picked the frankly rubbish THD in front of him.

Maybe, even if Purrington gets 40 games next season he still won't ever really make it - but I'll tell you what, he definitely won't if we don't give the boy a fair shot.
Tugboat":1hvfwzf2 said:

Mostly agree with you both, however i believe we are short at left back, we only have Ben Purrington ( Carl McHugh by popular opinion is not a left back), if Derek Adams decides there is enough in the budget to strengthen the midfield, attack and still recruit Gary Sawyer, then i think he would be a good signing and if Ben is capable of playing a full season of league 2 football he should be capable of challenging Gary Sawyer for a regular place in the team, hopefully we have a manager who will give all his players , young or old opportunities to impress. Also if Gary Sawyer is about to sign it doesn't necessarily mean that Derek Adams isn't in negotiations to sign midfielders or attackers.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
greenwelly":2l4lqzfo said:
Agree with those who feel that sorting out the midfield is our number 1 priority and then up front where an astute signing is also urgently needed.

I don't think the order in which players are signed really effects the quality/impact of each signing, but I do get your point. Sawyer does seem a somewhat needless signing. Who knows, maybe the budget has been increased and quality in depth is truly affordable. The rest of the summer shall be telling, looking forward to it.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
I don't know if the OP has or has not inside knowledge. But the ensuing conversation gives credence to what he says.

So, if it is true, seems an odd decision and potentially damaging to another young Argyle home grown prospect.

The treatment handed out to both Harvey and Purrington last year was nothing short of scandlaous. Purrington who performed excellently at the end of the previous season should have seen his star rise during the 2014-15 season, yet he was cast aside. How degrading to his confidence was that?

Now, the thought that he will again be second best and not shown any faith in will be a message to other young players. Of course, this could be a malicious rumour and Ben will rightly start where he should have been last season, nurtured and encouraged.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
tonycholwell":17vqb7ay said:
Of course, this could be a malicious rumour and Ben will rightly start where he should have been last season, nurtured and encouraged.
... or it could be that the club fully expect Ben to be elsewhere next season?

No inside knowledge but lots of things are possible.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Rumours suggest that BP is off to Norwich, in which case we will need a left back.

Aug 10, 2006
if he sign's let's hope he is the last of the old boy's, new start new manager new player's needed to get us out of this division.

Sep 8, 2013
If it is a likely scenario that BP is to move on then a LB signing such as GS IS needed, that I do accept.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
If Purrington is off to bigger and better things then good luck to him, I just hope Argyle get a fair price, including add-ons.

Sawyer would be an adequate replacement. But he would be a like for like replacement, not an additional signing to provide competition. It is unrealistic to expect a League 2 team to have 24 players fighting for 11 places, this is Argyle not Chelsea or Man. City.

As well as being an under-performing Manager with poor motivational skills and a lack of tactical nous, Sheridan's treatment of Purrington last season was shocking.

His obsession with loan players meant that we gave Holmes-Dennis 20-odd games of League experience at the expense of Purrington.

It may have been understandable if he was actually a better player, but he wasn't!

C

Cobi Budge.

demportdave":oseisoqf said:
If Purrington is off to bigger and better things then good luck to him, I just hope Argyle get a fair price, including add-ons.

Sawyer would be an adequate replacement. But he would be a like for like replacement, not an additional signing to provide competition. It is unrealistic to expect a League 2 team to have 24 players fighting for 11 places, this is Argyle not Chelsea or Man. City.

As well as being an under-performing Manager with poor motivational skills and a lack of tactical nous, Sheridan's treatment of Purrington last season was shocking.

His obsession with loan players meant that we gave Holmes-Dennis 20-odd games of League experience at the expense of Purrington.

It may have been understandable if he was actually a better player, but he wasn't!

True.

Sheridan's obsession with short term loan fixes really must have hindered the progress of some of the younger lads.

Can't see Adams being like that.

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":3f0hfmnh said:

Still trolling for a reaction Dave? Purrington will most likely follow the same illustrious career paths as Luke Young and Nathan Thomas, I suppose you consider Sheridan's treatment of them 'shocking' too? He should never have let those two go, they're setting the World alight eh!