Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed

Jun 8, 2014
I really hope he isn't, Cobi.

While loans are needed to supplement the side every now and again, some of his decisions were a bit off. I think, as everyone says, it's fine if the loan player comes in and does well and then holds his place, but THD was consistently poor throughout his loan and his position never once came into question.

Personally I'd like to see Purrington developed into more of a midfield player, perhaps an anchor man or deep lying midfielder. A decent left back but unsure of him at left wing back.

Would take Sawyer either way, you don't just pass up quality if it's there (I don't know if he IS quality, but you get the idea).

C

Cobi Budge.

Agree RE Luke Young, not good enough and never developed as a player. I think the fact he was a local lad often cloaked his lack of physicality. Wish him luck but I don't think he'll get higher than L2.

Not RE Thomas though, a raw prospect that should have been kept, he's still at the same level as us and I think he'll do well with Mansfield. Adams style seems to be fast wingers swinging over crosses, AKA Thomas.

C

Cobi Budge.

Paven":3bu0hgc8 said:

While loans are needed to supplement the side every now and again, some of his decisions were a bit off. I think, as everyone says, it's fine if the loan player comes in and does well and then holds his place, but THD was consistently poor throughout his loan and his position never once came into question.

Personally I'd like to see Purrington developed into more of a midfield player, perhaps an anchor man or deep lying midfielder. A decent left back but unsure of him at left wing back.

Would take Sawyer either way, you don't just pass up quality if it's there (I don't know if he IS quality, but you get the idea).

I think some people are assuming we'll go into the season playing 352 just because we are so used to it. I don't think we will. Will be a good change if we opt an organised 442 with some decent wingers.

McCormick

Mellor
Nelson
McHugh
Purrington/Sawyer

New player
Cox
AOC/new player
New player

Reid
Smalley/Harvey/Brunt

It would be refreshing to see us get through the season with no long term loans.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Paven":1qd5li72 said:

Disagree. Holmes-Dennis was inconsistent, good and bad but he wasn't consistently poor.

C

Cobi Budge.

I wasn't a big Sheridan fan but when all is said and done, he's a professional football manager, if Purrington couldn't get in ahead of THD at his worst, then maybe he has a bit of a way to go. Just a thought.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":vxb4nwxz said:
I wasn't a big Sheridan fan but when all is said and done, he's a professional football manager, if Purrington couldn't get in ahead of THD at his worst, then maybe he has a bit of a way to go. Just a thought.

Absolutely. The manager sees them every day and it is on the training ground that a youngster needs show the boss that he has something to offer but this is something that the supporters never see. How can fans be critical of the selection of youth players when they see only a small percentage of what they are producing.

The real problem for players like Purrington and Harvey is the fact that Argyle's youth development programme stops at 18 when they need it to continue because as players, they're not completely ready. The Milk Cup is coming up for the under 17 lads and Gordon Bennett will tell us how valuable it is for up and coming footballers. How many of that squad will be ditched at 18? The Milk Cup will be a wonderful experience for them but won't be any help to those who will be trying to find the job centre in a year or so.

If Derek Evans wants to develop the youngsters at Home Park then he needs the resource of an under 21 development set up otherwise he will be as hindered when it comes to youth as John Sheridan was.

For the long term self sustainability of the club I would say that this is as important as promotion this season, if not more so.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":5vw3dhe3 said:
Cobi Budge.":5vw3dhe3 said:

Absolutely. The manager sees them every day and it is on the training ground that a youngster needs show the boss that he has something to offer but this is something that the supporters never see. How can fans be critical of the selection of youth players when they see only a small percentage of what they are producing.

The real problem for players like Purrington and Harvey is the fact that Argyle's youth development programme stops at 18 when they need it to continue because as players, they're not completely ready. The Milk Cup is coming up for the under 17 lads and Gordon Bennett will tell us how valuable it is for up and coming footballers. How many of that squad will be ditched at 18? The Milk Cup will be a wonderful experience for them but won't be any help to those who will be trying to find the job centre in a year or so.

If Derek Evans wants to develop the youngsters at Home Park then he needs the resource of an under 21 development set up otherwise he will be as hindered when it comes to youth as John Sheridan was.

For the long term self sustainability of the club I would say that this is as important as promotion this season, if not more so.
the thing is lundan our former manager :D didn't see them every day.i think he didn't like janners myself.who in their right mind would say tyler harvey is a defensive midfielder?

Jun 8, 2014
PL2 3DQ":2mzglr7m said:
Paven":2mzglr7m said:

Disagree. Holmes-Dennis was inconsistent, good and bad but he wasn't consistently poor.

Hmm. He had a good spell at the beginning and a half decent spell at the end. He went through a good 6 weeks or so of being consistently poor though.

However, like Purrington, I think he was better at left back than left wing back.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1fr53jan said:
Cobi Budge.":1fr53jan said:

WoW not another Evans :facepalm:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pearces greens":29jf4shs said:
Lundan Cabbie":29jf4shs said:
Cobi Budge.":29jf4shs said:

WoW not another Evans :facepalm:

Where the hell have I got that from?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
chronicgreen":dkec7b5m said:
demportdave":dkec7b5m said:
If Purrington is off to bigger and better things then good luck to him, I just hope Argyle get a fair price, including add-ons.

Sawyer would be an adequate replacement. But he would be a like for like replacement, not an additional signing to provide competition. It is unrealistic to expect a League 2 team to have 24 players fighting for 11 places, this is Argyle not Chelsea or Man. City.

As well as being an under-performing Manager with poor motivational skills and a lack of tactical nous, Sheridan's treatment of Purrington last season was shocking.

His obsession with loan players meant that we gave Holmes-Dennis 20-odd games of League experience at the expense of Purrington.

It may have been understandable if he was actually a better player, but he wasn't!

Still trolling for a reaction Dave? Purrington will most likely follow the same illustrious career paths as Luke Young and Nathan Thomas, I suppose you consider Sheridan's treatment of them 'shocking' too? He should never have let those two go, they're setting the World alight eh!
Look in the mirror if you want to see a troller

I merely expressed the opinion that I thought Purrington was badly treated by the previous Manager who apparently had little interest in developing our own young players because of his obsession with loan players, as some Chesterfield fans had warned.

I think many others had a similar view. You will not find any postings from me lamenting the loss of Young or Thomas either, so that is a complete red herring on your behalf.

In fact I was critical of Thomas in that I just didn't think he was good enough and was rather over-rated by some fans.

Interestingly, I am not permitted to criticise Sheridan yet you sarcastically dismiss the career prospects of one of Argyle's young players who has yet to be given an extended run in the team. Bit of a double standard there.

You are quite pathetic in your eagerness to discredit any view I express just because it is contrary to your own, particularly regarding Sheridan, who I reckon few if any are sorry now that he has gone, including even you I suspect.

This site is intended to give everyone the opportunity to express their thoughts and opinions on our club and how it is being run.

So why don't you grow up and try posting some original views and opinions yourself and stop hanging on my every utterance.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":3gkcoh1c said:
Lundan Cabbie":3gkcoh1c said:
Cobi Budge.":3gkcoh1c said:

the thing is lundan our former manager :D didn't see them every day.i think he didn't like janners myself.who in their right mind would say tyler harvey is a defensive midfielder?

Somebody would have seen them though. Management is sometimes about delegation and trusting those around you.

Did JS really say that Steve? Did he really say that Tyler Harvey was a defensive midfielder? Probably closer to the truth is that he didn't think he was quite cut out to be a striker but rather than throw him on the footballing scrap heap, he thought there was something in there and midfield was given a go to see of between them they could find his true football vocation.

I

I'mArgyleinDubai

First signing of the summer on its way in a moment according to the official Twitter account! Who is it going to be?